Dominant Personalities in Fusion Characters?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Dominant Personalities in Fusion Characters?

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:16 pm

I had been told by a friend ages ago, before I had seen the vast majority of DBZ, that the fusion characters had dominant personalities, namely Vejita is more dominant in Vejito/Goku is more dominant in Gojita/Trunks is more dominent in Gotenks. I had accepted it, since Vejito seemed more arrogant than Gojita (not counting GT, which is funny since both GT and movie 12 were Toei created) and Gotenks was pretty damned confident of himself as well.

Is this ever supported in the daizenshuu or any source? I'm just curious, it makes sense on some levels (and makes fusions a bit more interesting, instead of "Okay, anyone that fuses is just arrogant as hell.").

-Corey

Frobman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Frobman » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:39 pm

Don't forget Kaioshin and old Kaioshin fusion! Both are dominant than the other!
Fry: Wow. The jungles on Mars look like the jungles on Earth.
Prof. Farnsworth: Jungles? On Earth? ([i]laughs[/i])

Futurama

visit [url]http://uk.geocities.com/amrks@btinternet.com[/url]

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:48 pm

Ah yeah, almost forgot those two. Thanks for the reminder.

-Corey

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:11 pm

Wasn't the old Kaioshin's fusion with that witch only in the anime?

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:04 pm

Vegetto seems to be more of a Vegeta-esque badass, and Gogeta (especially in GT as an SSJ4) is Goku's goofyness taken to an extreme with s pinch of Vegeta's cockyness for flavor.

Metrite
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Metrite » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:11 pm

The way both the fusion and potaras work is(with the exception of the Kaioshins it seems, they seem to remain themselves(daiz 7 lists Kaioshin both before and after he used the poraras as the same person)) equal traits come from each person creating a new one. And I don't see how anyone ever could have thought either Gogeta/Vegitto were more like Goku/Vegeta, we never saw enough of them to really know how they'd be under all circumstances(Vegitto only messed around to get absorbed and Gogeta just got the job done in under a minute(best never to count GT for anything lol)... But I wonder why nobody ever considered how Fat Gogeta acted, flipping somebody off doesn't seem very Goku-ish to me :P ).

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:18 pm

I always thought of Vegeta as the dominant personality in Vegetto, since he refers to Goku as "Kakarotto".
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Metrite
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Metrite » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:08 pm

The reason he he referred to him as Kakarotto is because he spoke of Goku as a different person like Vegeta would(just like he referred to Vegeta as a different person like Goku would, with the difference being Goku calls him Vegeta, so if Goku had come to know Vegeta by the name Henry, his name could've been "Hentto" :P ). And since both the names Veku and Gogeta were used in movie 12, when considering a name, Toriyama probably just wanted something different and came up with the idea of having Goku's other name be used(just like the names made for the Goku/Satan and Goku/Dende fusion was Kakarotan and Denderotto lol).

Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dragon » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:54 pm

Well, wouldn't have Piccolo's name changed after he fused with Nail and Kami? It'd probably be something like... Piccailami... or something like that. Why didn't his name change but in all the other fusions, they did?

EDIT: Errr, scratch that. Since Piccolo and Kami had once been the same being, I'td probably be Piccolail.

EDIT: Nevermind, since Piccolo is just Piccolo Daimiou's alter ego, the name WOULD have changed to like Piccailami, wouldn't it? Oy, I'm confused now.
Gerry Dragan (yes, that's my real name.)

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:12 pm

Er...with Nail, Piccolo assimilated with him. Nail did not exist as a personality, but rather, his knowledge and strength were added to Piccolo's.
As for the other fusions, I think it depends on a number of factors (meaning I have no clue) which personality remains dominant, or if a completely new person is created based on traits of the two fused characters.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:23 pm

I always heard Goten was dominante in Gotenks, Vegeta in Vegito and Goku in Gojita. But that was before I saw all three fusions in action.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:31 pm

Well, in GT, after Gogeta split, Vegeta called Goku a dumb bastard because Gogeta had just fooled around, and Goku said that Vegeta was equally responsible.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:38 pm

Actually after Kami and Piccolo fuse Goku TRIES to call him Kamicollo but Piccolo says to just call him by Piccolo.
-Laserkid

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:41 pm

laserkid wrote:Actually after Kami and Piccolo fuse Goku TRIES to call him Kamicollo but Piccolo says to just call him by Piccolo.
Yeah, but I think in both cases it's stated before the fusion that Piccolo will remain dominant (in the case with Kami-sama, I believe he even said "We aren't fusing, you'll only serve as a super power-up for Piccolo" or something to that effect).

I'm thinking the dominant personality theory is a well founded one, thanks for the help.

-Corey

Milton
Patreon Supporter

Post by Milton » Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:31 am

He also said something to the effect of, "I am the Namek child sent to Earth with no name." That always made me wonder if he wanted a new name after fusing with Kami, but settled on Piccolo to avoid confusion. I've seen the Piccolo-Kami fusion not as something where one personality is dormant while another takes over, but more like an agreement between the two. From that point on, Piccolo seemed more wiser to me.

Also, this is kind of unrelated, but right after they fused in the manga, there's a panel that Toriyama drew that's always stood out in my mind for some reason. In it, Piccolo's face seemed so much more like a man's. That just seemed kind of prominent to me, like Toriyama was trying to say that he's no longer a demon.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:38 am

Or maybe when Piccolo and Kami reunited, the result was the original Namekian who came to Earth.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:40 am

*PINHEAD* wrote:Or maybe when Piccolo and Kami reunited, the result was the original Namekian who came to Earth.
It was...
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:47 am

I know, but it was previously stated that Piccolo remained the dominant personality. Oh well, no use trying to analyze a cartoon.

Frobman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Frobman » Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:51 am

*PINHEAD* wrote:I know, but it was previously stated that Piccolo remained the dominant personality. Oh well, no use trying to analyze a cartoon.
Something from the Simpsons!
Lisa: Wait, I'm confused. How can a wolf fire a web?
Bart: Cartoons aren't supposed to make sense!
(Gazoo from the Flintstones appears)
Gazoo: He's right, you know!
Fry: Wow. The jungles on Mars look like the jungles on Earth.
Prof. Farnsworth: Jungles? On Earth? ([i]laughs[/i])

Futurama

visit [url]http://uk.geocities.com/amrks@btinternet.com[/url]