Do you completely disregard the movies?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Do you completely disregard the movies?

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:45 pm

We all pretty much know that the DBZ movies take place in their own alternate timeline that's seperate from the anime's. Yes, the anime is not accurate itself when it came to comparing it to its manga conterpart either, but I tend to relatively think it was more semi-canon than the movies ever were. Another thing that's always bugged me about the Z movies is that, imo, a lot of the villains (not all of them) tended to be nonsensical. I mean, Janempa? How was he possibly and logically strong enough to the point where he was giving super saiyan 3 Goku problems? Another thing is Broly. I've always just seen him as a beefed up super saiyan 1 opponent. How he himself gave Goku, Vegeta, teen Gohan and even future Trunks trouble, I've always thought to be a little crazy. Even still, the first Broly movie kicks all kind of ass. Unfortunately, the same thing can't be said for the other two movies with the character. Second Coming gets some points for having Gohan show up and fight Broly like he did, but it wasn't enough to cover up the shame that was the earlier portion of the movie with those village idiots.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:51 pm

I can watch the movies and have a good time. It's a good way to watch Dragonball with friends, as it's short, well animated, and action packed. I really do enjoy the movies, but if you mean "disreguard" in a story sense, then yes, I do.
It's just silly that there's that many monsters in the universe with enough power to pummel Super Saiyan 3 Goku: Boo, Janemba, Hildegarn, it's just silly at that point. Obviously , a lot of the storys have huge plot holes too. So Goku's in the Other World Tournament, then Vegeta's dead, yet Gotenks exsists? Yeah, makes perfect sense. :roll:
Dispite this, I still really enjoy the movies.

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:00 pm

This post has been deleted.
Last edited by TVfan721 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:03 pm

Disregard how, as in pertaining to "personal canon?"

Er, not really. They're every bit as much a part of the franchise overall as the manga. Everyone who follows GTR would know that, even though I try not to contradict the manga in my writing, in just 12 chapters I've already made either direct or loose reference to several movie- or anime-only characters. I just don't see it as that big of a deal.

If I were making some sort of ultra-definitive timeline or something, where I tried to fit anything and everything I possibly could, then yeah, I'd have no choice but to end up committing some or most of the movies. Too many of them just have weird plot setups, vague time placements, or characters being alive, dead, or Earth's god when they're not supposed to be. I think the only ones that would fit are movies #9 and #13.

But that's not really their fault; "fitting in with the series" was not one of their prime objectives. They're entertaining side-stories. Most of them could be seen as sort of 'What-If' alternatives to portions of the series.
Last edited by Kaboom on Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:06 pm

tvfan721 wrote:Movies 5 to 6 - take place during that waiting period before the Cell games begin. Yeah it's a long shot, but it is possible and it can happen during this time.
Gohan's not a Super Saiyan and Trunks isn't around. And Vegeta's not even in movie 5.

A-dono
Not-So-Newbie

Post by A-dono » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:11 pm

The only movies that could possibly fit into the primary canon are movies 9 and 13. The others are all part of some other timeline.

The movies are good popcorn fun, but they have no bearing on the primary story. They're basically just hypothetical what-if scenarios.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:18 pm

Let's see, off the top of my head...

Movie 1) "If Raditz never arrived."
Movies 2 & 3) "If nobody went to Namek."
Movie 4) "If the Spirit Bomb beat Freeza"
Movie 5) "If Goku never went to Yardrat, and Gohan got a haircut."
Movie 6) "If reality warped around so that Dende was somehow already Earth's god during the final parts of the preparation for the Androids."
Movie 7) "If Piccolo beat the Androids and Cell."
Movie 8) "If Vegeta and/or Trunks beat Cell."
Movie 9) "If Trunks came back in time for a cool little tournament after Gohan beat Cell."
Movie 10) "If Broly's first movie could have happened."
Movie 11) "If Broly's first or second movies could have happened."
Movie 12) "If Goku or Gotenks beat Buu."
Movie 13) "If Mr. Buu was still in hiding from the public."
deviantART
[thread]

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:27 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Let's see, off the top of my head...

Movie 1) "If Raditz never arrived."
Movies 2 & 3) "If nobody went to Namek."
Movie 4) "If the Spirit Bomb beat Freeza"
Movie 5) "If Goku never went to Yardrat, and Gohan got a haircut."
Movie 6) "If reality warped around so that Dende was somehow already Earth's god during the final parts of the preparation for the Androids."
Movie 7) "If Piccolo beat the Androids and Cell."
Movie 8) "If Vegeta and/or Trunks beat Cell."
Movie 9) "If Trunks came back in time for a cool little tournament after Gohan beat Cell."
Movie 10) "If Broly's first movie could have happened."
Movie 11) "If Broly's first or second movies could have happened."
Movie 12) "If Goku or Gotenks beat Buu."
Movie 13) "If Mr. Buu was still in hiding from the public."
It's great that you have these little work-arounds, but I really don't think the movies were meant to be based in any time-line. I just accept them for what the are: Fun!
It's around an hour of good'old Dragonball action!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:32 pm

Oh I know, I said the same thing in my first post. I literally just spent less than five minutes mentally checking the movies for that list.
deviantART
[thread]

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:43 pm

I've always liked to think that movie 5 took place while Goku and the rest were preparing for the androids.
With movie 1, you could say that maybe the events in there take place before Raditz comes.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:20 pm

I just pretend that Movie 9 took place after the Cell saga and don't think too much into it. Mainly because it's my favourite movie :lol:

Same applies for 12 and 13. They realistically could take place after Z ends, so I just pretend they do.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:25 pm

fps_anth wrote:Same applies for 12 and 13. They realistically could take place after Z ends, so I just pretend they do.
Why would Goku and Vegeta die again? And why would Gohan become de-"mystic" then suddenly get it back in 13?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:01 pm

Ultimate_DB_Fan wrote:With movie 1, you could say that maybe the events in there take place before Raditz comes.
But... Kuririn and the gang know of Gohan's existance...
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:12 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:
Ultimate_DB_Fan wrote:With movie 1, you could say that maybe the events in there take place before Raditz comes.
Maybe by "Gohan," the crew at Kame House thought someone had kidnapped Goku's lunch!

And perhaps that giant pillar hit Kuririn's head harder than he thought!
deviantART
[thread]

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:37 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:
Yeah, I know. That's why I said, "could," lol.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Re: Do you completely disregard the movies?

Post by Olivier Hague » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:34 pm

Ultimate_DB_Fan wrote:Do you completely disregard the movies?
Yes. The first three Dragon Ball movies were enjoyable, but after that... I found them awfully boring and formulaic.
tvfan721 wrote:Most of the movies fit in the actual timeline, that's been blown way out of proportion. You have to suspend belief a little bit
"A little bit", yeah...

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:38 pm

Define 'disregard'.

It's obvious that most or all of the movies don't fit in with the manga, or even the anime. I don't feel like I have to 'suspend my disbelief' to enjoy them though. They're just entertainment. It doesn't matter how canon they are, so long as they're good.

That said, they're not always good.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
fps_anth wrote:Same applies for 12 and 13. They realistically could take place after Z ends, so I just pretend they do.
Why would Goku and Vegeta die again? And why would Gohan become de-"mystic" then suddenly get it back in 13?
They didn't die. They just went back to the other world just for fun. Halo's are decoration.

He didn't de-mystic. He just changed his clothes.

:lol:

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:24 pm

fps_anth wrote: He didn't de-mystic. He just changed his clothes.

:lol:
And he put make-up on his eyes? :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

mister yummy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mister yummy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:23 pm

I tent to take the opposite approach. I like to try and squeeze every movie i can into the main timeline. 2, 3, 4, 7 and 11 are the only ones I can't wedge in there, and I can even get them if we exploit Baba and assumed animation errors.

Movie 12, as per why Goku and Vegita are dead? They did it intentionally to fight in the 2nd Annoyoichi Budokai. Vegita was damned to hell because Yenma was having a bad day. Gohan's eyes...that's incredibly minor, and he's still mystic.

I can fit the others in too, if anyone cares to ask.