If Toriyama were to die...

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:28 pm

Chain-smoking giant turtles that act as vehicles = Oda's freakin' awesome.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:10 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
Mattias wrote:Who...?
One Piece creator Eiichirô Oda, whose manga has been the most popular shônen series in Japan for at least 5 years running. :)

By the way, if you've seen One Piece on Fox, you haven't really seen it, since a) the initial episodes kinda suck, and b) it's got some pretty ridiculous censorship (cap guns? supersoakers? gimme a break!). I definitely suggest picking up the comics (even if Viz does change the spelling of Zoro's name).
How things change. A little over two years ago on Fox, you could show someone holding a knife to a guy's throat on Power Rangers, yet now they change guns' looks on One Piece. Now that I think of it, they didn't alter guns on Sonic X for some reason.

Ginyu Taiko
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ginyu Taiko » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:36 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
Mattias wrote:Who...?
I definitely suggest picking up the comics (even if Viz does change the spelling of Zoro's name).
One Piece manga has been released in many other countries as well. As a result, finding it in those languages may be advantageous because:
a) less editing (Zolo/Zoro)
b) it is further into the series (for example, the French version is already on the 24th volume)

Just in case someone was interested in picking up the series!

Michi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Michi » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:24 pm

@_@;;

I don't understand the big deal over the whole Zolo/Zoro thing. It's pronounced the same way, and you can read it either way from the original : ゾロ can be zolo or zoro. It doesn't matter. x_x; It's not like they're changing his real name. x_X; But I guess a lot of fans were really attached to Zoro, or something. >_>

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:28 pm

Oda-sensei has written out nearly every name, place, etc. in the manga in English letters as he intends them (as far as I can tell).

There's really no debate on what the character's name is... it's Zoro, spelled exactly as such.

Which is one reason fans are so upset. Of course, another reason being it's been written out as Zoro for a full two years with no problem... suddenly it's an issue and is changed, and from what I'm told, they're re-releasing the previous graphic novels with the changed spelling...

It just all smells far too much like the old FUNimation days of changing things for the sake of changing things with absolutely no logical reasoning behind them (that fans could tell, anyway).

But anyway... back to the topic at hand...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:49 pm

They didn't even write anything saying they were changing it, I just picked up that issue, flipped to One Piece, and I see "Roronoa Zolo"
No explanation at all. *******!
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:33 pm

I've heard of One Piece. However, my only way to access it would be to purchase it from the internet, and currently I need to watch how I spend my funds.

However, to answer the initial question, when (that's right, we'll all die some time) Toriyama dies, I will be very sad.
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.