Is Kai Moving Along Too Fast?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Tue May 12, 2009 11:22 pm

DemonRin wrote:One Piece is proof of this.
Actually, it's not.

One Piece:

-Is made by the same studio
-Airs on the same channel
-Is on at roughly the same time

It could EASILY be a decision in the hands of Toei animation, whether through the timeslot or the fact that they simply choose to self-censor without any particular guidelines saying they have to.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Tue May 12, 2009 11:27 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:
DemonRin wrote:One Piece is proof of this.
Actually, it's not.

One Piece:

-Is made by the same studio
-Airs on the same channel
-Is on at roughly the same time

It could EASILY be a decision in the hands of Toei animation, whether through the timeslot or the fact that they simply choose to self-censor without any particular guidelines saying they have to.
One Piece:

-Used to be on a later timeslot
-Used to show pools of blood under people
-Got moved to an earlier timeslot
-Pools of blood stopped happening even when they were there in the manga

I'm sorry, Toei isn't the evil company that's destroying Dragon Ball

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Wed May 13, 2009 12:00 am

DemonRin wrote: One Piece:

-Used to be on a later timeslot
-Used to show pools of blood under people
-Got moved to an earlier timeslot
-Pools of blood stopped happening even when they were there in the manga

I'm sorry, Toei isn't the evil company that's destroying Dragon Ball
And that just shows that it's the timeslot. It should have been aired later. There is a place on Japanese TV for the kind of content that a Dragon Ball anime is meant to have, and Kai hasn't put in such a forgiving timeslot.

Toei isn't evil, I have no emotional investment in them being evil. They're just also not saints. They're a large corporation, they make products, and those products can be considered good or bad for a variety of reasons.

But a business decision was made to take out what they did. Is it possible that they could have gotten another timeslot? Maybe. Who knows? But they aren't saints, pushed into potentially bad decisons only by the violent forces of happenstance, like a feather in a hurricane.

And even if they were, then they shouldn't have gotten into that territory in the first place. If it was unavoidable, then respect for the original product would dictate that either the whole project should be scrapped, or the offensive scenes would have to be re-animated and directed to not stick out and look horrendously stupid.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed May 13, 2009 6:28 am

Who cares about "respect for the original product"? Toei is just a company trying to make the highest possible profit. Dragon Ball Kai is aimed at little kids in Japan, not you. Is it really that hard to grasp!?

Gouki*
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gouki* » Wed May 13, 2009 7:33 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Who cares about "respect for the original product"? Toei is just a company trying to make the highest possible profit. Dragon Ball Kai is aimed at little kids in Japan, not you. Is it really that hard to grasp!?
Clearly it is quite hard to grasp.
... Maybe later.

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Wed May 13, 2009 8:24 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Who cares about "respect for the original product"? Toei is just a company trying to make the highest possible profit. Dragon Ball Kai is aimed at little kids in Japan, not you. Is it really that hard to grasp!?
Considering that's what I've been saying, no, it's not really that hard to grasp at all.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Wed May 13, 2009 2:45 pm

rereboy wrote:
Senzu_Bean wrote:I have been watching DBZ lately (Cell absorbed #18 today) and the episodes pace are awful. One episode entirely focused if Vegeta is going to let Cell absorb #18 is just darn ridiculous. Not to mention the fillers are fucking stupid- if Trunks is as strong as Vegeta why wouldn't he be capable of destroy Cell if he had the chance to? Ridiculous! I already prefer Kai over Z without doubts.
Sic radical? :lol:

I watched the episode today too, and yeah the pace is terrible.

In my previous post I was just trying to say that they could do even better.
Yeah! Just finished watching today's episode (Cell finally became perfect!) and, again, the pace is ridiculous awful. Let see:

- 7 minutes to Cell transform and thus Trunks screaming like a bitch and Krillin & #16 looking with retard faces;

- 5 minutes of crap at Kame's house (with a ridiculous Yamcha/Chiaotzu scene);

- 4 minutes of Gohan and Goku training in the RoSaT;

- And only 4 minutes of Kanzentai Cell, which was supposed to be the focus of the episode. But worse, more than half of stupid fillers. If Trunks hits doesn't do nothing to Cell why would Vegeta still be confident over Cell? Ridiculous!

I am still wondering how are they going to handle the awful animated episodes of the Artificial Humans saga.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Wed May 13, 2009 4:04 pm

Senzu_Bean wrote:Yeah! Just finished watching today's episode (Cell finally became perfect!) and, again, the pace is ridiculous awful. Let see:

- 7 minutes to Cell transform and thus Trunks screaming like a bitch and Krillin & #16 looking with retard faces;

- And only 4 minutes of Kanzentai Cell, which was supposed to be the focus of the episode. But worse, more than half of stupid fillers. If Trunks hits doesn't do nothing to Cell why would Vegeta still be confident over Cell? Ridiculous!

I am still wondering how are they going to handle the awful animated episodes of the Artificial Humans saga.
I have never liked that about Z, I remember when I was a kid the episode title said something along like 'Goku becomes a Super Sayajin 3' the whole episode was him powering up, the SS3 didn't show up.

Some quotes from ED:
[...]constipated super-apes who spend 15 minutes talking about how powerful they are and the next 5 screaming at the top of their lungs.

[...]there is almost no fighting, and if there is, it's not until you realize you wasted 20 minutes of your life to see a 3 second fight.

[Powering up image] Constipation?

[Another power up image]Moar constipation
It's funny because it's true :lol:

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed May 13, 2009 5:23 pm

Rod wrote:
Senzu_Bean wrote:Yeah! Just finished watching today's episode (Cell finally became perfect!) and, again, the pace is ridiculous awful. Let see:

I have never liked that about Z, I remember when I was a kid the episode title said something along like 'Goku becomes a Super Sayajin 3' the whole episode was him powering up, the SS3 didn't show up.

Some quotes from ED:
[...]constipated super-apes who spend 15 minutes talking about how powerful they are and the next 5 screaming at the top of their lungs.

[...]there is almost no fighting, and if there is, it's not until you realize you wasted 20 minutes of your life to see a 3 second fight.

[Powering up image] Constipation?

[Another power up image]Moar constipation
It's funny because it's true :lol:
That's the sad truth about Drag-On Ball Z.
The pacing in Z started out OK during the Saiyan Arc, but headed downhill REALLY fast, and by the time Namek happened it was just TERRIBLE, and it never got any better.
I can deal with a little censorship (PLEASE Stop saying it's "As bad as" or "worse than" Saban. There was blood in Raditz' mouth, dripping from Piccolo's arm, and under Son's body when he disappeared. Saban wouldn't have even allowed THAT)
But I can deal with it if Kai fixes the horrid pacing of DOBZ.

Catterix2006
Beyond Newbie

Post by Catterix2006 » Thu May 21, 2009 6:33 pm

DemonRin wrote: That's the sad truth about Drag-On Ball Z.
The pacing in Z started out OK during the Saiyan Arc, but headed downhill REALLY fast, and by the time Namek happened it was just TERRIBLE, and it never got any better.
I can deal with a little censorship (PLEASE Stop saying it's "As bad as" or "worse than" Saban. There was blood in Raditz' mouth, dripping from Piccolo's arm, and under Son's body when he disappeared. Saban wouldn't have even allowed THAT)
I don't think the pace was ever very good for Dragonball Z, even in the Saiyan Saga, it took them 21 episodes to cover 19 chapters. That's just terrible, abysmal pacing, Kai's done in 8 what Z did in 21 episodes, and that's with a bit of filler.

The censoring doesn't bother me too much, I just think some of it looks rubbish. The ash-mark on Goku's chest that looks like someone poked it with a lit cigarette just looks wank, if it was a black hole that looked deep, I wouldn't mind in the slightest.

Great name for the series btw :lol:
I love humans, always seeing patterns in things that aren't there.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Thu May 21, 2009 7:20 pm

Catterix2006 wrote:
DemonRin wrote: That's the sad truth about Drag-On Ball Z.
I don't think the pace was ever very good for Dragonball Z, even in the Saiyan Saga, it took them 21 episodes to cover 19 chapters. That's just terrible, abysmal pacing, Kai's done in 8 what Z did in 21 episodes, and that's with a bit of filler.

The censoring doesn't bother me too much, I just think some of it looks rubbish. The ash-mark on Goku's chest that looks like someone poked it with a lit cigarette just looks wank, if it was a black hole that looked deep, I wouldn't mind in the slightest.

Great name for the series btw :lol:
The Saiyan arc had better pacing because they focussed most of the filler in the Saiyan saga on throwaway filler eps that you can just ignore should you so choose. They didn't stretch out canon material for it. Like, if I wanted to I could watch a much better version of the Saiyan Saga right now by watching my DVDs I already have and just skipping several episodes and I wouldn't lose any of the story really.
It's really when you get to Namek where they spliced the filler closely with the Manga material and they Streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed Oooooooooooooooooooooout what was already there to make everything fit.
I mean, an entire episode of Freeza changing?!
And once we get past DBZ Episode 66, we get out of Saban territory, so people can stop making comparisons at that point I hope.

Catterix2006
Beyond Newbie

Post by Catterix2006 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:50 am

DemonRin wrote: The Saiyan arc had better pacing because they focussed most of the filler in the Saiyan saga on throwaway filler eps that you can just ignore should you so choose. They didn't stretch out canon material for it. Like, if I wanted to I could watch a much better version of the Saiyan Saga right now by watching my DVDs I already have and just skipping several episodes and I wouldn't lose any of the story really.
It's really when you get to Namek where they spliced the filler closely with the Manga material and they Streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed Oooooooooooooooooooooout what was already there to make everything fit.
I mean, an entire episode of Freeza changing?!
And once we get past DBZ Episode 66, we get out of Saban territory, so people can stop making comparisons at that point I hope.
Gotcha, and I totally agree actually. I much prefer fillers that are just throwaway episodes, taking Naruto for example, it's easy to ignore the 85 filler episodes, because they're just tacked onto the end of Part 1. But the fillers in Naruto Shippuuden have been predominantly in the canon episodes, dragging out arcs to 30 episodes when they should've been 15.

And for that reason, the Saiyan saga is better paced, as you said.

Personally, I love Kai's pacing. Dragonball Z was a slow, mediated series, that created this epic scope just through it's vast, spacious direction. Dragonball Kai is a show deliberately designed to leave you breathless. It isn't rushed, it's concise, to the point. Much like the manga.
I love humans, always seeing patterns in things that aren't there.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Fri May 22, 2009 6:14 pm

Catterix2006 wrote:Gotcha, and I totally agree actually. I much prefer fillers that are just throwaway episodes, taking Naruto for example, it's easy to ignore the 85 filler episodes, because they're just tacked onto the end of Part 1. But the fillers in Naruto Shippuuden have been predominantly in the canon episodes, dragging out arcs to 30 episodes when they should've been 15.

And for that reason, the Saiyan saga is better paced, as you said.

Personally, I love Kai's pacing. Dragonball Z was a slow, mediated series, that created this epic scope just through it's vast, spacious direction. Dragonball Kai is a show deliberately designed to leave you breathless. It isn't rushed, it's concise, to the point. Much like the manga.
Kai's Pacing is just so great...

And Z wasn't... I really don't wana say "Epic Scope" because there is a line between "Epic Scope" and "Unnecessarily drawn out scenes" and Around Namek, Z Crosses this line and never looks back.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:12 pm

I just thought on this- anybody think they are going to keep some filler sagas?
I mean, I have been watching the Otherworld saga and except that hell crap the saga is actually pretty good with a lot of humor.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:17 pm

Senzu_Bean wrote:I just thought on this- anybody think they are going to keep some filler sagas?
I mean, I have been watching the Otherworld saga and except that hell crap the saga is actually pretty good with a lot of humor.
Well the 100 episode rumor seems to be true, so it seems unlikely. However even though it's just a rumor, we did a few operations and it seems the series will have about, 100 episodes

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:20 pm

Well, if they compressed the Otherworld saga (removing the Hell part and Goku wondering around) 3 or 4 episodes might be enough.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:16 pm

I'd wish they didn't include it because that tournament was kinda stupid, but I think they would need to introduce Paikuhan due to him appearing alongside Kaio-sama when he speaks during the Kid Buu fight.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:27 am

alakazam^ wrote:I'd wish they didn't include it because that tournament was kinda stupid, but I think they would need to introduce Paikuhan due to him appearing alongside Kaio-sama when he speaks during the Kid Buu fight.
You mean like how they introduced the TV broadcasters during the Saiyan battle? :roll:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:29 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
alakazam^ wrote:I'd wish they didn't include it because that tournament was kinda stupid, but I think they would need to introduce Paikuhan due to him appearing alongside Kaio-sama when he speaks during the Kid Buu fight.
You mean like how they introduced the TV broadcasters during the Saiyan battle? :roll:
Well, they are minor characters. They did properly introduce Gregory.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:30 am

Well, I thought that arc was fun. Bunch of funny moments. I kinda wish that filler was included in manga. You gotta love Black haired Super Saiyan :lol:
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.