Censorship in Kai: How Do You Feel About It?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed May 06, 2009 11:39 am

I wouldn't go that far. To say Saban and Toei are one in the same in the sense of censoring is kinda blowing things out of proportion.

Saban edited shows to be suitable for 3 year olds to watch. No seriously, the original DBZ video's had a sticker that said "For Ages 3 And Up". Anyone remember this?

(Upper right hand corner)

While Kai's editing is some what anoying, we have to remember it's not DragonBall Z. Saban actually edited DragonBall Z and kept the DragonBall Z name. Kai is some kind of weird DBZ remix. If you like the original then just watch the original.
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Wed May 06, 2009 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Wed May 06, 2009 11:43 am

DemonRin wrote: 4kids: If 4kids had gotten DBZ... Son's Name would be "Greg", Piccolo would be "Patrick" and he'd have a thick Irish accent, and Raditz' name would be "Roger", because Kids can't handle Japanese names.
There would be ZERO Blood, and Radtiz and Son wouldn't have been hit with the beam at all. Instead, Patrick (remember, his name got changed) would point his fingers at Roger (No blast coming out) and Say "I'm gonna send you to a Dungeon!!"
This is hilarious and completely reminds me of this dream I had about Dragon Ball: Evolution way before it came out.

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Wed May 06, 2009 3:05 pm

DemonRin wrote:It's little Boy Penis.
Your point is?
*Incomplete Lists made purposely to Make Kai look worse go Here*
*Incomplete and Exaggerated Lists made purposely to Make Kai look better go Here*
-Several names were changed or Altered. The Son family lose their Surname, Roshi is only ever referred to as Roshi, the "Kamesen'nin" name is omitted entirely. Tenshinhan's name is changed to Ti-en (Later Retconed to "Ti-en Shinhan") Makankosappou mistranslated as "Special Beam Cannon". Karin changed to Ko-rin.
Where's Mark, Kyle, and Peter? With a cast so large, the

And somehow, I don't think anything like "Devil's Piercing light made up word" would fly on American TV.
-Changed the original music to a bland synthesizer soundtrack

-Changed original music to an orchestral Score
It doesn't really matter though, does it? What they changed it to? By this criteria, anyway....we could say that anyone throwing Beethoven's symphonies over Dragon Ball footage would be appropriate. If the original footage was part of what made Dragon Ball special, then any complete swap-out to the score comes down to opinion, and it becomes a matter of degree.

-Edited Gohan's tears.
You know, I have seen people cry on Japanese TV shows. Just saying.

-Completely Removed ALL instances of blood.

-Edited Blood, but only the blood that directly relates to the Gaping Hole. So far, the rest of the Major Blood is present.
Again, Raditz and the blood pooled beneath his bleeding mouth. Matter of degree.

-Completely Removed Any mention of Death, Characters "went to the next Dimension"
Completely removed all mentions of death, like every other TV show aired on American TV at that time.
-HFIL
Another thing not mentioned on children's cartoons at the time.
-The Edits that were Present were usually sloppily done. Bushes meant to cover nude Gohan would move constantly, etc.
Especially considering what they had to work with, I have to say that I at least am impressed with their digital brushwork when it came to edits.

-Uncut DVD never offered under Saban/Pioneer's tenure with the rights.
As far as we know, we don't have an uncut DVD of Kai either.

-Fully Stereo Audio Mix for the first time Ever
Funi's been offering a full stereo mix of their dub for years now.
-Removed original story material, however it's mostly Filler, and this version of the show was advertised as having this done to it.
Except for the things they've cut from the manga. Check the "Material cut from Chapter ###" sections of the Kanzentai episode comparisons.
-Advertising the series under a New name to distance it from the Original.

Americna children didn't have a reason to know Dragon Ball, so they wouldn't have a reason to need a differentiation from an original. Further, "Dragon Ball: Awesome", with all the same changes, would be received just as badly as the Saban's DBZ.

-Released the Entire Original Z series on DVD entirely uncut before beginning Kai.
And that's nice. But this is about Kai and its censorship. It's good to know that I can buy DBZ in insanely overpriced DVDs in Japan, but I think we're talking about the censorship of Kai. I don't see how DBZ being on DVD even factors in at all.

MUCH more Accurate List. The things I changed are Bolded.
There is NO WAY Toei is as bad as Saban, absolutely no way possible.
"As bad"? Probably not, at least in the case of making a new series based off altered footage of the original. But again, it's a matter of degree here, and they seem to borrow whole edits from the Saban airing. It's really quite frustrating, especially when they took the time to go ahead and laugh at the edits. Seems like hypocrisy to me, at the very least.
It's like, when people go on their Anti-Censorship rants about Kai, NOBODY is willing to concede that the Edits were probably NECESSARY TO GET THE SHOW ON TV!!
People just LOVE to forget that Japan's Standards have changed.
Seems you get off on forgetting American TV standards, so it's nice and even.
And honestly people, so far we've gotten Violence censorship on ONE PARTICULAR INJURY!
The ONLY injury we've had so far. That's 100% censorship right there.
The Blood in Raditz' mouth shows this. It's not Blood or Gore that's bad, it's BIG GAPING HOLE!!
The blood under Raditz's mouth shows the opposite.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Wed May 06, 2009 3:17 pm

DemonRin wrote:Boy Penis
Above
Gaping hole
Incomplete Lists
Score
Your completely nonsensical use of capitalisation boggles my mind... :?
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Son Sebbe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Sebbe » Wed May 06, 2009 3:59 pm

omegacwa wrote:
DemonRin wrote: 4kids: If 4kids had gotten DBZ... Son's Name would be "Greg", Piccolo would be "Patrick" and he'd have a thick Irish accent, and Raditz' name would be "Roger", because Kids can't handle Japanese names.
There would be ZERO Blood, and Radtiz and Son wouldn't have been hit with the beam at all. Instead, Patrick (remember, his name got changed) would point his fingers at Roger (No blast coming out) and Say "I'm gonna send you to a Dungeon!!"
This is hilarious and completely reminds me of this dream I had about Dragon Ball: Evolution way before it came out.
They wouldn't even blow up the Cargo robot.
"They scared the Cargo robot, and made it run of"
[quote="B"][quote="SHINOBI-03"][quote="B"]My pet cat died the same way Goku dies for the first time. [/quote]
Peirced by a Makankosappo?! :shock:[/quote]
Well, my friend was holding it, and I just happened to be fooling around with my mom's pistol...[/quote]

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed May 06, 2009 5:26 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:Your point is?
It.
Is.
Little.
Boy.
Penis.
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:*Incomplete and Exaggerated Lists made purposely to Make Kai look better go Here*
Uuh no, I tried to be even. You said Saban had no name changes, it did. you felt need to mention Kai had a new opening and Ending theme, you decided it wasn't worth noting about Saban.
You also Just said "Edit Blood" for both of them, when Both edited the Blood to Vastly Different Degrees. Saban Removed ALL Blood, So far Toei's only removed Blood in Kai when it related to that ONE Injury, that's a BIG difference.

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:Where's Mark, Kyle, and Peter? With a cast so large, the

And somehow, I don't think anything like "Devil's Piercing light made up word" would fly on American TV.
It STILL Got Changed.
And it didn't have to be Literal, just something less... Wrong...
Demon flies on TV, Yu Yu Hakusho used it "DEMON LIGHT CANNON" works. Or "EVIL LIGHT CANNON".
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:
-Changed the original music to a bland synthesizer soundtrack

-Changed original music to an orchestral Score
It doesn't really matter though, does it? What they changed it to? By this criteria, anyway....we could say that anyone throwing Beethoven's symphonies over Dragon Ball footage would be appropriate. If the original footage was part of what made Dragon Ball special, then any complete swap-out to the score comes down to opinion, and it becomes a matter of degree.
Yeah, but at least the Toei music has some effort put into it. There are people who like this music, I know when Son died I LOVED that track.

-Edited Gohan's tears.
You know, I have seen people cry on Japanese TV shows. Just saying.
I've been busy, I haven't seen Episode 4 or 5, what are you talking about?
-Completely Removed ALL instances of blood.

-Edited Blood, but only the blood that directly relates to the Gaping Hole. So far, the rest of the Major Blood is present.
Again, Raditz and the blood pooled beneath his bleeding mouth. Matter of degree.

-Completely Removed Any mention of Death, Characters "went to the next Dimension"
Completely removed all mentions of death, like every other TV show aired on American TV at that time.
-HFIL
Another thing not mentioned on children's cartoons at the time.
So... It's Ok for Saban to edit the show to fit American TV standards, THAT'S ok, but when Toei edits it to fit Japanese TV Standards, WHICH HAVE CHANGED IN THE 20 YEARS SINCE DBZ HAS AIRED, it's suddenly a Travesty?!
-Uncut DVD never offered under Saban/Pioneer's tenure with the rights.
As far as we know, we don't have an uncut DVD of Kai either.
Yeah, that makes no Sense.
Either A: Kai is just DBZ with a new Paint Job - This means We already DO Have DBZ Fully Uncensored
or B: You consider Kai it's own show, In which case Kai was MADE this way, it's the way Kai was intended to be, so it's ALREADY Uncut.

You can't have it any other way. They're tracing over the old frames. I know most of us don't like the burn/bruise thinge (I don't like it, but can forgive it) but you have to admit it's very cleanly drawn since the whole scene was redrawn, it looks Natural like it belongs there, it's not a BLARING edit, and if we didn't already know it was supposed to be a hole, we may not have noticed.

And finally, KAI JUST CAME OUT!! It's Airing on TV now for the first time ever. They haven't even had the CHANCE to release it on DVD or Blu-Ray. Damn, One Piece's DVD Release is about 70 Episodes behind where the show actually is. Don't say "Baaaaaaw, Toei isn't giving us Uncut Kai DVDs" when it's only been FIVE EPISODES since the show started.
-Fully Stereo Audio Mix for the first time Ever
Funi's been offering a full stereo mix of their dub for years now.
The dub was MADE in stereo, the real DBZ wasn't.
-Removed original story material, however it's mostly Filler, and this version of the show was advertised as having this done to it.
Except for the things they've cut from the manga. Check the "Material cut from Chapter ###" sections of the Kanzentai episode comparisons.
Learn the meaning of the Word "Mostly".
-Released the Entire Original Z series on DVD entirely uncut before beginning Kai.[/b]
And that's nice. But this is about Kai and its censorship. It's good to know that I can buy DBZ in insanely overpriced DVDs in Japan, but I think we're talking about the censorship of Kai. I don't see how DBZ being on DVD even factors in at all.
Again, either you consider Kai just an edited Version of DBZ, in which case we DO have it all uncut already, or you can consider it a new show in it's own right, in which case Kai IS ALREADY Uncut because this is the way it was MEANT to be seen. You can't have it any other way.

MUCH more Accurate List. The things I changed are Bolded.
There is NO WAY Toei is as bad as Saban, absolutely no way possible.
"As bad"? Probably not, at least in the case of making a new series based off altered footage of the original. But again, it's a matter of degree here, and they seem to borrow whole edits from the Saban airing. It's really quite frustrating, especially when they took the time to go ahead and laugh at the edits. Seems like hypocrisy to me, at the very least.
I don't see how they borrowed "Whole Edits" at all.
There WAS blood in Raditz' Mouth, There IS blood here.
It's like, when people go on their Anti-Censorship rants about Kai, NOBODY is willing to concede that the Edits were probably NECESSARY TO GET THE SHOW ON TV!!
People just LOVE to forget that Japan's Standards have changed.
Seems you get off on forgetting American TV standards, so it's nice and even.
uum, no. I've said in the past that Saban was right in what they did. I'm not blaming Saban for anything.
Saban's sin wasn't really THEIR sin, it was Pioneer's when they never released the series uncut on DVD. I've SAID THIS before. Kai-haters are the ones who love to Cry "It's Just like Saban!!" so I'm just comparing the two, and saying No, it's a VASTLY different situation.
And I think Toei was mostly laughing at the rediculousness of the edits. I mean, the Boxers they put on Son and the Dollars they turned the panties into were REALLY poorly done.
And honestly people, so far we've gotten Violence censorship on ONE PARTICULAR INJURY!
The ONLY injury we've had so far. That's 100% censorship right there.
Piccolo Daimao coughing up blood in the flashback at the beginning.
Piccolo's lost Arm was dripping blood.
The Blood in Raditz' mouth.

Try again.
The Blood in Raditz' mouth shows this. It's not Blood or Gore that's bad, it's BIG GAPING HOLE!!
The blood under Raditz's mouth shows the opposite.
I saw that as a Continuity edit. if you notice, Even in Z, the pool of blood was there for a second, and then for every moment thereafter it was GONE.
It's a LOT easier to remove the pool from one instance, than to Add it in Several instances.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Wed May 06, 2009 6:04 pm

DemonRin wrote:It.
Is.
Little.
Boy.
Penis.
And that is bad...because?
It STILL Got Changed.
I can say "It STILL Got Changed." about most of these things, but then you'd say that it's "Not as bad". Which is it, then? Is it just because Toei did it, not Saban?
Yeah, but at least the Toei music has some effort put into it. There are people who like this music, I know when Son died I LOVED that track
That is a good track, and I think the only good one in the show(not including the new themes and eyecatcher music, which are also very nice).
I've been busy, I haven't seen Episode 4 or 5, what are you talking about?
When Gohan is crying in Kai, his tears are gone. The exact same edit Saban did that was quite easily the stupidest edit I'd ever seen in my life. I don't know when tears became taboo.
So... It's Ok for Saban to edit the show to fit American TV standards, THAT'S ok, but when Toei edits it to fit Japanese TV Standards, WHICH HAVE CHANGED IN THE 20 YEARS SINCE DBZ HAS AIRED, it's suddenly a Travesty?!
No. But if Kai's edits are OK because they're done to air it on TV, then Saban's are too. It's a flaw in your logic if you think that it's okay for Toei to bastardize their product to put it on TV, and not give the same courtesy to Saban.
Yeah, that makes no Sense.
Either A: Kai is just DBZ with a new Paint Job - This means We already DO Have DBZ Fully Uncensored
or B: You consider Kai it's own show, In which case Kai was MADE this way, it's the way Kai was intended to be, so it's ALREADY Uncut.
Even if Kai is a new show, it's STILL a new show that is taking old art from the old series. If they made Goku blue in all the frames, that would be a change from the original art. If they cover up the art that they already have and are re-using for the new show, it's censored. Kai wasn't made this way, in that the work that went into creating these frames was mostly done for DBZ, with the effort for Kai coming in to edit it out.
And finally, KAI JUST CAME OUT!! It's Airing on TV now for the first time ever. They haven't even had the CHANCE to release it on DVD or Blu-Ray. Damn, One Piece's DVD Release is about 70 Episodes behind where the show actually is. Don't say "Baaaaaaw, Toei isn't giving us Uncut Kai DVDs" when it's only been FIVE EPISODES since the show started.
I don't expect DVDs out yet, that's not the point. The point is that uncut DVDs can't be leveled against Saban when it's something that Toei hasn't had a chance to screw up yet. I'll be fine with Kai's censorship if we end up with an uncensored DVD release, but I heavily doubt that this will be the case due to the nature of the edits and word from Wasted Wisher's end of the whole thing.
You said it was the first time DBZ had been in stereo, the first time it had a stereo mix. This wasn't the case.
Learn the meaning of the Word "Mostly".
"They Still Changed It."
Again, either you consider Kai just an edited Version of DBZ, in which case we DO have it all uncut already, or you can consider it a new show in it's own right, in which case Kai IS ALREADY Uncut because this is the way it was MEANT to be seen. You can't have it any other way.
Or "C", it's a new show that heavily uses material from the old one, and the most extensive changes to the old frames have been to cover something up because it's now "naughty" and "wrong".

Gyumao's cig. Gohan's tears. The blood from under Goku. They're censoring Goku's penis in EXACTLY the same way it was censored here in various shots.
And I think Toei was mostly laughing at the rediculousness of the edits. I mean, the Boxers they put on Son and the Dollars they turned the panties into were REALLY poorly done.
I think the ways they're covering Goku up are ridiculous. It's much the same situation, just that Saban was a bit stupider. Overall though, Kai stinks of the Saban edits.
I saw that as a Continuity edit. if you notice, Even in Z, the pool of blood was there for a second, and then for every moment thereafter it was GONE.
If it was a continuity edit, then they screwed up by leaving blood on the grass in the last episode recap.
Last edited by Super Ghost Kamikaze on Wed May 06, 2009 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 06, 2009 6:06 pm

Maybe the DVD master will be different? Who knows...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Wed May 06, 2009 6:12 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Maybe the DVD master will be different? Who knows...
Something I'd find hilarious, would be if Toei released edited DVDs, and then Funimation changed those frames back to the originals for their "teenager COMPLETELY UNCUT" demographic that wouldn't know Kai was censored in its TV run.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed May 06, 2009 6:36 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote: When Gohan is crying in Kai, his tears are gone. The exact same edit Saban did that was quite easily the stupidest edit I'd ever seen in my life. I don't know when tears became taboo.
Color me curious. Can anyone help me understand why this censor occurred? I can't for the life of me figure out why that needed to happen.
(Unless four year olds crying exaggerated tears is now too much for Japan.)
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed May 06, 2009 6:40 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:And that is bad...because?
WHY is little boy Penis GOOD?!
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:that is a good track, and I think the only good one in the show(not including the new themes and eyecatcher music, which are also very nice).
Ok, so Advantage: Toei
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:When Gohan is crying in Kai, his tears are gone. The exact same edit Saban did that was quite easily the stupidest edit I'd ever seen in my life. I don't know when tears became taboo.
I have no Idea what you're talking about, I'll have to see it before I can say anything about it.

However, why is this censorship? Maybe Toei just didn't like how the Tears looked and thought the scene would look better without them. They CAN make aesthetic changes too.
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:No. But if Kai's edits are OK because they're done to air it on TV, then Saban's are too. It's a flaw in your logic if you think that it's okay for Toei to bastardize their product to put it on TV, and not give the same courtesy to Saban.
Ok Wow, did you just COMPLETELY IGNORE The part where I said there was nothing wrong with Saban's edits to make my logic look flawed?
Lemme see... yes, yes you did, Wow, Ok.

Go back and read my post, I said Saban was completely in the Right. Wow, Selective reading really helps prove your point doesn't it?
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:Even if Kai is a new show, it's STILL a new show that is taking old art from the old series. If they made Goku blue in all the frames, that would be a change from the original art. If they cover up the art that they already have and are re-using for the new show, it's censored. Kai wasn't made this way, in that the work that went into creating these frames was mostly done for DBZ, with the effort for Kai coming in to edit it out.
Watch DBZ.
Kai was meant to look this way, that's why it's Kai and Z is Z.
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:I don't expect DVDs out yet, that's not the point. The point is that uncut DVDs can't be leveled against Saban when it's something that Toei hasn't had a chance to screw up yet. I'll be fine with Kai's censorship if we end up with an uncensored DVD release, but I heavily doubt that this will be the case due to the nature of the edits and word from Wasted Wisher's end of the whole thing.
The Dragon Boxes.
Your WHOLE argument is "Kai was made with Old Z Drawings and Z wasn't meant to be seen this way"
Well, Ok, go Watch Z.
You said it was the first time DBZ had been in stereo, the first time it had a stereo mix. This wasn't the case.
Yes it is.
I'm talking about the Japanese Version, the real version of the Show.
As far as the Dub goes, the series has always been in Stereo since it was made when stereo was the standard.
Japanese Fans have NEVER gotten a Stereo Audio track, so this is well and truly a new Feature.
Or "C", it's a new show that heavily uses material from the old one, and the most extensive changes to the old frames have been to cover something up because it's now "naughty" and "wrong".
Yay!! you seem to get it!!
YES!! JAPANESE TV STANDARDS HAVE CHANGED!! IT IS now "Naughty" or "Wrong"
Gyumao's cig. Gohan's tears. The blood from under Goku. They're censoring Goku's penis in EXACTLY the same way it was censored here in various shots.
It's Little Boy Penis.

As for the rest, I haven't seen those episodes yet, so I can't comment.
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:I think the ways they're covering Goku up are ridiculous. It's much the same situation, just that Saban was a bit stupider. Overall though, Kai stinks of the Saban edits.
I haven't seen those episodes yet, did Son go to HFIL?
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:If it was a continuity edit, then they screwed up by leaving blood on the grass in the last episode recap.
They left Vegeta's Armor the wrong colors the first time you see it, then changed it later.
They aren't perfect.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Wed May 06, 2009 9:13 pm

You didnt answer the question.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed May 06, 2009 9:20 pm

Victator Supreme wrote:
You didnt answer the question.
My question is, why does little boy penis matter one way or the other?
It's. Little. Boy. Penis.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 06, 2009 9:31 pm

If people are going to quit watching a television show over a loss of penis, alright. Fine. Our lives move on beyond that, hopefully. I can watch the uncut version whenever I want. I'm not tuning in to this broadcast to see the same thing I can just buy in DVD, I'm tuning in for everything I can't.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Ramoro-san
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ramoro-san » Wed May 06, 2009 10:49 pm

:lol: Oh my lord. Enough with the penis, dammit. You've beaten the issue to death. If I see the word "penis" show up one more time, I'm going to... I'll fuckin'... um.... do something terribly drastic to express my intense displeasure at seeing said word. I don't know :? .

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed May 06, 2009 11:16 pm

Ramoro-san wrote::lol: Oh my lord. Enough with the penis, dammit. You've beaten the issue to death. If I see the word "penis" show up one more time, I'm going to... I'll fuckin'... um.... do something terribly drastic to express my intense displeasure at seeing said word. I don't know :? .
It's little Boy Genitals
XD

Tweaker
Regular

Post by Tweaker » Thu May 07, 2009 12:09 am

Shocking discovery--small boys have genitalia! Full story at 11.

You had one too, you know. I bet you didn't digitally paint it out of your field of view every time you whipped it out, either. ;)

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Thu May 07, 2009 12:10 am

Tweaker wrote:Shocking discovery--small boys have genitalia! Full story at 11.

You had one too, you know. I bet you didn't digitally paint it out of your field of view every time you whipped it out, either. ;)
What?..........

Tweaker
Regular

Post by Tweaker » Thu May 07, 2009 12:41 am

I swear your signature did not confirm your gender the last time I replied to your post.

Listen, my point is basically this--regardless of the content that is being censored--little boy penis or otherwise--censorship is not any more valid or acceptable. You may personally feel better off without that content in question--after all, it's not something you want to see--but if the original animation was created with the full intent of showing penis, then there should be penis drawn upon the characters in the relevant situations. Maybe it's for the sake of realism; maybe it's an aesthetic choice. Whatever the case, though, that is how the show was meant to be seen. You don't have to like it, but the arbitrary censorship of material like this is not a practice that we should welcome.

Can you think of a sound, logical basis on which to censor little boy penis? After all, if a little boy was naked, one would assume that there would be--and indeed, there is--a penis present in that section of clothing. What good are you doing people by covering that up? Everyone knows it's there, and even little boys can't possibly be affected too much, if at all, by some sort of acknowledgment that, hey, other little boys have those little things down there too!

Point blank, censorship is unnecessary and doesn't serve to achieve its own stated goal. It's utterly pointless, and the fact that you don't see a problem with the content in question being censored does not mean that it isn't a problem.

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Thu May 07, 2009 1:04 am

DemonRin wrote: WHY is little boy Penis GOOD?!
Nudity isn't dirty, especially in the context in which it's displayed in Dragon Ball. Removing it adds the connotation that it's dirty, that the human body is a foul, detestable thing. More than that, nudity has consistently been used by various cultures and through different time periods to symbolize purity. Adam and Eve and whatnot.

That's why little boy penis is good. :D
DemonRin wrote: Ok, so Advantage: Toei
Indeed. I'm certainly willing to concede when they've done something right with this thing.
DemonRin wrote: However, why is this censorship? Maybe Toei just didn't like how the Tears looked and thought the scene would look better without them. They CAN make aesthetic changes too.
They did it in the Saban version. If it's not censorship, it's a stupid edit. I don't see why it would be an aesthetic choice, either. It's just plain stupid, though, whatever the case.
DemonRin wrote: Watch DBZ.
Apparently, Kai isn't Z. If I want to see uncut Kai, Z isn't the answer.
Kai was meant to look this way, that's why it's Kai and Z is Z.
No, Kai is meant to look like Z, with nicer colors and hell I'd even consent widescreen. But when it uses Z art, then it's censorship when blood and tears are removed from the footage, not something being "made that way".

Even if you don't think it's censorship from the anime point of view(which it most certainly is), then it's censorship from the manga. Yes, the manga has less blood, but all the same the manga wound is not a light grey bruise or burn.
DemonRin wrote: The Dragon Boxes.
Your WHOLE argument is "Kai was made with Old Z Drawings and Z wasn't meant to be seen this way"
Well, Ok, go Watch Z.
No, Kai was made with old Z drawings, so editing blood, penises, and gaping holes is censorship. Otherwise, it's new. New score, new themes, new eyecatchers, new colors. But it uses Z scripts and visuals, so changes to those are either edits or censorship.
DemonRin wrote: Yay!! you seem to get it!!
YES!! JAPANESE TV STANDARDS HAVE CHANGED!! IT IS now "Naughty" or "Wrong"
And maybe it doesn't matter who we blame. Whether it's the network's fault, Toei's fault, or the Japanese government's fault...we have censorship. And that is bad. And it hurts the product. And if the TV airing is no different than the DVD, it's a problem with the series.

Until said DVD comes out, it's a problem that isn't fixed.
DemonRin wrote:It's Little Boy Penis.
Yes. It is. I want that back in the frame, not covered with stupidly obvious edits and censorship.
I haven't seen those episodes yet, did Son go to HFIL?
Nope. "Hell" is okay to say on Japanese TV, though, and there is no actual pressure from nearly anybody to not say it in Japan.
DemonRin wrote: They left Vegeta's Armor the wrong colors the first time you see it, then changed it later.
They aren't perfect.
Which seems to ruin the whole point of the whole thing. Why fix continuity if you're going to break it later? Hopefully this sort of thing is cleared up by the DVD release, since they actually fixed the spelling of "Paradise" in the opening theme(which I found odd).
JulieYBM wrote:If people are going to quit watching a television show over a loss of penis, alright. Fine. Our lives move on beyond that, hopefully. I can watch the uncut version whenever I want. I'm not tuning in to this broadcast to see the same thing I can just buy in DVD, I'm tuning in for everything I can't.
And that's fine, but some people are having their enjoyment of the new stuff hurt because they watered down the old stuff at the same time.

DemonRin wrote:
Tweaker wrote:Shocking discovery--small boys have genitalia! Full story at 11.

What?..........
I agree. Creepy. O_o;;...