Would you watch a proper English redub of the series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Would you watch a proper English redub of the series?

Post by Taku128 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:52 pm

This came up in the chat, and I was curious what people's opinions on this are. If FUNimation, or some other company that got the right somehow, gave the series a new English dub that was much more faithful to the original Japanese version, would you watch it? I've always figured many people wanted a proper re-dub of the series just so people wouldn't get an incorrect impression of what the series is about, as the redub would replace the current one. They wouldn't actually watch the redub, but they'd be glad that people wouldn't assume they like that specific version of the show, similar to the situation with One Piece where 4kids' dub of the show was embarrassing to the fans, and people who only saw the dub got that as their impression of what One Piece is.

Personally I'd just stick with the Japanese version. I've already gotten used to the Japanese version, and can't see myself switching over to a dub, or watching both.

This question is for fans of any version of the show, not just fans of the Japanese version.
­

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:57 pm

Yes, it doesn't even have to be super incredibly accurate just something that follows the original script and doesn't make awful, awful jokes. Hell I don't even really care if the voices are off. Think Singapore Yugioh dub, if we got something like that I'd be perfectly content. Original music, at least a decent script like the original dub had in the Buu saga and correct terminology. I'd be one happy camper.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:57 pm

If they used a totally different cast, followed the Japanese Script perfectly, dubbed all the vocal songs and used proper names, yeah I'd watch it.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:58 pm

I really think I'd just stick with the Japanese version. I'd rather get a more accurate translation of the manga, although I think Viz's is more or less good enough.

That said, a new dub would be nice. The old one is full of so much misinformation, a more accurate one might help to stop that stuff from spreading. But since even I, someone who hasn't seen the dub in years, still recalls dub-only nonsense and has to sometimes check if it's in the original, I get the feeling even a new dub wouldn't get rid of it.

In short; new dub would be cool. I probably wouldn't watch it myself. Oh, but my dyslexic brother might.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:06 pm

I would definately watch it, but it's not high on my priority list.

I could probably get a little ethusiastic if it's Kai.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:21 pm

If it used a properly translated script, and brought back the Ocean Group, then sure.

But it's not something I pine for.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:23 pm

If they used the same cast (sans Linda Young as Frieza) and scripts on par with at least the Buu arc dub, then that would be great.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:26 pm

It depends. I'd probably check it out, but depending upon the level of acting I might stick with the original.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:26 pm

Ditch Linda Young, and I'm in!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:35 pm

If FUNimation ever decided to give DBZ the dedicated dub treatment it gives series like One Piece or YuYu Hakusho, to the point where like those, I can watch the show in either dub or sub with nary a complaint... then you bet your droopy dollies I'd buy and watch it all.

However, the chances of this ever happening, at least for a long, long time... are very slim. Sub fans don't really care about the dub either way at this point, and most dub fans, for some bizarre reason, think the dub is "good enough like it is." In-betweeners like me who really want to like the dub but just can't are kind of in the minority, from what I've seen. There isn't enough of a public outcry or demand for a re-dubbed DBZ.

The closest to a redub I think we might get in the foreseeable future is a freshly-made dub for Kai. Which would be almost as good.

EDIT:
Insofar as what I would want for a new dub? Well, I could name a lot of little specific things. But there are a few things that all of them kind of fall into.

1) SCRIPT ACCURACY IS KEY. No more rewrites, no more lame jokes, no more of any of that. It doesn't have to be word-for-word, but for Dende's sake at least make it faithful.

2) FUNimation can't be afraid to reassign some voice roles. They have a LOT more VAs, extremely talented ones, than they did back in the old days. Recast Freeza with someone who can actually portray a "suave-but-deadly" character instead of sounding like a chain-smoking old hooker. Spread out some of Mr. Sabat's roles. Things like that.

3) For Dende's sake, they need to ditch their crappy dub music, and exclusively use the original Japanese BGM like they should have done from the beginning.
Last edited by Kaboom on Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:50 pm

Would I be interested in a redub of Dragonball Z?

Not really. I mean, I would, but only if they kept the vices and music from the dub. If they changed the dialog to the Japanese version, I guess that's cool. But that's just me, of course.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:53 pm

I guess it's best to wait for FUNimation to get Kai... which likely won't be for years...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Tweaker
Regular

Post by Tweaker » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:58 pm

I'd definitely be interested! I've seen some fantastic dubs in my time that were extremely well done and faithful rto the original product. Such examples of the best I've seen include Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, FLCL, and even Yu Yu Hakusho. To my best knowledge, most of these--if not all of them--follow the Japanese scripts very closely, and the voice acting is very fitting to each character as well. It'd be great to see the same kind of principles applied to Dragon Ball Z, assuming it was done properly.

Honestly, the current FUNimation dub of Dragon Ball Z is pretty old, inconsistent, and showing its age very badly It's in dire need of being remade at this point.

Vashkey
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vashkey » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:08 pm

Maybe if it aired on television but I don't really like the idea of buying the series over again.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:13 pm

If Funi redubbed it with the high quality work they use on their current titles, then yeah, I'd watch it. I've found some of their recently dubbed series enjoyable.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:21 pm

Way back about a hundred episodes ago on the podcast, we discussed this. I have no idea what I said. I'm sure it was "No, thanks!" :P

http://www.daizex.com/general/podcast/i ... shtml#0082
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:12 pm

I also couldn't watch it. Partly for nostalgia reasons, and partly because don't care so much. Similar to how I can't watch ADV's new Macross, because while it has a pretty good cast, I cannot call the main guy anything other than Rick Hunter.

Also, redubbing a series, can incite anger in some fans of certain series, even if it is closer to the Japanese version. For example, some of y'all might be young for this, but after "Battle of the Planets", Gatchaman was redubbed under the title of "G-Force" and was a lot closer to the original Gatchaman, including more violence left in, and no stupid robot, (though they gave the main 2 guys really stupid names). "Battle of the Planets" fans hate "G-Force" with a passion.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:18 pm

If FUNimation produced a new dub of Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z, I'd be all over it! ...as long as they dubbed it like they do their other shows; accurate script, good choices for voices, good voice acting. They can either keep the Japanese songs or make their own English versions, I don't care. As long as they don't remove them, I'll be happy. But hopefully they wouldn't feel the need to make their own backing track for the songs like they did for Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:26 pm

If completely done by Ocean I would definately watch. And by completely, I mean Ocean handling the script as well. Given it had a swell budget that is.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:07 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:And by completely, I mean Ocean handling the script as well.
No.

(FYI, the link is to emphasize dub quality, not show quality. I'm fully aware PPGZ isn't pop-your-cherries amazing.)
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki