Poor Piccolo...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Poor Piccolo...

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:53 am

For being a favorite of Toriyama, he sure didn't do any good.

*Dragonball*
Demon King Piccolo comes, he's all old, he's like "I'm t3h shit, I'll beat Goku!"
*Beats Goku*
Then, Goku drinks some freakin' water, and kills the mofo.

*22nd Budoukai*
Piccolo PWNZ some people at the Budoukai, and then gets PWND by Goku.

*Saiya-Jin Saga*
Has to have Goku's "help" to kill Raditz.

*Vs. Nappa*
He's all UBER tough, but gets killed saving Gohan. >_>

*Vs. Freeza*
He comes like "OMFG I HAVE T3h POWAH!!"
He hits Freeza form 2 a bit, Freeza transforms, and PWNZ him.

*Vs. #20*
PWNZ #20. Wow, that was hard <_<

*Vs. the Jinzouningen*
#17 like...PWNZ him...

*Vs. Cell*
PWNZ Cell. Wow.

*Vs. #17*
He's like "AGAIN, I HAVE T3h POWAH!!* They fight, Cell steals his opponent, absorbs him, and snaps Piccolo neck. Wow.

*Buu Saga*
Ugh...babysits some brats, and is now weaker than the base Saiya-Jin. Their base!!

Poor, poor, Piccolo. What a sad life.
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

ChibiKenji
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ChibiKenji » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:26 am

Not as bad as what happened to the humans, at least he still retained some use. Hell, the humans had practically become redundant come the Piccolo Daimao arc.

I mean, the last thing of actual impression (bar Roshi's sacrafice, that was funky, though useless) a human does is when Ten beats Goku at the 22nd Budokai.

In Z, Yamucha beats up a Saibaman, then it kamikazes. Ten holds Cell down and deflects Buu's blast, but that's not much. Krillin killed the Saibamen, then did well on Namek and that, but it was mostly against lowly henchmen that had ridiculously low power. I won't even go into what happened to Chaozu, the poor fellow ;_;

Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dragon » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:12 pm

It got annoying too. I only remember seeing Tien twice in the whole Buu saga and I only saw Chiaotzu once. And I've hardly seen anybody but Goku, Giru, Pan, and Trunks in GT which is aggrivating. But then again, I have so many gripes about that show it's not even funny. I only like it because it's a continuation of the series.
Gerry Dragan (yes, that's my real name.)

Boomer2k4

It's Not sooooo bad

Post by Boomer2k4 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:36 pm

Not everyone can be the main guy :) The only real way for them to catch up would either to recieve a monster power-up or by gaining a technique which makes up for their lack of brute force/speed.

Unfortunately Krillin was really the only one who developed, before the Buu Saga that is when he quits, by learning the Kienzan (A move which makes up for lack of power with Technique...nice)

None of the others really developed anything more than just higher power levels since the end of DB, Yamcha learning the Sokidan and Tien's Multiform (Sorry don't know Japanese name so help me out here) were the last 2 I remember and they were from DB unless you count Tien lanuching the Kihoko with one hand!!!

Piccolo's Makenkosappo (sp?) I suppose counts as his power up but it kinda faded into the useless after Raditz was killed. It was actually more effective in the hands of Cell and Buu!!!

And just to make things worse the Saiyans get a ton of powerups and new moves just to make sure they're completely out of reach...oh well
I am Darkness Beyond Blackest Pitch
Deeper than the Deepest Night
I am the Sea of Chaos
The Source of All Chaos
I am The Lord of Nightmares

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:54 pm

Piccolo is a great character and I agree it's a shame he's underused in the later part of the story.

But Goku actually drinks poison not water. A person must have enough will power to survive the poison. Only then will it draw out his/her dorment strength.

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:08 pm

The actual definition of the Wondrous Water is that it's a magic type of water which also happens to be incredibly toxic... I wouldn't call that ''poison'', perse, but to each his own.
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:30 pm

The thing is, though, Piccolo's life was one big disappointment. At least the humans knew they could never do anything. Whenever Piccolo got super strong, something comes up, or he loses.

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:29 am

Dai wrote:The actual definition of the Wondrous Water is that it's a magic type of water which also happens to be incredibly toxic... I wouldn't call that ''poison'', perse, but to each his own.
If I remember correctly, they called it poison in the manga, but it has been a while since I last read that book so my memory may be a bit off.

But I agre with Chibi about the fact Pic never gets the breaks he deserves. Such a shame.

Boomer2k4

Fusion

Post by Boomer2k4 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:59 pm

Remember, Piccolo was the First Fusion seen :D

And then Goku nicked it :(

And then we found out about the Old Kai.....

etc etc etc

He also introduced Regeneration (I think)

And then Cell nicked it

And Buu

And Omega (and Electric) Shenron

yeesh...he's overcome by theives
I am Darkness Beyond Blackest Pitch
Deeper than the Deepest Night
I am the Sea of Chaos
The Source of All Chaos
I am The Lord of Nightmares

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:40 pm

Caracal wrote:
Dai wrote:The actual definition of the Wondrous Water is that it's a magic type of water which also happens to be incredibly toxic... I wouldn't call that ''poison'', perse, but to each his own.
If I remember correctly, they called it poison in the manga, but it has been a while since I last read that book so my memory may be a bit off.

But I agre with Chibi about the fact Pic never gets the breaks he deserves. Such a shame.
Nah, it's refered to water in the manga, at least, I don't see Karin calling it a poisin.

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:54 am

Blue Water's dub calls it "Chuu Shin Sui" water
Where's the beef?

ChibiKenji
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ChibiKenji » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:05 am

I'm fairly sure it's called "Chuu Shin Sui" or whatever (can't remember exactly, but what Diablo said sounds close) in the version of the manga I have (though the translastions have proven to be a bit iffy in a couple of spots), and it's referred to as poisonous water, IIRC.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:58 pm

El_Diablo wrote:Blue Water's dub calls it "Chuu Shin Sui" water
It's actually "Choushinsui," meaning "Super Water of the Gods." And, unlike that watered-down "Chouseisui" ("Super Holy Water") stuff, it's the real deal. 8)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:08 pm

Well that's how they pronounced it.

The super holy water is from GT right? I think they called that "Chuu Sui" water
Where's the beef?

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:42 pm

The Super Holy Water is the fake 'superwater' Karin had [training for the second fight with Tao Pai Pai]
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:15 pm

Yeah, but there was also this cleansing type of water that was used in GT to get Baby out of people's systems... And in the Garlic JR saga as well, with the black mist thingie and all that.

Is that just something Toei came up with? If so, I'm wondering what they called it. There're only so many ways to name some water.
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:55 pm

Yeah, the Holy Water at Kami's lookout (sadly used again in GT, as well as in the Garlic Jr. DBZ filler) is entirely made up by Toei.
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:20 am

I don't know about the water in DBGT, but the one in the Garlic Jr episodes is called Choushinsui, the same as the one from the Piccolo episodes. Which is very odd, considering how totally different they are, purpose-wise. :?

As an aside, Advance Adventure actually adds at least a few new waters as items.