"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" FUNimation English Dub Official Announcement and Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alruneia
I Live Here

Re: Funimation Buu release guess?

Post by Alruneia » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:27 pm

mecha3000 wrote:Ah, it just feels so good not getting my hopes up and who knows? - Maybe, if I don't get my hopes up - It will be even better if something does come up.
My philosophy as well. It's better to be positively surprised than have expectations and get let down. I have no expectations for Buu Kai to start in December, so I'll be very happy if it actually happens, but I won't be very let down if it doesn't.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:31 pm

I know it's very wishful thinking, bit I hope that FUNimation sort out that horrible green tint that for some un-Goldy reason Toei though would be appropriate when remastering and re-cutting the Majin Boo arc for Kai.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:49 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I noticed that comment too. Sadly I don't see this happening either as Toonami will most likely only have 6 episodes aired by the time February comes around. Although since Kai 1.0 did well despite already being available on home media it would be nice if Funimation releases episodes of the arc before they air on TV, it would be nice to not have to wait longer than a year to have my Kai collection complete.
Yeah, Kai released May 18 2010 before airing on May 24 2010 on Nicktoons so it's possible. But just like you, I want to finally have all of Kai complete. Only then will all of my attention be moved officially to DB Super (like most of the fanbase who don't even give a shit about Kai). I just purchased Kai: Part Two on Blu-ray so my collection currently looks like:

- Dragon Ball Z Kai: Part One (DVD), Dragon Ball Z Kai: Part Two (Blu-ray), Dragon Ball Z Kai: Parts Three and Four Bundle (DVD), Dragon Ball Z Kai: Seasons 3 and 4 (Blu-ray) - I literally made sure I owned all of the ones containing Kenji's soundtrack because that's how I originally watched Kai. Previously I never owned Parts 2 and 4. So, I ended up getting Seasons 1-4 (but was unsatisfied with the Kikuchi replacement). So, I'm planning to sell Seasons 1-2 of Kai one day somehow.

But yeah, my shelf is just begging to have Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters - Part 1 (or whatever Funimation calls it) right next to my Kai: Season 4 Blu-ray. So as soon as it's available on Amazon, I'm pre-ordering that sunna-bitch!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:20 pm

I feel like we have our own group/clique on this thread :lol: Final few people who care about this product!

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:25 pm

I swear, this winter's gonna be so fun when Kai comes!!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:28 pm

Bansho64 wrote:I swear, this winter's gonna be so fun when Kai comes!!
Sucks that we finally get a good dub of Kai but it has shitty Sumitomo music. Visual wise I don't mind Kai 2.0 but the music...

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:29 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I feel like we have our own group/clique on this thread :lol: Final few people who care about this product!
More people will join us once it airs (I think).
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:30 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sucks that we finally get a good dub of Kai but it has shitty Sumitomo music. Visual wise I don't mind Kai 2.0 but the music...
It's definitely pretty crappy in places, but, I think it also has its good moments.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:50 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I feel like we have our own group/clique on this thread :lol: Final few people who care about this product!
Pretty much. The people posting here and in the Ocean Kai thread are the very definition of loyal.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:50 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:I believe he talked about Goku choking up abit during the goodbye, which is not a good thing.
I agree in most cases that they shouldn't change anything but this is a rare exception where I think adding that bit (if it's true) is a good thing and an improvement over the original.

During that scene Goku thought he'd never see his son again so him choking up a bit isn't that big of a change and it adds a bit more to his character.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:10 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Sucks that we finally get a good dub of Kai but it has shitty Sumitomo music. Visual wise I don't mind Kai 2.0 but the music...
Sumitomo is nothing I can't get over, but I'm surprised that you can stand the visuals. The remastering is far, far worse than Funimation's Orange Bricks or Blu-rays. I guess that goes to show how different tastes and priorities can be.
Retired.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:19 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Sucks that we finally get a good dub of Kai but it has shitty Sumitomo music. Visual wise I don't mind Kai 2.0 but the music...
Sumitomo is nothing I can't get over, but I'm surprised that you can stand the visuals. The remastering is far, far worse than Funimation's Orange Bricks or Blu-rays. I guess that goes to show how different tastes and priorities can be.
I wouldn't go that far. I mean, yeah, the remastering of the Majin Boo arc of Kai is terrible but it's nowhere near as bad as the Orange Bricks. The Blu Ray's also kinda got better in quality after Season 3.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:20 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
I wouldn't go that far. I mean, yeah, the remastering of the Majin Boo arc of Kai is terrible but it's nowhere near as bad as the Orange Bricks. The Blu Ray's also kinda got better in quality after Season 3.
Is that a challenge? Because now I'm determined to prove it. Expect comparisons in the hour.
Retired.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:39 pm

I wish they'd replace Josh Martin with another actor for Majin Buu.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:11 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I wouldn't go that far. I mean, yeah, the remastering of the Majin Boo arc of Kai is terrible but it's nowhere near as bad as the Orange Bricks. The Blu Ray's also kinda got better in quality after Season 3.
I didn't feel the need to include the Orange Bricks, since they're essentially obsolete anyway. Here's a comparison between the broadcast of Boo Kai and the last 3 Seasons of the Funi Blu-Rays. All of these images I've dug up are cropped down, so don't judge based on that. This is only a comparison of the picture quality itself.

That said, here we go:

[spoiler]Kai is on the top, Funi's Blu-rays on the bottom.

Image Image[/spoiler]

Image Image[/spoiler]

Image Image[/spoiler]

Image Image[/spoiler]

Image Image[/spoiler]

If you ask me, Funimation wins every time. Not to say that I don't want Boo Kai to come, but it's really worth noting how badly it was put together, if only for those who are still undecided on whether or not to buy upon release.
Retired.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:27 pm

Honestly, if they can't put it out in 4:3, then they should just cut together the footage from their own Blu-ray remaster and use that instead.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:43 pm

From still images alone, I like the Funi Blu-ray look better. But how do they look in motion? Because the Funi Blu-rays used heavy DNR and some of that grain kind of leaked through on the borders of clouds. Does The Final Chapters have this problem?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:30 pm

thaman91 wrote:From still images alone, I like the Funi Blu-ray look better. But how do they look in motion? Because the Funi Blu-rays used heavy DNR and some of that grain kind of leaked through on the borders of clouds. Does The Final Chapters have this problem?
I don't know the specifics, but it looks like Boo Kai went through a similar process as Funimation's, and it's blatantly obvious. The only thing noticeably better about the look of Boo Kai is the line art, which is not a high bar to begin with.
Retired.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:01 pm

thaman91 wrote:From still images alone, I like the Funi Blu-ray look better. But how do they look in motion? Because the Funi Blu-rays used heavy DNR and some of that grain kind of leaked through on the borders of clouds. Does The Final Chapters have this problem?
This is also something I'd like to see.
Plus, we don't know if Buu Kai has a 4:3 version. Kai 1.0 was always broadcast in widescreen, and was even presented that way on the DVDs, but on the Blu-Rays, they had the proper 4:3 presentation.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:03 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
This is also something I'd like to see.
Plus, we don't know if Buu Kai has a 4:3 version. Kai 1.0 was always broadcast in widescreen, and was even presented that way on the DVDs, but on the Blu-Rays, they had the proper 4:3 presentation.
We can be fairly sure that it doesn't exist. No release in any country has been 4:3 so far. Even if it did, Funimation will definitely not put out that version.
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.