Kai Episode 1 (05 April 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:19 pm

Does anyone have a screencap of Raditz's uncolored tail? Or if not, when does it occur?

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:52 pm

jda95 wrote:Does anyone have a screencap of Raditz's uncolored tail? Or if not, when does it occur?
It's during Piccolo's FIRST encounter with Raditz. Right after he fires off his ki blast, for a FRACTION of a FRACTION of a second it's visible before being engulfed by the glow of the blast.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:03 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:
jda95 wrote:Does anyone have a screencap of Raditz's uncolored tail? Or if not, when does it occur?
It's during Piccolo's FIRST encounter with Raditz. Right after he fires off his ki blast, for a FRACTION of a FRACTION of a second it's visible before being engulfed by the glow of the blast.

That's it? That's what people were upset about?
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:08 pm

Kendamu wrote:
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:

>>LOLsnip<<
That's it? That's what people were upset about?
Remember, these are the same fans who complain about Gogeta's fusion jacket colours being different from Gotenks'.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:18 pm

Thanks for the reminder. I tend to forget that sometimes now that I've relaxed my own standards a bit.
(they/she)

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:31 am

Do not forget about Piccolo's wrist which is green. The animators probably ran out of colors while drawing the scene.

shotkeeper
Regular

Post by shotkeeper » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:48 pm

Funny how every mistake Kai has, is being excused. While at Funimation the same people were whining about the most smallest thing.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:08 pm

shotkeeper wrote:Funny how every mistake Kai has, is being excused. While at Funimation the same people were whining about the most smallest thing.
Animators are human and sometimes make mistakes, but at least Toei took the time to use actual humans to manually re-animate scenes. FUNimation got some guy to throw their film in some auto-filter and left it at that. That's the difference.
(they/she)

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:23 pm

shotkeeper wrote:Funny how every mistake Kai has, is being excused. While at Funimation the same people were whining about the most smallest thing.
It's easier to excuse a piece of tail or arm that's not colored than 20% of the picture being gone plus washed out colors. And Kai's cropping is not an issue, as that's how Dragon Ball Kai is supposed to be presented, not Dragon Ball Z.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

shotkeeper
Regular

Post by shotkeeper » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:04 pm

B wrote:
It's easier to excuse a piece of tail or arm that's not colored than 20% of the picture being gone plus washed out colors. And Kai's cropping is not an issue, as that's how Dragon Ball Kai is supposed to be presented, not Dragon Ball Z.
1.Lol may I ask you if Funimation has 20 % gone, how many Kai has. I think it's almost the same, but maybe I'm wrong.

2. Don't you see that Kai is also blurred? Maybe you should compare it to dragonbox, like Funi's remastered always has been.

3. Why would Kai's cropping not be an issue... I don't see anything else than Dragonball Z in the show, maybe you see something new :S .

So if Funimation left episodes out and made the episodes smaller and stamp a new name on it. You would accept it ? :D . Because they already have a stereo dub and a new BGM ( doesn't matter if it sucks).

Thrust me, I'm totally not a Funi-fan, I just don't understand why Funi sucks THAAAAT much and Kai is being excused for everything.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:11 pm

shotkeeper wrote:
B wrote:
1.Lol may I ask you if Funimation has 20 % gone, how many Kai has. I think it's almost the same, but maybe I'm wrong.

2. Don't you see that Kai is also blurred? Maybe you should compare it to dragonbox, like Funi's remastered always has been.

3. Why would Kai's cropping not be an issue... I don't see anything else than Dragonball Z in the show, maybe you see something new :S .

So if Funimation left episodes out and made the episodes smaller and stamp a new name on it. You would accept it ? :D . Because they already have a stereo dub and a new BGM ( doesn't matter if it sucks).

Thrust me, I'm totally not a Funi-fan, I just don't understand why Funi sucks THAAAAT much and Kai is being excused for everything.
1. Doesn't matter, Kai is supposed to be cropped.
2. Didn't notice that. I was more referring to FUNimation running the film tthrough some machine resulting in colors being too bright or too dark.
3. Because Kai doesn't have two black bars on the top and bottom.

If FUNimation could do it right? Yes, I would, because Dragon Ball Z, quite frankly, sucks. It's got too much filler sprinkled into the manga material which absolutely ruins the pacing, leading to useless episodes where literally nothing happened, and when Toei decides to make some sort of story arc on their own, it isn't very good, and ends up contradicting past and future manga material. I'm pretty sure FUNimation left all that in, and their subpar script writing only makes it worse.

That is why Kai is being excused. It's deleting what makes DBZ utter shit, reagrdless of what language you're watching it in. FUNimation did not do that.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:19 pm

shotkeeper wrote:Thrust me, I'm totally not a Funi-fan, I just don't understand why Funi sucks THAAAAT much and Kai is being excused for everything.
Walk into an American store
You: Hi! I'd like Uncropped, fullscreen Dragon Ball Z Please!!
Shopkeeper: They Don't make that Anymore. FUNimation canceled production on those once their new Season sets started coming out. Plus, there's about 30 episodes worth that they NEVER released in fullscreen to begin with.

Walk into a Japanese store
You: Hi! I'd like Uncropped, Unedited Dragon Ball Z Please!!
Shopkeeper: Sure, Coming right up Sir! Toei has made this available and never canceled production on it. You actually have a Choice in Japan!!

Verdict: Toei gets a pass
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:26 pm

No. No, no, no. They're not getting a pass, they just haven't made a mistake(yet, it's only been two episodes) that's worth flipping out or bitching at those who have a problem with the Seaon Sets for. It's cool if you're that dedicated a fan, but a piece of Kame House beach missing or a miscolored wrist or a fraction of Umigame's flipper being offscreen ISN'T important. At all.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:29 pm

As a note, to the best of my ability I compare Kai to the manga instead of comparing it to the Dragonball Z anime. So far, it's matching up closely enough and paced at a comfortable enough speed for me that I find it very entertaining to watch. If at some point that changes, I'll change my opinion the same as how I changed my opinion of the Dragonball Z anime once I got ahold of VIZ's translated manga.

Until then, my sig explains it all.
(they/she)

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:50 pm

Eh, I'm still not fine with the cropping. No matter what you call it, you really can't deny that the frames they're using were made with the intention of a 4:3 frame. They "fix" a few frames here and there, but overall I prefer the original aspect ratio.

Also, people seem to say "it's Z" and "it's not Z" whenever it's convenient. It *is* Z when you want to say that the same thing is available in 4:3 on the Dragon Boxes, but it's NOT the same when talking about whether or not cropping is bad. It's Kai, so the "original" framing doesn't exist. It just sounds ridiculous to me.

This doesn't mean Kai sucks, but it does mean that there is an aspect of its production that I am by no means happy with.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:12 pm

I honestly don't understand why people are arguing over Remastered Z and DBKai...

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:17 pm

ShinRogafuken wrote:I honestly don't understand why people are arguing over Remastered Z and DBKai...
Because people STILL like to call us hypocrites for liking Kai but Hating FUNi Remastered Z
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:59 pm

DemonRin wrote:
ShinRogafuken wrote:I honestly don't understand why people are arguing over Remastered Z and DBKai...
Because people STILL like to call us hypocrites for liking Kai but Hating FUNi Remastered Z
I don't like FUNi's goddamn cropping either. Cropping is cropping. Selective or not, it's not the way the image was meant to be seen when it was animated.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:18 am

Toei ARE the creators of the anime... don't they have a say in that?
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:23 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:Toei ARE the creators of the anime... don't they have a say in that?
I think I can have an opinion independent of the creators, actually.

More than that, it's not the exact same set of people making the calls anymore, I'm sure. It's a corporation a good 20 years later.