The "Shin" on the character announcement...

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mugenmidget
Regular

The "Shin" on the character announcement...

Post by Mugenmidget » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:23 pm

Is none other than Kami's human form in Dragonball.

Or at least I'm pretty sure.

EDIT: Or I'm not.

Speculation continues.
Last edited by Mugenmidget on Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

confused

Post by confused » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:37 pm

That's Shen. Shin is Kaioshin's pseudonym.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:45 pm

"Shen" (as in "Shenlong") is the name Kami-sama went under with the human body. That's exactly what I thought at first, too. Then Julian reminded me that in the dub (which is what this game would base names and spellings off of), FUNimation named the character "Hero."

"Shin" is indeed the name Kaioshin went under at the 25th Budokai, but... "Supreme Kai" is listed immediately before before. I can't figure that one out...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:51 pm

VegettoEX wrote:"Shen" (as in "Shenlong") is the name Kami-sama went under with the human body. That's exactly what I thought at first, too. Then Julian reminded me that in the dub (which is what this game would base names and spellings off of), FUNimation named the character "Hero."
Wait...I don't think they called him Hero.

I'm pretty darn sure because I've never watched Dragonball in the original Japanese.

This is probably Shen, but let me see if I can find proof that it was his English name.

EDIT: Now on TV Tome, it says his English name was Hero as well. How did I ever hear it as Shen if I never watched the Japanese? Was this name ever used in any "English" products?

EDIT 2: Duh I was thinking of the Crane Hermit.

EDIT 3: Wait...does that mean it could be the Crane Hermit?

confused

Post by confused » Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:12 pm

Well, I live in the UK (where Toonami is a separate channel if you have Sky) and in the actual DB episodes, he is called Shen, but if you press 'i' to get information or a summary about the show, it says his name is Hero.

Edit: The 'Shen' thing for Tsurusennin was just a one-off mistake, I think.
Last edited by confused on Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:13 pm

confused wrote:Well, I live in the UK (where Toonami is a separate channel if you have Sky) and in the actual DB episodes, he is called Shen, but if you press 'i' to get information or a summary about the show, it says his name is Hero.
Well, at this point I'm banking it's the Crane guy or him.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:17 pm

Yeah, they called Crane Hermit Master Shen every so often, but they mostly just called him Crane Hermit. Who this will be in the game, well I guess we'll soon find out.

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:06 pm

For some reason FUNimation renamed the Crane Hermit Shen.

Sort of pointless (and silly if you know what it means in Japanese) if you ask me

The Blue Water Dub (which airs in the UK and Canada) retained Kami's pseudonymn of Shen in the Tournament
Last edited by El_Diablo on Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where's the beef?

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:32 pm

And I remember them throwing around Shen quite a bit, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's who the announcer is talking about. After all, we need at least one other strictly Dragonball character for Young Goku to relate with right?

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:27 pm

I'm betting that "Shin" is just Kaioshin under a new name. It doesn't make much sense that they would go through the trouble of re-naming him now, but whatever.

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:37 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:I'm betting that "Shin" is just Kaioshin under a new name. It doesn't make much sense that they would go through the trouble of re-naming him now, but whatever.
But remember that there's a clip for "Supreme Kai" as well.

Maybe it means Kibitoshin?

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:45 pm

Well, the "Supreme Kai" clip could be just left over from Budokai 2. That's what I'm betting on anyways...I highly doubt that "Shen" is going to be a playable character...then again, Bulma...o-O