900 Minutes of Uncut Action, DBZ Season 1 Arrives

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:57 am

Been watching the set for the past few days. I'm currently watching episode thirty as I type this and here are my thoughts so far:

- Widescreen isn't that bad...during the early episodes. Once the main Saiya-jin battle begins, the cropping is VERY noticeable and gets really annoying.

- I see dirt all over the picture and I don't mean once in awhile, I mean almost every shot. :?

- Whoever did the mixing for the 5.1 English w/ Japanese Music track needs to lower the volume of the VAs. I can barely hear any of the sound effects or music.

- Speaking of audio problems...in the episode where Gohan is trying to escape Piccolo by using his raft thingy, listen to the scene where he's attacked by the giant eagle in the original japanese audio track. The eagle's sound effects sound a lot like the clarity of the 5.1 mix and is MUCH louder than anything else in that scene. I dunno if this is just my set having this problem though. There was another audio glitch in another scene in the japanese audio track but I can't remember it. :?

- Is it me, or did they use the Cha-La opening from one of the movies...? Because the audio is so much clearer and louder than the rest of the japanese track.

- The "revised" english dialogue is bull. It's almost the exact same script as the original Ocean dub only with FUNimation's so-so english cast. Most of the time, the original Ocean VAs did these lines at a much higher quality level than the current VAs do. Gah.

- HOLY CRAP IS THE ORANGE HYPNOTIC. This thing sticks out like a sore thumb in my DVD collection.

So, to me, I got what I paid for. Take that as you will. :P
Last edited by Brad Redfield on Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:01 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:Really? I haven't watched the box cover-to-cover yet, can you point out a part or two? I typically pick up on that stuff, and while I've only watched about 5 of the movies so far, I don't remember anything bugging me like the old EVA releases/new DBZ set.

-Corey
Like I said it isn't anything too terrible. Haven't watched it in a while my self, but one instance that made me really notice it was the "trailer" for movie 12. Nothing too specific comes to mind right now, but I'm sure it's there.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:05 am

SatoSky wrote:Like I said it isn't anything too terrible. Haven't watched it in a while my self, but one instance that made me really notice it was the "trailer" for movie 12. Nothing too specific comes to mind right now, but I'm sure it's there.
Oh, yeah. I'm pretty certain the trailers and such weren't remastered just like the educational shorts on the other DragonBoxes.
- Is it me, or did they use the Cha-La opening from one of the movies...? Because the audio is so much clearer and louder than the rest of the japanese track.
No, it's not from the movies I'm pretty sure. I know this much, it's the wrong variation of the animation...again >_>;;

-Corey

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:12 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:No, it's not from the movies I'm pretty sure. I know this much, it's the wrong variation of the animation...again >_>;;

-Corey
For episodes 1-21, yeah... :shock:

Anywho, I've now seen all 39 episodes. It's just like when I started with disc 1, the wide-screen really doesn't bother me. Watching this set to enjoy the show, not focusing every ounce of attention on cropping and film scratches that doesn't ruin the viewing experience for me, is reason why watching these episodes is an excellent experience for me. While I'm never gonna touch that useless dub w/t broadcast music track, the Japanese version with Steve's subs and new dub w/t JP BGM is what keeps me entertained above all. As someone who wants all of DBZ in a manner in which I can fully understand the series in a fantastic quality, this set is perfect for me.

Also, gotta love the Marathon feature. :D
14 years later

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:33 am

I still would be interested in seeing a screencap of a Pioneer/original Funimation/UUE/"perfect" edition/Dragonbox comparison. If not just for color variation/grain.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:34 am

BrollysKin wrote:I still would be interested in seeing a screencap of a Pioneer/original Funimation/UUE/"perfect" edition/Dragonbox comparison. If not just for color variation/grain.
I can provide the latter two, if someone wants to pick a scene and provide the others.

-Corey

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:45 am

What do you think of 1-39?
Since I'd previously bought the UUEs and seen up to episode 27, so far I've just watched 28-39. It's the first time I've seen this part in Japanese since I never saw fansubs for these episodes. I've long considered this saga to be one of my favorites (mostly because Vegeta was still allowed to be a total badass :wink: ), and it was great to finally get to watch it in the original language. I was especially pleased with the scene where Gokuu is begging for Krillin to let Vegeta go. I was surprised at how emotional it was. Watching the dubbed versions before, I never really felt anything from it, but the Japanese version....it moved me. The music (one of my favorite instrumentals from the series), Nozawa Masako's acting....it all came together (though I always find it humorous to watch Vegeta in the background still struggling to crawl into his spaceship ^_^)

I was also a bit surprised to see that the animation was mostly pretty good. Did triangle crap animator not start until the Freeza saga?

And I liked how the actual Vegeta Vs. Gokuu fight was relatively filler free. The saga was a bit front loaded in that regard, what with all the Gokuu on Snake Way and Gohan Training episodes. At least the main action was only occasionally interrupted by the characters at Kame House.

Next step: watching the dub with the Japanese music.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:07 am

Brad Redfield wrote: - The "revised" english dialogue is bull. It's almost the exact same script as the original Ocean dub only with FUNimation's so-so english cast. Most of the time, the original Ocean VAs did these lines at a much higher quality level than the current VAs do. Gah.
I agree, that really pissed me off. Besides from a few lines changed here and there, its almost identical. Way to flat out lie to us Funi.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:30 am

Sun_Wukong wrote: Way to flat out lie to us Funi.
Not neccesarily true. Remember, the trailers and press releases said they were re-releasing the whole series this way.

I'll bet dimes for dollars that we'll see a lot of "revised English dialogue" once Season 3/Freeza Saga comes out on these DVD sets, and onward.

- Bilis
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Strongbad456
Beyond Newbie

Post by Strongbad456 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:57 pm

I might be getting the set today. My mom is going to look for it in Best Buy. I really want to see it. Also Funi did change some dialogue. I'm pretty sure they got rid of Tenshinhan saying that his arm will grow back and they got rid of Vegeta saying Bardock was a scientist. Also I don't think the infamous parachute line is there anymore either. They should have changed more but atleast they had changed some dialogue for the UUEs.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:04 pm

Strongbad456 wrote:I might be getting the set today. My mom is going to look for it in Best Buy. I really want to see it. Also Funi did change some dialogue. I'm pretty sure they got rid of Tenshinhan saying that his arm will grow back and they got rid of Vegeta saying Bardock was a scientist. Also I don't think the infamous parachute line is there anymore either. They should have changed more but atleast they had changed some dialogue for the UUEs.
Those were all changed in the TV airing and DVD releases of the "Ultimate Uncut Edition" episodes already, though. These are essentially the same audio track as then, since they already fixed up that nonsense.

I think people are mainly looking to compare what audio changes will be made in season three onwards. There's really nothing they need to change in an audio track that was only done in the last two years, as opposed to the horse shit they produced almost ten years ago.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:38 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
BrollysKin wrote:I still would be interested in seeing a screencap of a Pioneer/original Funimation/UUE/"perfect" edition/Dragonbox comparison. If not just for color variation/grain.
I can provide the latter two, if someone wants to pick a scene and provide the others.

-Corey
It doesn't really matter to me. I just wanted to get a good comparison shot of the two.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:45 pm

I watched some of the dub last night. Seems like the exact same script from the Ocean days.

The only difference i caught is when Vegeta kills Nappa and tells him that maybe he won't be such a disappointment "when you're dead!" rather than "In another dimension!"

This is my first time seeing the "Ultimate Uncut" dub, and I have to say it's definitely much lazier than i was expecting. Boo.

PiccoloDaimao

Post by PiccoloDaimao » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:59 pm

I been a dragonball/z/gt fan for about 11 years now, and I have to say this is one of the best packages out there in terms quality and best bang for your buck.

The only "Anal" complaints I have is

- The original "Cha La Head Cha La" doesn't play for the japanese music/american voice version, but does play "Zenkai Power" at the end which I thought was strange.

But theres not a problem because you can just use your DVD remote and switch it to the pure japanese music/japanese voice to hear the original "cha la head cha la" theme.

As far as the picture quality goes, its freakin sweet. Yes, I actually called something funimation made "freakin sweet". You don't even notice the cropping at all, and the cropping that is done actually is an improvement over the original instead of it being an abomination.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:47 pm

How the hell is it an improvement? FUNimation is cutting footage from the top and bottom of the screen! :roll:

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:51 pm

PiccoloDaimao wrote:You don't even notice the cropping at all, and the cropping that is done actually is an improvement over the original instead of it being an abomination.
I jsut got mine in the mail and have watched a bit. I would be kicking myself if it wasn't so cheap. But saying I don't notice the cropping?!?! C'mon!

The two things wrong with the vids are as follows:

1) Cropping, everyone already knows this...

but...

2) The amount of dirt and scratches on the film are just EVERYWHERE in what I've seen so far. To say this was remastered is retarded. All they did was blur the image to help with the film grain.

The colors still aren't the same, but I'm convinced the masters they have do not have the correct colors. So, I won't fault them for it.

Still, the dirt you could almost forgive them for, but why go with widescreen? I dunno...
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:13 pm

PiccoloDaimao wrote:As far as the picture quality goes, its freakin sweet. Yes, I actually called something funimation made "freakin sweet".
I love that since FUNi announced the whole Widescreen thing that everytime someone says something positive about FUNi (especially in relation to DBZ) they have to immediately follow it up with something like "That's right, bitches! I've got the balls to say FUNi did something right! Wanna fight about it?"

Of course, like PiccoloDaimao here he happened to be a bit nicer about how he said it and I'm not picking on him in particular. I just noticed that a lot of Season 1 supporters like to flaunt that they can stand up to someone who has an opposing opinion on the Internet.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

PiccoloDaimao

Post by PiccoloDaimao » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:35 pm

I'm not saying the complete opposite just to be different. I'm honestly pleased with the job they did. I'm just saying the complaints people are making seem to be overly dramatized about the most minuscule things. This package is too good to pass up on such little complaints. We are allowed to share different opinions on this board, am I right?
Last edited by PiccoloDaimao on Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:40 pm

Personally I think the set looks terrific. There were a couple one second clips where Widescreen pissed me off, but other than that, golden.

The biggest gripe was after Vegeta comes back down after being hit by the Genki Dama, he hits Krillin, and Krillin is laying on the floor and coughs up blood, but you can barely see this due to the widescreen, it's a few second shot, so it did take me out of it for a second.

EDIT: hey, what's up with the Mark Menza score? Listening to it for the first time and I'd have to say he blows Faulconer out of the water. The music has absolutely no personality/emotion to it whatsoever, and is nice BGM, rather than Faulconers deafeningly loud synth crap.

I'll take crappy music I don't notice that much versus crappy music that blares incessantly all the time anyday.

Daizensushi-x
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daizensushi-x » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:48 pm

Undercooked Sausage wrote: EDIT: hey, what's up with the Mark Menza score? Listening to it for the first time and I'd have to say he blows Faulconer out of the water. The music has absolutely no personality/emotion to it whatsoever, and is nice BGM, rather than Faulconers deafeningly loud synth crap.

I'll take crappy music I don't notice that much versus crappy music that blares incessantly all the time anyday.
Meh, It's a matter of opinion. Go listen to Dragonball GT's US dub then see if you still prefer him. :wink:
-My First short film
Revenge at the Dojo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCK5q8Bcof8