DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by Noah » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:52 pm

I wonder if we'll see the "Genuine Demon" catchphrase in the second part :think:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:31 pm

Noah wrote:I wonder if we'll see the "Genuine Demon" catchphrase in the second part :think:
That or Pokemon speak on Broli's part.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:23 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:And the Number #1 Villan is :[spoiler]Freeza[/spoiler]
Well, the fanfiction version of him anyway. Most of the traits they praise him for weren't really present in the manga. Like:

1. Being "Emperor of the Universe". Manga-wise he's just a particularly powerful pirate. We've no indication he actually rules populated planets and we're explicitly told that his group simply depopulates them and sells them. Toriyama even said that Freeza's "army" is less an army, and more a convenient band of followers.

2. Their comment that "Buu's actions only resulted in the loss of a few planet in the grand scheme of things". Manga-wise, Kaioshin said Buu destroyed thousands of planets, while we've no evidence Freeza and co have depopulated (not destroyed) more than a couple hundred at most. Anime-wise, Freeza's group probably has destroyed far more than a couple hundred planets (off-screen), but we explicitly see Buu erasing billions of stars (and presumably the planets around them) in that flashback to when he was Pure and then Fat. In terms of on-screen evil against bystanders in both mediums, Freeza only ever directly killed Cargo and a few thousand saiyans, while Buu killed billions of humans.

Furthermore, the comment about his "impact in the universe spanning farther than any other" seems rather odd when Buu not only destroyed more worlds, but killed gods.

3. "...he was only forced to bow to Goku after forcing him to fulfill an ancient millennia-old alien prophecy"- there is no prophecy, not really. There was one line by Vegeta that someone somewhere at some time incorrectly said that Super Saiyans show up once every 1,000 years probably. That's it. If there was a prophecy, not only was it so barebones as to be essentially meaningless, it'd be a completely bunk prophecy that meant nothing, since clearly there's more than 1 Super Saiyan every 1,000 years. It's also never said how old this "prophecy" is. I'd guess the anime gave more significance to it.

4. "His overall demeanor contradicts his personality wickedly... his dialogue is polite and flowery to a T... his calm polite demeanor"- manga Freeza is a short tempered thug who acts like a short tempered thug. Not sure about how he is in the anime, but I never recall any real politeness from manga Freeza. Or jokes or anything else really. Just a lot of threats, bragging about how strong he is, and utterly losing his shit at the tiniest annoyance.

5. "He screams, hollers, and digs into his bag of insults and threats against his opponents, undermining his composure in a way that is shocking-" as a contrast to his "usual demeanor" apparently. But when was being calm and polite ever his usual demeanor? He loses his shit constantly at everyone. From that Namekian destroying his scouters to Vegeta stealing his dragon balls to Nail taunting him about how he lost the dragon balls. He's clearly off his rocker long before he starts to be outclassed in power. We see him do it constantly throughout the first half of the arc, so how is it shocking when he does it again in the second half?

Also, nitpick, but how does the Super Saiyan transformation change the tone of the series? Daimao's actions did that.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:50 pm

The best part of part 1 of the Broly special was the return of Councilor/Grand Vizier Nappa.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:23 am

RandomGuy96 wrote: Well, the fanfiction version of him anyway. Most of the traits they praise him for weren't really present in the manga. Like:

1. Being "Emperor of the Universe". Manga-wise he's just a particularly powerful pirate. We've no indication he actually rules populated planets and we're explicitly told that his group simply depopulates them and sells them. Toriyama even said that Freeza's "army" is less an army, and more a convenient band of followers.
The planet Vegeta goes to get healed after his fight with the Earthlings is called Planet Freeza #79 (yes, it's called that even in the Manga), which means that Freeza has at least 79 planets under his control. The Dragon Ball Z anime has an episode called "A Tough New Enemy! The Emperor of the Universe, Freeza" and Jaco refers to Freeza as the "Evil Emperor", so at least on the Anime's side of things (which is the more prolific version in the west), Freeza is considered an emperor, and in the manga he's definitely a bit more than just a space pirate. Maybe a space warlord at the least.
2. Their comment that "Buu's actions only resulted in the loss of a few planet in the grand scheme of things". Manga-wise, Kaioshin said Buu destroyed thousands of planets, while we've no evidence Freeza and co have depopulated (not destroyed) more than a couple hundred at most. Anime-wise, Freeza's group probably has destroyed far more than a couple hundred planets (off-screen), but we explicitly see Buu erasing billions of stars (and presumably the planets around them) in that flashback to when he was Pure and then Fat. In terms of on-screen evil against bystanders in both mediums, Freeza only ever directly killed Cargo and a few thousand saiyans, while Buu killed billions of humans.

Furthermore, the comment about his "impact in the universe spanning farther than any other" seems rather odd when Buu not only destroyed more worlds, but killed gods.

3. "...he was only forced to bow to Goku after forcing him to fulfill an ancient millennia-old alien prophecy"- there is no prophecy, not really. There was one line by Vegeta that someone somewhere at some time incorrectly said that Super Saiyans show up once every 1,000 years probably. That's it. If there was a prophecy, not only was it so barebones as to be essentially meaningless, it'd be a completely bunk prophecy that meant nothing, since clearly there's more than 1 Super Saiyan every 1,000 years. It's also never said how old this "prophecy" is. I'd guess the anime gave more significance to it.
Can't argue with these two. I thought the same thing when they brought up Majin Boo in their video.
4. "His overall demeanor contradicts his personality wickedly... his dialogue is polite and flowery to a T... his calm polite demeanor"- manga Freeza is a short tempered thug who acts like a short tempered thug. Not sure about how he is in the anime, but I never recall any real politeness from manga Freeza. Or jokes or anything else really. Just a lot of threats, bragging about how strong he is, and utterly losing his shit at the tiniest annoyance.

5. "He screams, hollers, and digs into his bag of insults and threats against his opponents, undermining his composure in a way that is shocking-" as a contrast to his "usual demeanor" apparently. But when was being calm and polite ever his usual demeanor? He loses his shit constantly at everyone. From that Namekian destroying his scouters to Vegeta stealing his dragon balls to Nail taunting him about how he lost the dragon balls. He's clearly off his rocker long before he starts to be outclassed in power. We see him do it constantly throughout the first half of the arc, so how is it shocking when he does it again in the second half?
Not sure what version of the manga you're reading. Before the Dragon Balls turn to stone, we never really see Freeza completely lose it. Sure, his composure cracks on occasion when his henchmen screw up, or Vegeta or the others get the best of him, but that's usually in the privacy of his own ship or among his subordinates. Most of the time he is polite and composed, and he speaks in what is called "Keigo" (meaning Polite Speech). He refers to his subordinates with "san" (or "Mr." in the manga), and Vegeta even notes his change in demeanor at one point
So much for 'My Dear' and 'Mister Vegeta'.
Yes he brags, insults, and threatens a lot, but it's the way he does it. There's a faux-politeness to it that makes him come across so much more vile and condescending than the brash and rough-around-the-edges Vegeta. Chris Ayres in the dub of Kai gets this across wonderfully.
Also, nitpick, but how does the Super Saiyan transformation change the tone of the series? Daimao's actions did that.
For better or worse, Super Saiyan did change not just Dragon Ball, but mainstream Shounen Manga as a whole. The idea of main characters going into some sort of "Super Mode" wasn't really a thing before that. The closest things were Great Ape (which only happened a handful of times throughout the manga) and Kaioken (which was more-or-less a precursor to Super Saiyan anyways). Nowadays, most modern Shounen have at least one type of Super Mode the character can go into, whether it's Kyuubi Mode from Naruto, Luffy's Gears in One Piece, or Ichigo's Hollow form in Bleach, and do I even need to bring up Super Sonic? I'm sure the concept existed before Dragon Ball, but Super Saiyan is what made it such a prolific trope in anime.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:54 am

I kind of hate that this movie was put into parts... It's like the movies have become episodes which, it reminds me of that huge cliff hanger The Walking Dead did. That was awful, awful wait. It's like I'm stuck at a buffering screen right now.

Anyways... Part 1 was good like everything else that's been put out. I'm not really liking the voice of Paragus so much, really sounds like Dr Gero. I liked how the knife didn't pierce Broly and how it was Nappa's idea, also loved how Goku was searching and playing detective. Pretty funny when he see saw Tao Pai Pai and Cell. :lol: The whipping of the slaves was kinda awkward to watch though.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:27 am

DanielSSJ wrote:[The planet Vegeta goes to get healed after his fight with the Earthlings is called Planet Freeza #79 (yes, it's called that even in the Manga), which means that Freeza has at least 79 planets under his control. The Dragon Ball Z anime has an episode called "A Tough New Enemy! The Emperor of the Universe, Freeza" and Jaco refers to Freeza as the "Evil Emperor", so at least on the Anime's side of things (which is the more prolific version in the west), Freeza is considered an emperor, and in the manga he's definitely a bit more than just a space pirate. Maybe a space warlord at the least.
Freeza Planet #79 is where I got the "couple hundred at most" bit from; that's the only indication we get on the scope of Freeza's operations in the manga. But the thing is, he doesn't seem to have any coherent government or an empire consisting of billions or trillions of individuals. We're told his SOP is just to depopulate planets and sell them (so the populations of those various planets are probably demographically non-existent), and we only see him riding around with a few dozen lackeys. That doesn't sound at all like an emperor. That sounds like a pirate who kills people and takes their stuff. Which is essentially what Freeza is; a particularly powerful space pirate. Toriyama even said that he based Freeza off "land shark" speculators that were prolific in Japan in the 90s, not any actual ruler of an empire, further supporting the idea that he just sells land.

I don't care about the anime. I'm specifically referring to the 42 volumes.
Not sure what version of the manga you're reading. Before the Dragon Balls turn to stone, we never really see Freeza completely lose it. Sure, his composure cracks on occasion when his henchmen screw up, or Vegeta or the others get the best of him, but that's usually in the privacy of his own ship or among his subordinates.
I just cited several examples. His demeanor cracks at the drop of a hat throughout the first half of the arc. Thus, it's not really a shock when it continues to crack throughout the second half. It's really nowhere near as rare as his fans like to say it is.
For better or worse, Super Saiyan did change not just Dragon Ball, but mainstream Shounen Manga as a whole. The idea of main characters going into some sort of "Super Mode" wasn't really a thing before that. The closest things were Great Ape (which only happened a handful of times throughout the manga) and Kaioken (which was more-or-less a precursor to Super Saiyan anyways). Nowadays, most modern Shounen have at least one type of Super Mode the character can go into, whether it's Kyuubi Mode from Naruto, Luffy's Gears in One Piece, or Ichigo's Hollow form in Bleach, and do I even need to bring up Super Sonic? I'm sure the concept existed before Dragon Ball, but Super Saiyan is what made it such a prolific trope in anime.
None of that has anything to do with tone though. That was my issue.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:21 am

Not really a fan of any form of Freeza. He's too similar to Saiyan Saga Vegeta for me. I like villains such as Imperfect Cell and Fat Buu, I feel they're more creative.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:31 am

Broly Part 1 was pretty good overall. I was waiting to see what they did with Broly, and I was not let down. Broly's voice and his obsession with power levels was hilarious. I wonder how he's going to act in his triggered form in part 2.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:58 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:but we explicitly see Buu erasing billions of stars (and presumably the planets around them) in that flashback to when he was Pure and then Fat.
Funny how you say you're only counting the manga but then mention an anime-only scene...
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:42 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:but we explicitly see Buu erasing billions of stars (and presumably the planets around them) in that flashback to when he was Pure and then Fat.
Funny how you say you're only counting the manga but then mention an anime-only scene...
Genuine question, do you actually read before you respond? I specifically differentiated the anime and the manga to show that TFS's comment makes no sense no matter what version you're using.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:19 pm

Alright Hellsing Ep. Always up for a good Sonic flogging so that's a plus.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:36 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Alright Hellsing Ep. Always up for a good Sonic flogging so that's a plus.
That joke had me laughing way more than it should of. I'm sorry, Sonic fandom, I know you're always getting shat on... But FUCK that was funny.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:53 pm

Kanassa wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Alright Hellsing Ep. Always up for a good Sonic flogging so that's a plus.
That joke had me laughing way more than it should of. I'm sorry, Sonic fandom, I know you're always getting shat on... But FUCK that was funny.
Hey the Sonic fandom knows what they're known for. Plus, Kaiser's a furry, so it's okay right? He at least approved the joke.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:00 pm

FoolsGil wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Hey the Sonic fandom knows what they're known for. Plus, Kaiser's a furry, so it's okay right? He at least approved the joke.
But is he a sonic furry? :D

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:02 pm

FoolsGil wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
They deserve it alright...but there's a potential light in the distance of crap...so maybe then the jokes will end..........nah the fans have already dug too deep a hole, and this coming from a guy who at least is a fan of some things from it still if the avatar wasn't obvious enough. :lol:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:05 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:
Kanassa wrote: That joke had me laughing way more than it should of. I'm sorry, Sonic fandom, I know you're always getting shat on... But FUCK that was funny.
They deserve it alright...but there's a potential light in the distance of crap...so maybe then the jokes will end..........nah the fans have already dug too deep a hole, and this coming from a guy who at least is a fan of some things from it still if the avatar wasn't obvious enough. :lol:
Meh, the Sonic fandom get universally shat on (And I feel it's mostly undeserved because Sonic is just the cool thing to hate), it's that dead horse that people keep beating when someone tries to use a room freshner on it... That sounded way more insulting than I intended.
What does SS4 Gohan have to do with Sonic?

Kanassa wrote:

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:32 pm

Kanassa wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:
Meh, the Sonic fandom get universally shat on (And I feel it's mostly undeserved because Sonic is just the cool thing to hate), it's that dead horse that people keep beating when someone tries to use a room freshner on it... That sounded way more insulting than I intended.
What does SS4 Gohan have to do with Sonic?
It also gets shat on from it's poor decisions and it's own official backers starting to do self deprecation for them to mitigate the jokes. It's series is shat on cause of numerous reasons and baffling decisions, while also having the most bizarre dark fanbase of all time.

Uh try refreshing. I have 2 avatars. One of Gohan, and another different one.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:57 pm

Wow I really wasn't trying to start up shit, lord knows we all have our kinks. I like to think the Sonic Fandom, like the official twitter handle, takes it all in stride. At least, that's me being optimistic.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:03 am

FoolsGil wrote:Wow I really wasn't trying to start up shit, lord knows we all have our kinks. I like to think the Sonic Fandom, like the official twitter handle, takes it all in stride. At least, that's me being optimistic.
Oh no from what I hear they're doing great. Not a fan of the meme's and self deprecation jokes, but when they do good, they really do good. They at least have a better relationship with fans lately than Nintendo does. Nintendo is pissing people off as of late.