References in Dragonball/Z

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:23 pm

*Looks up his Dutch DB manga*

Man, never really realised the chapternumbering was missing ^^;

Suppaman => chapter when Gokuu and Kuririn end their training, with the last 2 pages being them getting registred. Just beneath Kame Sennin at the last 2 pages is a man who looks kinda like Suppaman.

Marsmellow Man => the first chapter of the Tenkaichi Budokai, when a elder monk explains the rules of the Budokai, just above Gokuu's head. 6th page of the chapter.

Wizard of Oz cast => Chapter which begins with Namu crashing in on Gokuu with his Diving X Attack, in the first shot of the whole audience they are seen from the back at the left corner.

Should be able to find them.
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:52 pm

There we go. XD I should look through all my DB manga to find more cameos and references... and perhaps go out and complete my collection.
Last edited by Pedro The Hutt on Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:38 pm

Ash wrote:*Looks up his Dutch DB manga*

Man, never really realised the chapternumbering was missing ^^;

Suppaman => chapter when Gokuu and Kuririn end their training, with the last 2 pages being them getting registred. Just beneath Kame Sennin at the last 2 pages is a man who looks kinda like Suppaman.

Marsmellow Man => the first chapter of the Tenkaichi Budokai, when a elder monk explains the rules of the Budokai, just above Gokuu's head. 6th page of the chapter.

Wizard of Oz cast => Chapter which begins with Namu crashing in on Gokuu with his Diving X Attack, in the first shot of the whole audience they are seen from the back at the left corner.

Should be able to find them.
LOL, I can't believe I didn't notice those ones before! I thought I would have at least seen the Wizard of Oz crew, as they're in plain view...
I need an eye exam :lol:
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:29 pm

In the "Legend of Lemnear", the main villain (Champion of Gold) has Super Saiyan-esque hair. This movie was made in 1989 so Akira Toriyama could have gotten that idea for the Super Saiyan hair from that movie.

EDIT: When he transforms towards the end of the movie, he looks like one of those YuGiOh God monsters. Obelisk, I think...

Frobman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Frobman » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:59 pm

Even I started this post about stuff in DB/Z, I might as well name something else I just remembered. Final Fantasy 9. Hero with monkey tail. Comes from another world. Enemy is his brother. Their world was endangered that both were sent to another. I just called him a Saiyan wanabee.
Fry: Wow. The jungles on Mars look like the jungles on Earth.
Prof. Farnsworth: Jungles? On Earth? ([i]laughs[/i])

Futurama

visit [url]http://uk.geocities.com/amrks@btinternet.com[/url]

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:59 pm

Brother! XD I did the very same thing from the moment I saw him.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:16 am

Frobman wrote:Even I started this post about stuff in DB/Z, I might as well name something else I just remembered. Final Fantasy 9. Hero with monkey tail. Comes from another world. Enemy is his brother. Their world was endangered that both were sent to another. I just called him a Saiyan wanabee.
Not to mention the fact that Zidane's Trance looks rather similar to SSJ4. In fact, the whole Trance system is somewhat similar to SSJ.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:00 am

Ash wrote: Wizard of Oz cast => Chapter which begins with Namu crashing in on Gokuu with his Diving X Attack, in the first shot of the whole audience they are seen from the back at the left corner.
It looks like Garfield's in the middle of the crowd in this picture. Might be farfetched but I've never seen another cat with that headshape and those stripes.

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:29 pm

I don't think that's at all the intention: It looks more like one of Toriyama's run-of-the-mill dog characters, if you observe the distance from the ears. Besides, I severely doubt Toriyama would take anything from Garfield, taken as he's likely not even heard of it.

But isn't that Hello Kitty up front?
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:23 pm

Dai wrote:I don't think that's at all the intention: It looks more like one of Toriyama's run-of-the-mill dog characters, if you observe the distance from the ears. Besides, I severely doubt Toriyama would take anything from Garfield, taken as he's likely not even heard of it.

But isn't that Hello Kitty up front?
Well I wasn't sure it was Garfield either, but I also couldn't believe Mr Stay Puft from the Ghostbuster 1 movie was in it, since he's an American icon.

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:27 pm

You should read Dr. Slump then. >.> Akira Toriyama threw plenty of Star Wars and Star Trek references. He's just as big a geek as we are. =D

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:44 pm

Mike D wrote:In the "Legend of Lemnear", the main villain (Champion of Gold) has Super Saiyan-esque hair.
I posted a picture of him that I got from some foreign site.
http://www.angelfire.com/ar3/miked/varohl.jpg

EDIT: Okay, since that didn't work I have the site itself. http://www.amichan.de/lemnear.html
Scroll down until you see Lord Varohl.

Michi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Michi » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:12 pm

I really hate adding onto unmarked spoilers, but at least this is being somewhat vague?
Frobman wrote:Even I started this post about stuff in DB/Z, I might as well name something else I just remembered. Final Fantasy 9. Hero with monkey tail. Comes from another world. Enemy is his brother. Their world was endangered that both were sent to another. I just called him a Saiyan wanabee.
There's also the fact that technically he was sent to, or at least was originally meant to, destroy the world he ended up protecting.

There's definitely a comparison there. XD How funny.

I wouldn't use the Trance system as something comparable, though. All the recent FF games had something like it. This was just the first time they changed appearance like that, but EVERYONE can do it and it's not like some special ability for a species... like turning Super Saiyan. Durr.

Cain Highwind

Post by Cain Highwind » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:53 pm

Well I know for one there's Bibbidi, Bobbidi, and Buu which are the three words for the classic Disney song from Cinderella. And then there are the different Kais (North, South, East, and West) which are reminiscent of the witches from Wizard of Oz. And yes, the android saga did remind me of the Terminator movies, though 17 and 18 themselves seemed, to me, to be sortas based off Rock and Roll from Megaman.

And it was my understand (so I've heard) that various Dragon Quest characters cameo in the audience in the "Other World Tournament". Though since I'm not into the DQ series, and haven't seen the episodes much, I wouldn't be able to confirm this as fact.

As for references to DBZ from other things. Well I know there was the Gokuu rod in Final Fantasy Tactics. And there's of course SonSon in Marvel vs Capcom 2 (it supposed to be a fact that that SonSon is the granddaughter of the original SonSon from the classic arcade game)

And then one must mention the few references from SNK (of course they're known for anime inspired characters and the like). Tung fu Rue and Blue Mary from Fatal Fury are supposed to be based off Roshi and #18 respectively. Tung being able to expand his body and muscles to an extremely large size. He even has a new "Roshi doing Kamehameha"esque super in the upcoming NeoGeo Battle Coliseum. I posted it for kicks in my introduction post, but here it is again for those who missed it.

Blue Mary on the hand is a little less obvious. But in her original appearance in Fatal Fury 3 as well as King of Fighters 2000, she had 18 styled hair with the uneven bangs and angular eyes. Other games though ditch this look with her having even bangs.

There's also Kaede of The Last Blade which has the character "powering up" turning his hair from black to gold (though not spiky). Enja of Samurai Spirits which has the spiky hair and some of the same DBZ-ish mannerisms. And on a much weaker note, his counterpart, Suija has SS3-ish hair.

I feel like I'm missing some, but that's all I could come up with right now.

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:58 pm

In the Sonic games, Super Sonic is a blatant take/pun on the Super Saiya-jin thing as well. XD (and hm hm, 7 Chaos emeralds needed for the bad guy to conquer the world, sounds familiar)

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:32 pm

SonSon is a play on "Journey to the West." Basically anything involving the monkey hero with an extending rod (heh heh heh... extending rod) is not a reference to Dragon Ball.

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:49 am

Aye, but the original Son Wuukong/Goku didn't turn into a rampaging giant ape as far as I know. So the MvC2's Sonson turning Oozaru and spitting laser might just be a poke at DB.

But I do agree that the original Sonson was a take on the legend rather than DB.

Michi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Michi » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:38 am

Cain Highwind wrote:Blue Mary on the hand is a little less obvious. But in her original appearance in Fatal Fury 3 as well as King of Fighters 2000, she had 18 styled hair with the uneven bangs and angular eyes. Other games though ditch this look with her having even bangs.
Her in-game art in FF3 is soooooo very 18ish indeed. But her personality isn't much like 18. ^^;

Cain Highwind wrote:There's also Kaede of The Last Blade which has the character "powering up" turning his hair from black to gold (though not spiky).
I think this has to do with the gold hero legend that was being spoken of earlier (I'm too lazy to check -- if not this thread it was another reference thread); not so much a DBZ reference. But who knows. ^^

ChaotixXero
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChaotixXero » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:33 pm

My little sister watches The fairly oddparents and they had this "Maho Mushe"(sp?), I think thats supposed to be a DBZ paraody kinda thing.

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:46 pm

Pedro The Hutt wrote: So the MvC2's Sonson turning Oozaru and spitting laser might just be a poke at DB.
Do you have a picture of this? I would like to see it.