Rationalize filler!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:29 pm

Another stupid filler moment that can't be rationalized is Bulma making the frog translator. How and why the hell would she want to do that?

Endishiki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Endishiki » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:41 pm

Super Sonic wrote:Another stupid filler moment that can't be rationalized is Bulma making the frog translator. How and why the hell would she want to do that?
Bulma, like Dr. Gero and Dr. Myuu, has the ability to utterly BS something out of nothing. Thusly, we see Bulma making a frog translator (and the Doctors making yet another Artificial Human 17...).

As to why... well, she wanted to become the Jane Goodall of frogs. Only, not Jane Goodall, as the DB Earth is a different Earth...
"I am an Android from the future, destined to absorb 17 and 18. ~<3"

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:41 pm

Two things in GT that bother me the most that I MUST have explained.

1.) In Super 17 Saga, Kaiou-sama gets a cold. But yet he's a God, and dead. How the Hell did he catch a cold?

2.) Also, in Super 17 Saga, Yakon and Pui Pui return as Ma-jins. Never mind the fact that they shouldn't have their bodies, but why are they Ma-jin, when Dabura and Vegeta both lost their Ma-jin power up upon death? Did Babidi, upon returning to life, meet up with them again and cast his magick upon them?

Also... Dabura being in heaven... is that canon?
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:32 pm

Well, Bulma is REALLY bored at this point. So, I imagine that explains the reason for making a frog translator. As for her ability to do so, it's pretty well established that Bulma is a genius, at least when it comes to mechanical engineering and robotics, so no big fowl there.
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dragon » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:43 pm

The S wrote:Two things in GT that bother me the most that I MUST have explained.

1.) In Super 17 Saga, Kaiou-sama gets a cold. But yet he's a God, and dead. How the Hell did he catch a cold?

2.) Also, in Super 17 Saga, Yakon and Pui Pui return as Ma-jins. Never mind the fact that they shouldn't have their bodies, but why are they Ma-jin, when Dabura and Vegeta both lost their Ma-jin power up upon death? Did Babidi, upon returning to life, meet up with them again and cast his magick upon them?

Unless I'm wrong, but I think the answer is summoned up into two words, plot holes. I don't think Toei was thinking when they made GT. I have so many questions regarding that show that are basically plot holes.
Gerry Dragan (yes, that's my real name.)

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:11 pm

The S wrote:Two things in GT that bother me the most that I MUST have explained.

1. I figured that was a gag. "Are you doing well?" "Actually, I have a bit of a cold... But that's not important!"

2. *shrug* Lazy animating.

And I believe Dabura being sent to heaven was mentioned in the manga, if that's what you meant.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:34 pm

All that was said in the manga was "Dabura would love for me to send him to Hell, so I sent him to Heaven instead!" or something like that. No flower Dabura, and the girls with ghostly tails >_<
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Hmm.

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:35 pm

Tien > Ginyu Force
Solar Flare Chaozu uses his telephatic powers and throws them off the planet.

GT
Too hard

Gotenks buu vs. SSJ3Goku
Goku was putting a decent mathc for holding him off......must have been a hai battle. (Super Buus Itenna could be his Hair >_>)
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:36 pm

Oh, I forgot about Super Gotenks Buu versus SSj3 GOku!

I DL'ed that fight and watched it a few times. Goku is not winning. He's not even hitting SGtB. The best he's doing is dodging SGtB's attacks while Gohan looks for the Potara. Even when Goku uses Vegeta's infinite ki blasts attack, SGtB doesn't have a scratch on him.

As for why SGtB isn't ripping Goku a new one, remember that Buu has taken on Gotenks' attitude at this point.

Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dragon » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:00 am

There's something that's been bugging me about GT... again... and either my mind is fading or Toei screwed up. How did the artificial 17 get out from HFIL? I know the 17s "fused" their powers to create the hole in order to let Gero and Myuu escape, but did artificial 17 get to Earth? It's not making sense to me at all... :?

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:17 am

See if you can rationalize filler! Filler, as we all know by now, is injected by the prodcuers to stretch out the series and give the mangaka time to work on his stuff. However, the problem with filler is that it usually makes little to sense at all. The writers apparently listen to fan requests or sketch up little ideas while half-drunken, and put it into the works. The result can wildly vary, as seen in both DB and DBZ.
The Saiyan arc filler was remarkable and far superior to the original attempt. I would go so far as to say it is the best filler material of any Japanese animation I have seen.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:38 am

Rocketman wrote:Oh, I forgot about Super Gotenks Buu versus SSj3 GOku!

I DL'ed that fight and watched it a few times. Goku is not winning. He's not even hitting SGtB. The best he's doing is dodging SGtB's attacks while Gohan looks for the Potara. Even when Goku uses Vegeta's infinite ki blasts attack, SGtB doesn't have a scratch on him.

As for why SGtB isn't ripping Goku a new one, remember that Buu has taken on Gotenks' attitude at this point.
True....but Goku doesn't recive a scrath while Gohan insantly does.....plus he wasn't serious.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

LaRésistance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LaRésistance » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:46 am

Nobody mentioned when Yamcha and Krillin go back to train with Kaio just in case they're the last ones who can try to fight Majin Buu. Yamcha beats two guys who were supposed to be really strong easily. I never understood that since the big blonde guy was supposed to be almost as strong as Paikuan.

But since i like Yamcha, it was nice to see him beat someone for a change.
The résistance dies but never gives up.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:29 pm

I could rationalize Yamcha beating Recoome, but not Olibu, and that other guy. It makes no sense, so I can only assume that Toei wanted to give Yamcha one last moment to shine, since he was basically useless.

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:41 pm

There's something that's been bugging me about GT... again... and either my mind is fading or Toei screwed up. How did the artificial 17 get out from HFIL? I know the 17s "fused" their powers to create the hole in order to let Gero and Myuu escape, but did artificial 17 get to Earth? It's not making sense to me at all...
Err...it was something like that Hell #17 made a link with the regular #17 on Earth and thus made a portal to hell. Or something. A wizard did it.
The Saiyan arc filler was remarkable and far superior to the original attempt.
I simply love the episode where Gohan meets that robot in the desert. I thought it was one of the best episodes of all the three DB series...
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dragon » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:59 am

Yes but how did that one #17 get onto Earth in the first place to fuse their powers? I kind of doubt that another mad docter on Earth created him...

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:59 am

Dragon wrote:Yes but how did that one #17 get onto Earth in the first place to fuse their powers? I kind of doubt that another mad docter on Earth created him...
He was already on Earth. You can see #17 giving energy to the Anti-Kid Buu Spirit Bomb

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:25 am

Rocketman wrote:
Dragon wrote:Yes but how did that one #17 get onto Earth in the first place to fuse their powers? I kind of doubt that another mad docter on Earth created him...
He was already on Earth. You can see #17 giving energy to the Anti-Kid Buu Spirit Bomb...
...with a shotgun!
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:02 am

He was revived after the Cell Games
Where's the beef?

Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dragon » Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:30 pm

Really? Was that in the English dub? I did miss a few episodes of the Kid Buu Saga so that might explain it. Okay, so heheh, nevermind!