Censorship in Kai: How Do You Feel About It?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat May 09, 2009 5:26 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat May 09, 2009 11:11 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:Following the manga beat for beat in and of itself does not a superior product make. A film or show of ANY kind needs to get many other elements right apart from just breezing through a checklist of plot points within a designated timespan in order for it to be effective. There are any number of seemingly minor elements that, when taken as a collective whole, can make or break how a given scene plays and what sort of impact it will or won't have on the viewer.
I honestly cannot comprehend the mindset that allows someone to think that cutting away from an exciting fight to watch deer standing around makes for a better product.

It's like the mindset that thinks the eyecatchers are so awesome. "Holy shit, the whole village just got slaughtered, Dodoria twisted that old guy's head around, Gohan's about to-OH HI IT'S ITTY BITTY GOHAN LOOKIT ME RUN AROUND ALL CUTE OK BAI NAO-snap and gave away their location to Freeza!"

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun May 10, 2009 12:03 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
B wrote:2) "HEY GUYS OLD ANIMATION > NEW ANIMATION I'M COOL BECAUSE I'M A REBEL AND SUCH." That's your opinion and it has no reflection on the quality of Kai.
But having a preference for cel animation over digital, while a totally subjective viewpoint, is STILL a perfectly valid opinion (just as much as it is digging it), and as such if one doesn't like the way that digital coloring/animating looks, it's gonna make the parts of Kai that are done that way seem like.... well like crap, at least in the eye of the person who holds that viewpoint.

Of course this doesn't make them right or wrong anymore than it does those who feel the opposite obviously, but it IS still going to reflect negatively on the visual quality of Kai for anyone who doesn't inherently splooge over the digital aesthetic that a lot of anime has been sporting for the better part of the past decade.
I completely agree that he has the right to dislike Kai due to personal preference, but that just isn't representative of the product as a whole, because it's not an actual problem with the show, it's his personal opinion that bothers him. Due to there not truly being a "right" and a "wrong" in that particualr aspect, it's not vindicative. Like the example I gave. I find that the Saiyan arc of Dragon Ball was the point where the series noticeably dipped in quality, due to the shift to a more sci-fi orientation and a bit of over-reliance of the Dragon Balls. It's not necessarily an actual fault of the series, but it's my complaint that I have to deal with, as opposed to those who may really enjoy that part of the series.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sun May 10, 2009 12:36 am

B wrote: I completely agree that he has the right to dislike Kai due to personal preference, but that just isn't representative of the product as a whole, because it's not an actual problem with the show, it's his personal opinion that bothers him. Due to there not truly being a "right" and a "wrong" in that particualr aspect, it's not vindicative.
Considering we're talking about an entertainment product, wouldn't that logic dictate that there isn't anything that could possibly be vindicative, though?

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:56 pm

I'm not big on censorship but I've seen enough of goku's penis that quit frankly I'm not bothered by them censoring it. I can't condone their choice of censorship however its not like the originals aren't there if you really want to see some blood. It also makes me happy to see the original source is doing this so that when it comes to America I don't have to listen to fanboys bitch about how America is the one making the censors!
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:04 am

It's simple, Kai is for kids, Z is for adults :lol:
If you wanna see penises and more blood watch Z, anyway, I'm still with the original series and watching Kai only because it's Dragon Ball, that's all
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:15 am

Once the home releases are available and we know if they are censored or not, then I'll have a definitive opinion on censorship. As far as the broadcast goes, at the moment not much seems to be censored overall. Just those first few episodes seem to be the problem.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:19 am

Did the last episodes had any censorship at all?

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:30 am

So far, the only real violence and blood editing was stuff that was directly related to the Gaping hole from the Raditz Fight, everything else so far has been Either Smoking or Son's Penis.
It's actually really really tame, not that big of a deal

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:51 pm

I was just watching some Ginyu episodes today and realized they will probley cover up Recooms ass. It's funny how back in the day Saban coverd it up and now years later, the Japanese version is doing the same thing. Thats kinda crazy. :shock:

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:02 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I was just watching some Ginyu episodes today and realized they will probley cover up Recooms ass. It's funny how back in the day Saban coverd it up and now years later, the Japanese version is doing the same thing. Thats kinda crazy. :shock:
Not necessarily, Gohan's was shown when he transformed. Although Ginyu's shoulder hole probably will

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:42 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I was just watching some Ginyu episodes today and realized they will probley cover up Recooms ass. It's funny how back in the day Saban coverd it up and now years later, the Japanese version is doing the same thing. Thats kinda crazy. :shock:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought they left Recooms crack in.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:54 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought they left Recooms crack in.
Saban did not, FUNi did (which must have been amusing for people watching the series for the first time back when the changeover occured).

The only other "censorship" that has occurred that bugged me was most apparent in the Goku/Vegeta fight: The toning down of flashing lights. While I understand the Poke-noia (get it? I know, I'm clever as can be...), this scene has been re-run countless times in the past 20 years in numerous countries without any sort of widespread reports of epileptic seizures. I know it's just a matter of Toei playing a game of CYA, but I personally loved the scene as it was and without those flashing lights it seems to lose something.

-Corey

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:24 am

sangofe wrote:Gyumao had it while in the hovercar with Chichi. Technically it looks like they just didn't use the shots where he had it (before he dropped it) rather than going out of their way to edit it out. Not that I'm trying to defend Kai, just stating the facts.
Uum... Maybe they were just cutting down on the scene then?...
Maybe it wasn't censorship as much as they just wanted to shorten the scene a bit, so they removed the Cigarette falling off gag...

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:36 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought they left Recooms crack in.
Saban did not, FUNi did (which must have been amusing for people watching the series for the first time back when the changeover occured).

The only other "censorship" that has occurred that bugged me was most apparent in the Goku/Vegeta fight: The toning down of flashing lights. While I understand the Poke-noia (get it? I know, I'm clever as can be...), this scene has been re-run countless times in the past 20 years in numerous countries without any sort of widespread reports of epileptic seizures. I know it's just a matter of Toei playing a game of CYA, but I personally loved the scene as it was and without those flashing lights it seems to lose something.

-Corey
The toning down of the flashing/blinking/whatever may be bothersome in principle for me, but in all actuality I liked that they made the blinking go away. The blinking always made the scene really hard for me to watch and gave me a headache. So I'm glad it's gone.

Budokai23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Budokai23 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:10 pm

Have they censored any blood yet besides Goku's stomach hole?
Aka gtadbzman.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:42 pm

Budokai23 wrote:Have they censored any blood yet besides Goku's stomach hole?
I saw an image of the Goku, Radits, Pikoro fight, and apparently there were a few minuscule drops, drops of blood removed from Pikoro. other than that I don't think so

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:54 pm

Rod wrote:
I saw an image of the Goku, Raditz, Piccolo fight, and apparently there were a few minuscule drops, drops of blood removed from Piccolo. other than that I don't think so
I thought there was no editing done to Piccolo other than making his Blood Purple. (which is a Continuity edit, not a violence edit.)

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:27 am

DemonRin wrote:
Rod wrote:
I saw an image of the Goku, Raditz, Piccolo fight, and apparently there were a few minuscule drops, drops of blood removed from Piccolo. other than that I don't think so
I thought there was no editing done to Piccolo other than making his Blood Purple. (which is a Continuity edit, not a violence edit.)
It was only a couple drops, hell, it might have been a slightly different frame or the members of the other forum edited it or they missed it when reanimating, and that's why it looked different.

I looked around and I can't find the image of Pikoro

:P I know some people don't like 'Pikoro' but I only say it because that's what the Spanish dub uses, and I grew up with it. It's a habit. Not because I'm obsessed or something

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:21 am

Rod wrote:I looked around and I can't find the image of Pikoro

:P I know some people don't like 'Pikoro' but I only say it because that's what the Spanish dub uses, and I grew up with it. It's a habit. Not because I'm obsessed or something
Pikoro is an exact romanization of the Japanese way to say his name, so I thought you were one of those fans like those people who call Trunks "Torankusu" because they think it makes them look cooler.

Sorry :(