DBZ / Web Community: Happy Experiences

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:18 pm

Hah.

I just realized we've got 4/5 of the 2nd-generation of site owners in the same thread.

ROCK.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

NeverRamza
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeverRamza » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:42 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:
THANK YOU! Michigan eh? Have you ever studied at JCMU?
Yeah, just north of Detroit. I haven't studied at JCMU before. Isn't that a Japanese transfer program?

number18
Beyond Newbie

Post by number18 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:53 pm

Whoo boy this thread rules!

As for recent topics of this thread, I wonder what you'd consider my site? Is there any sort of DBZ site resurgance or am I just REALLY late in the game? Heh heh heh...

Saiyan Pride was also a guild on AOL for a little while (that had a site of its own). My boyfriend and I in EoNVS (Empire of New Vejitasei!) were like psshaw. We thought it was cool as an idea, since they had a Celipa, Bardock, Toma, etc...but it ultimately seemed like just a little guild of people that thought they were awesome cause they were playing Bardock's team or something. I dunno. Never spoke to any of them cept for the Toma player, who was actually cool. We wanted him to join EoNVS, but he didn't. I forget why.

DBZ RPG on AOL aside (ooh acronyms), I have...oodles of fond memories. (Now prepare, cause this is LONG)

So I started getting into role playing on AOL through my fandom of Sailor Moon. I was just understanding what mun bubbles and action markers were and all that, and I was playing Sailor Jupiter and it was cool. But soon it seemed the SM rooms were dying down and DBZ rooms were popping up in their place. I had seen DBZ before a handful of times, when it would be on at various times of the day on public TV, but aside from that, I barely knew who Goku was and what the series was truly about. I think DBZ started airing on CN at this time, so I started watching it to try and see what it was about, actually hurrying home to catch it. I have a really fond memory of walking up the street to the subway on the way home from school one day with my homeboy Joel, recapping an episode to him, and stopping to check that the bad guy's name was indeed Vegeta.

I learn to love DBZ. I want to rp it even more now. On AOL, I start trying to go into DBZ rooms and role play Makoto amongst the saiyans, which I didn't realize, then in my newbish days, would never work. Frustrated that nobody would even respond to my actions, I decided I needed to find a DBZ character to play. Defintely not ChiChi, I had seen a ton of stupid ones. Bulma seemed the only other viable choice though, but there were a TON of them also and she seemed annoying to me. So I started surfing some DBZ sites for other female characters to play. I find one in particular that has a list of characters and a VERY brief, one sentence description of them. Scrolling down the list, I happen upon "CYBORG 18." The description reads that she is a bad guy that ends up marrying Krillin. With no picture and no other description, I form an image in my head of a tall, slender metallic version of one of those wooden poseable dolls. She seems cool, so I read up on her from some more sites, finding out she's a total asskicker that breaks Vegeta's arm and rules the world. I'm taken. Soon I find some pictures, including one of that poster where she is wearing the cowboy outfit. Since most of her outfit is obscured, I assume the pronounced shoulders of her outfit is actually saiyan armor. Armed with this picture and my newfound info, I make the screename Droid18 and go off to find someone to rp with!

Not soon after making this screename, someone in a DBZ room IMs me asking if I'm playing Juuhachigou. I go, huh? And he kindly informs me that it means Number 18 in Japanese. This person quickly becomes my tutor of all things jinzouningen, and soon, I have a Juunanagou to play with online. His player eventually mails me a copy of a raw History of Trunks, Dragonball 31 (the twins first appearance), and a black sweatshirt with the Red Ribbon logo on it. :D I am officially in love with the cyborg twins at this point.

Meanwhile, in the real world, I find that Galaxy Video on on 8th and Chestnut in Philly is carrying DBZ subs of the Cyborg Saga. I buy the first three immediately, which start at the appearance of #19 and #20 (leaving me still kind of clueless on what happens between the cut-off in the English dub then, Krillin's ugly death and Goku going SSJ). The quality is super shitty, but I am in love and continue to buy more tapes. Soon, there is a small group of us at school (that were never friends before DBZ) buying the tapes, fanatically watching them, and then trading them amongst ourselves. I recall many an excited conversation between classes in the hallways, hearing someone got the newest tape and when could I borrow it.

The first time I saw 18 fight Vegeta, I nearly wet my pants.
The first time I saw Piccolo SLAP AWAY Cell's attack, I think I had some sort of fangirl orgasm because it was THAT badass.
Phew.
I also remember getting super giddy when The World's Strongest would show on Cartoon Network. The original sounds, the way Goku screamed kaioh-ken IN ENGLISH, the actual fighting animation...it was all wonderful. ;-;

Back online, I was getting more and more into playing 18, and I eventually met my boyfriend, GokouDBZC through my constant playing of her. OHhhh and then a whole different story stems out from there. But I digress. I started to get into reading fanfics at the same time. One day, I stumbled upon the epic, most skillfully written, deeply involving, novel-quality fanfiction I have ever read to date. It was called Saiyajin, by Katchan. I spent hours a day reading it, right up to the 50th chapter when Katchan halted progress and pulled it off the net. ;-;

=glances up=

Yeaaah, I think I've written more than enough so far, and I don't need to bring up any more fond memories. I have a LOT, obviously, but the ones I spoke of are really the most memorable, my beginnings into the fandom. I do have to say that meeting Mike and Meri at AnimeNEXT was really great, if only for the fact I started rambling off about a bakuretsu-ha hand position and you knew what I was talking about instantly. ^_^

Annnnnnd I think I'm done now. Phew!
[size=75]"Are we gonna continue?"
"Of course."
"That's the spirit."

[url=http://www.lovelycyborg.com/]Lovely Cyborg[/url][/size]

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:08 pm

I first got into DB late '99 right at the time when CN was airing the Freeza saga for the first time, yes first time.Anyone remember Majin Gohan's site, or how good the Unrivaled Dragonball Source used to be? Ah, those were the days, before everyone and their dog knew what DB was.

Probably my best memories are

1)actually managing to download a clip from PN on 56k, ugg
2)seeing my first fansubs, movies 12 and 13
3)finnaly getting my DB and DBZ 5 cd set
4)buying my first DB manga, I believe it was vol 39

I really miss those days when DB was still in "cult" status in America. Now DB is everywhere, and I do mean everywhere. I work at Safeway and now there's apparently DB fruitsnacks? Do I have to even mention that god awful Beckett magazine which is obviously aimed at the mainstream American audience, DUBBIES. ugg.... i cant go on

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:50 pm

Do I have to even mention that god awful Beckett magazine which is obviously aimed at the mainstream American audience, DUBBIES.
Is that the second book by Pojo (not that the first looked worth buying)? Is it just me or does that seem like it's just a fansite with articles ripped from Daizenshuu (Ultimate Fight Guide: Every battle found in the manga!) that for some reason got published as a "book"?
seeing my first fansubs, movies 12 and 13
Was 13 everybody's first? It was my 2nd last! I did see 12 first though. Then I splurged on an overpriced Bardock special (near-dvd quality in SP) which luckily had all but 2 mins of the Trunks special after it. ....Nobody asked me though so I'll shut up now. :D
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:27 pm

Actually, the 13th or the 12th movie wasn't my first. My first was actually the 7th one, I had actually bought a bundle of movies 4 to 7 and also 9 to 11. Then went nuts and watched them all! It took me a while to find movie 8, along with 12 and 13, guess it was really popular at the time. Even without it, that was a fun day!
Last edited by Jerseymilk on Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

number18
Beyond Newbie

Post by number18 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:37 am

Beckett...from what I have always assumed when flipping through, is just a companion to the card game. Beckett does a Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon magazine as well, all three with those iffy drawings on the front. I wonder how they get away with using images of the copyrighted chars...

But Beckett really sucks, I think. It doesn't seem interesting at ALL to a fan that doesn't play the game. They had one magazine that was supposed to be Women of DBZ, and it had 18, Videl and Bulma on the cover in a Charlie's Angels pose. Upon looking through the magazine for info, there was like....barely ANY mention of 18, and hardly anything else written for the other two. So I'm like huh? However, they did have another with 16, 17, and 18 on the cover, with a pretty big poster inside that was kinda cool of the trio. Along with that, there was ...hmm, an okay two-page rundown of all the androids in the series. They described #15 as dressing like someone from the 80s, with his sunglasses and baggy pants... or some crap. It was really retarded, I thought, since he is CLEARLY wearing a fokkin zoot suit! -.-;

My first DBZ movie was the Trunks Special...and I'm not sure if that's considered a movie. I never knew which movie was what number. After that, it must have been movie 7, which I believe is the movie with 13, 14, and 15. Actually...maybe I saw Tree of Might and World's Strongest before the android movie. =rubs chin= Is 13 the Janemba movie? And which one has Tapion in it? Definitely saw those two after movie 7. Janemba's teleport was soooooooo tough when I first saw it. And then seeing Vegeta cry...I was moved to awwwwness!
[size=75]"Are we gonna continue?"
"Of course."
"That's the spirit."

[url=http://www.lovelycyborg.com/]Lovely Cyborg[/url][/size]

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:52 am

Really, Jersey? 4 and 7 were my hard to finds. They were, in exactly that order, the last 2 I ever saw. When I finally found 4 it was that crappy french dub (STILL waiting for my back-ordered box set of 4-6 DVDs. :evil: ), and 7 was such bad quality that I didn't buy it. My brother eventually downloaded it but it was 00ber pixelated so I didn't ruin my first experience by watching it. I guess I STILL haven't seen movie 4 in japanese, and I only saw movie 7 for the first time recently (when I bought the dvd around September). After the Bardock/Trunks fansub I got a "Broly Special" (8,10,11 on one tape) and movie 9. A while later I got 13 and rebought the Trunks special to get those last 2 mins. I had the dub of movie 1 and taped the dubs of 2+3 off a friend so I was content (thinking unedited meant it was not edited. Silly me) with those until I got the box set in December/January.

So that's my fansub collecting life story. I eventually got some GT fansubs for free (eps 1-12) when I bought ssome Boo saga eps (Vegetto,SSJ3 Goku, Gotenks eps). Why free? The guy's logic was 4 eps in sp or 12 in ep. Since I wanted sp quality, I bought tons of sp tapes, but once you buy 3 you get a fourth for free. Since I had all he had of DB/Z, I figured I'd take all the GT eps in ep. Yay me! Friday's a new ep for me on YTV! Whoo!

...God I have no life. :(
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:14 am

Ya my hard to find was Movie 8, I really don't know why. Movie 12 and 13 were a bit scarce too, but not as much as 8. That's funny that you'd have trouble with number 4, because it was one of the easiest ones to get here in Ottawa, although it's probably my worst fansub in terms of quality, along with my GT ones. My copy of Movie 7 is pretty crappy too. The picture's not so bad, but the sound was obviously re-taped by some idiot in mono. God help me! I'm so glad I have the DVD copy of it now! I always find it kinda weird when I watch them for the first time on the Funi DVDs because all I keep saying is, "Everything's so clear! The sound is really good, and the faces! I can actually make out the faces!" You'd think I was watching T.V. for the first time in my life! :lol:

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:54 pm

"Everything's so clear! The sound is really good, and the faces! I can actually make out the faces!" You'd think I was watching T.V. for the first time in my life!
That was my EXACT reaction to my first DBZ DVD (movie 8)!

All 42 volumes of Dragonballs: Approx $588
2 Daizenshuu: Approx $70
2 annoying but quality-ok dub tapes: approx $40
Fansubs: approx $50
DVD player: $200
5 DBZ DVDs: $130
Experiencing Dragonball fandom over and over again: Priceless...as long as I have my credit card that is

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:12 pm

Almost all first edition Daizenshuu. More than my cells, first print DB manga, GT files, and almost more than my Amano autographs. Those are perhaps my most prized posession.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:15 pm

omae you are one lucky bastich. :(

Ramenman

Post by Ramenman » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:08 pm

Hoo boy, fond Dragonball memories? Well, here goes...

#1- Waking up that fateful Sunday at 6am and seeing a one-armed Piccolo firing his "Special Beam Cannon" at Raditz and Goku. That was the moment I became a fan.

#2- Buying Idainaru Dragonball Densetsu for my Sega Saturn, and finally hearing the Japanese voice actors (and nearly doubling over after hearing Goku's voice...that was a huge shock).

#3- Buying my first fansub and then spending an entire summer of building a collection.

And finally #4- Just gaining an appreciation of Japanese culture. Dragonball was my "gateway drug" into anime and everything Japanese, and for that I'm very grateful.

EDIT: Realizing I put nothing in about the web community (-_-), here is the 5th memory...
Reading Dragonball Z: Uncensored and finding out that Gurudo was killed by decapatation. I went back and watched that episode over and over again, trying to spot the edit. I'll rarely say this about editing content, but kudos to FUNi for making that look so damn convincing.
"It's 3am in Wisconsin. I want a camel. Go get me it."
"Prince...it's 3am in Wisconsin. It's the middle of January. You want a camel. That is neither physically or psychologically possible.”

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:41 pm

My web community highlight has to be taking a seemingly random link and ending up at DBZ Uncensored, when it was run by Chris Psaros.

Having seen some of the stuff missing from the show on the Ultimate DBZ Info site I had already become somewhat interested in seeing the original version, but after getting to read Psaros site, I became obsessed with finally getting to see the real thing.

Finally after working up the courage to order from an online site for the first time (Rightstuf in this case), I got my first taste of "real DBZ" from the Dead Zone/Return my Gohan movie release and I never turned back.

Kestra-Kaito

*thinks*

Post by Kestra-Kaito » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:10 pm

:roll: *sigh* Ah, the memories...

- After I saw DBZ for the first time over in good ole' England, I went online, found DBZGTLegacy and researched the show. Imagine my delight, when I sat down in front of the TV during the Saiyan Saga and actually understood what in the bejeebers was going on.

- I was happy for days afterwards when I found out that the Majin Buu and so forth Sagas playing in the UK were going to be the Ocean-dubbed version, and not silly old FUNimation. Brian Drummond. Bliss.
Don't be a guy! The world is full of guys! Be a man!

-Kestra-Kaito

The Fungus

Post by The Fungus » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:33 am

My first memory would have to be when I searched through Google and found the link the Planet Namek. I immediately fell in love with the site when I downloaded the video of Goku turning Super Saiya-jin for the first time.

The next memory would have to be when my editorial was posted on Daizenshuu EX's website. Here's the link to it http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~vegex/inte ... 3/02.shtml

As in the words of Stewie from "The Family Guy": "If you were any slower you wouldn't need an egg timer...you'd need an egg calendar. Oh yes...I went there."

majinboogc
Not-So-Newbie

Post by majinboogc » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:23 am

I started off with Planet Namek way back in its early days. Actually when they had newsletters to offer. Anyways I then discovered that there were CDs with the background music. It was one of the best days ever. I had watched the first half of the android/cell saga in spanish here in So. California via XEWT from TJ at 3:30 I never missed an episode. Anyways side tracking. I then moved on to VegettoEX's Home Page when it was linked and then briefly hosted there, and visited back and forth and finally here I am. I now own All the BGM music CDs. :D Took me a long time to get all the officials but yeah, damn proud! recently I ripped all the music and put all of it in episode/movie order on a mini-RW fits "like a glove" litterally. Just pure BGM Goodness. :) :D :wink:
I am SaiyaKaizoku.

What happened happened and couldn't have happened any other way. - Morpheus (The Matrix Reloaded)

parron
Not-So-Newbie

Post by parron » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:03 pm

My best DBZ moments...

I'm a big sub fan, and normally I try and avoid the dub. Not that I wasn't THRILLED out of my fan-girl brain when I literarily ran into Sean Schemmel at an anime art gallery I was hosting & had my art in. Eeee!!! Real live, Bone fide (maybe not the BEST, but...) voice actor! He liked my drawings! He signed a picture! x.x Yes, I know I'm pathetic. (btw, I was drawing Pan, and he thought it was Videl. I'm not *that* bad of an artist, and she was even wearing the bandana! So maybe he ain't the smartest guy when it comes to DBZ... I don't care!)

#2 would be, quite simply, finding out that the I-channel played DBZ in Japanese. And then realizing I had that channel. And then being a nervous wreck that entire sunday, waiting for 10:30 so I could watch UNCUT JAPAPENSE DBZ for the first time. And then not even blinking as I watched it, despite not knowing ANY Japanese at the time. I almost CRIED.

#3 ...as fangirlish and "gaah!" inducing as it sounds, the first time I wrote a sucsessful, canon-based DBZ fanfiction. And then my favorite author, who also writes strictly canon, In-Character stories, reviewed it. I seriously DANCED around the room, and told all my friends. As in, I called them. x.x (Yes, I know I'm a fangirl. I don't care!)

Lastly, the first time I got fangirlish over one of the DBZ guys. Goten, in case you cared. :3

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:50 pm

parron wrote:(btw, I was drawing Pan, and he thought it was Videl. I'm not *that* bad of an artist, and she was even wearing the bandana! So maybe he ain't the smartest guy when it comes to DBZ... I don't care!)
As some sort of attempt at defending the good lord Schemmel, when was this? Had they started dubbing GT yet?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:07 am

I actually don't mind Sean Schemmel. Mainly because in interviews I've read he comes out as a guy who really has tried hard and cares about how good a job he does. It's just that the man makes Goku sound constipated when he powers up! :?