Cell's Voice ("Budokai" Series) Discussion

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Cell's Voice ("Budokai" Series) Discussion

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:03 pm

I dunno why I posted it over here before my own forum (mainly because no-one here sits around and bitches all day like some of these folks), but here you go:

Please don't think that I'm "covering" or "forgiving" any one organization here, but rather explaining a few things that finally occurred to me as I was ripping game audio.

All of the game audio is stored in a file called "Adx_jp.afs" (on the Japanese version; USA version is "Adx_us.afs"). This is like a ZIP file that holds a great deal (over 1000) of ".adx* files, which THEMSELVES are compressed audio files (think of them like MP3s). Each of these files corresponds to a certain piece of music, attack voice, Dragon World dialogue, etc.

Now, here-in lies the "problem."

In the original Japanese version of DBZ, Norio Wakamoto uses the same exact, non-digitally-affected voice for Cell throughout all three forms. In FUNimation's English dub, Dameon Clarke has his voice changed for all three forms (starting out lizard-like, then almost garbled, then high-and-mighty).

Now, the DBZ/Budokai series is developed by DIMPS in Japan. The game needs to be localized (for Japanese, American, and European markets) based on a SINGLE version of the game and its programming.

As Cell only has one voice in the original Japanese version (which can and DOES correspond to all forms), there is only ONE *.adx file for each attack, bit of dialogue, etc... because he only SPEAKS with ONE VOICE in the original Japanese version.

For Atari of America to have actually included different voices for all three of Cell's stages, it would require a GREAL DEAL of reprogramming and reassigning and reloading of numbered audio tracks already contained in a compressed archive.

I'm sure that simply didn't fly with the American distributer. Rather than changing files and numbering systems, all they've gotta do is have translated and record in English each corresponding file, right down the list, and it's all set with not a darn thing to change in the game's programming. When necessary, it will call up the appropriately numbered audio file, and it will play the correct one, now in English.

I hope that makes sense, and at least partially explains where they're coming from with this "feature."
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:30 pm

That's cool, I didn't realize that Cell only had one voice in the original Japanese. As far as the American Budokai games go I saw a video of Budokai 3 with Cell in it and it seems like instead of the 1st imperfect voice for all the forms he'll have the perfect form voice for all three. Even though it's still not right for the American dub, I think it's better because I know that whenever I use Cell, I'm going to use him in his perfect form.

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:27 pm

Be warned: Prolonged exposure to that board rots your brain
Where's the beef?

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Fuujin » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:53 pm

Okay, now I would like to know what the hell is this "You do well, huh huh huh, you do well!" crap.
It's party time, Ginyu style!

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:50 pm

That, my friend, is dub Reacoom.

While we're on the topic of GameFAQs, yes, that place is pretty bad. And to give you my definition of "pretty bad," here's the next idea for Conan O'Brien's SAT Analogies:

Hangin' in the Daizex Forum is to a relaxing hot tub.
Hangin' in the GameFAQs DB General Forum is to a relaxing hot tub... dropped repeatedly onto your scrotum.

Okay, so it'd never get past the network censors, sue me. The only thing good about that forum is they love to discuss my favorite DB topic! No, not hentai, that's my second favorite DB topic. I am talking about POWER LEVELS! I love discussing that. Why not post a power level topic here, where the intellectual level of DB fandom is at it's zenith? Because I could have sworn I read one of the Administrators saying they didn't want a power level topic. Did either of them really say that, because its sounding more and more like a false memory...

Anywho, I'd rather have the Perfect Cell voice for all the forms, too, but, to tell you the truth, it just LOOKS like his voice would naturally change with all the drastic metamorphoses he goes through. Same thing with Freeza. Do you honestly think Third Form Freeza would sound identical to Fourth Form Freeza?
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:07 pm

I had basically figured all that out for myself, about the time Budokai 2 came out, and Cell's voice wasn't fixed. However, I have serious doubts about how much of a programming nightmare it would be.

After all, all three versions of Budokai 1 (japan, US, europe) were pretty different from each other, and DBZ:2 even had Kuriza and an extra battle arena. So I have a hard time swallowing that a change of voice would be so difficult.

Another thing though; while the japanese voice actor for Cell may not alter his voice drastically between his three forms, they certainly don't sound the same. Compare his first form with his final, it sounds a lot more refined and distinguished to me.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:47 pm

It may not be a big deal with adding things, but I can see it being a problem with needing to LOAD three-times the necessary voice files just for one single character. That's all gotta be stored in RAM before the fight starts, and if you need a different set of vocal tracks for EACH corresponding form, that starts adding up.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:25 am

Now it all makes sense! And all this time we thought they were just lazy! Well, they kinda were... althogh for Budokai 2, they should've recorded PERFECT Cell's voice, since he's the only form in the game...

Sion

Post by Sion » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:14 am

SonGokuGT wrote:Now it all makes sense! And all this time we thought they were just lazy! Well, they kinda were... althogh for Budokai 2, they should've recorded PERFECT Cell's voice, since he's the only form in the game...
Yes, but to do that, it would require something called "extra effort" on DIMPS' part, and therein lies the problem :roll:

Meanwhile, it's my first post, YAY!

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:06 am

Budokai 3's voiceovers for Cell is quite a mess lol

There appears to be a mishmash of Cell's 1st and Perfect form voices. His intro/victory and his diaolgue are all spoken using his perfect form voice, but all his attacks, grunts,etc use his 1st form voice :shock:

They should of just kept the perfect version of Cell in the game and re-record him using the correct voice.