Flight in DBZ?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Flight in DBZ?

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:20 am

This has alway bothered me. Up untill Goku leaves Snake Way, there is no mention of flight. Tenshinhan and Chiaotzu could levitate in DB, but not really fly. I think Piccolo was the only one who could fly in DB. Before Goku trained with Kaio he would always use the Kintoun, he even used it to find Radditz. But with no explination, Goku flies home from Snake Way. During the Vejiita battle it seems Gohan and Kuririn can fly as well. After the battle, it seems like everyone else can suddenly fly. Is it ever mentioned how they learned flight or can they just do it automatically?

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:33 pm

Kuririn magically learned to fly for the 23rd tournament.

Maybe Yamcha did as well.

Piccolo taught Gohan how to fly in preperation for the Saiyans probably

I remember reading Chris Psaros' editorial on this exact same subject on DBZU.
Where's the beef?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:54 pm

Spoilers below for late DB. Just making that clear.

I think what we need to make clear is that there's no distinction, in terms of a named technique, between "levitation" and "flying"; it's all bukujutsu. The difference comes in the amount of energy the user is willing to put into it, and thus lose from themselves. It's mentioned early on that flying takes a good bit of energy from the user, especially to sustain for an extended period of time.

(Heroes) [O]ther than Tenshinhan and Chiaotzu all seem to start making the sudden realizations and masterings of bukujutsu after the 22nd Budokai... which isn't so hard to believe, since they just witnessed Goku actually LOSE to someone, almost exclusively based on the fact that he couldn't fly like his opponent.

I've always been curious about Goku's killing of Piccolo-Daimao... did he jump? Did he fly? Did he in some other ki-based way propel himself towards the enemy? We know he flew to defeat Ma Junior; the rest of his body was pretty much broken and no longer working, so that's the only thing he could do. Not to mention they verbally announce it's specifically bukujutsu.

Regardless...

Kuririn's learned to fly in the years between tournaments, since he uses it with a grin so as to not get knocked out by Ma Junior. Yamcha... we don't really know. He's got it by Saiya-jin. Goku's the wild-card, I think. He can obviously fly by Raditz, even though he's still mostly using Kintoun (he flies TO Kaio-sama's as best he can before losing too much energy and needing to float back down and run... though the sneeze is from being talked about [Japanese myth], not lack of energy as the dub led you to believe).

Villains always seem to have it (well, starting post-RRA, anyway). Something with inherent Toriyama logic of "villains must be stronger," which somehow implies awesome-evil-flying-control :P.

Did any of that even make coherent sense? I'll even take incoherent sense.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:35 pm

So no one knows how Goku learned to fly? Did Kaio teach him?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:51 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:So no one knows how Goku learned to fly? Did Kaio teach him?
He was flying before he met Kaio-sama, so no.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:09 pm

Kami probably taught him.

He couldn't have learned after the Tenshinhan tournament, for the King Piccolo episodes since he didn't have the time.
Where's the beef?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:09 pm

Goku spontaneously taught himself the Kamehameha after watching Kame-Sen'nin use it, so I don't think it would be that big of a stretch for a slightly older child with significantly more control over his ki to teach himself a new technique such as bukujutsu ^^.

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:27 pm

I suppose so, but if he could fly vs. Piccolo Daimao, then he wouldn't have needed Tenshinhan to carry him up.

And didn't he use a one handed Kamehameha to propel himself upwards towards Piccolo then did his Oozaru punch thingy?
Where's the beef?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Flight in DBZ?

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:32 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:Before Goku trained with Kaio he would always use the Kintoun, he even used it to find Radditz. But with no explination, Goku flies home from Snake Way.
I always figured that Kaio-sama's training made Goku so much stronger that whereas he was only able to fly for a short period along Serpent Road the first time, he could fly at a tremendous speed for a longer time without tiring.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:35 pm

Goku's some kind of fighting genius. He's a lot smarter than people give him credit. He can adapt techniques rather well after simply watching them being performed, and he comes up with on-the-spot techniques that ACTUALLY FUCKING WORK, and some of them even look cool. So I have no doubt that he learned bukujyutsu by only watching it.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:51 pm

Piccolo Daimao broke all of Goku's arms except for his right arm. Piccolo Daimao then flew into the air to fire off his last attack at Goku. However Goku charged up a KameHameHa in his right hand, aimed it at the ground and used it to throw him into the air. He then stopped the KameHameHa and put all his strength into his right arm and went through Piccolo Daimao, killing him.

As for Goku learning the Bukujutsu, he must have learnt it after he went to Kami's but before the 23rd tourniment, as.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

W
A
R
N
I
N
G

Piccolo Jr broke all of Goku's limbs to prevent the same mistake his father made. I can't remember how, but Goku got thrown out of the ring. But he then used the Bukujutsu to save himself from falling out the ring and fly into Piccolo's chest, knocking him out the ring.

E
N
D

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:05 am

Caracal wrote:Piccolo Daimao broke all of Goku's arms except for his right arm. Piccolo Daimao then flew into the air to fire off his last attack at Goku. However Goku charged up a KameHameHa in his right hand, aimed it at the ground and used it to throw him into the air. He then stopped the KameHameHa and put all his strength into his right arm and went through Piccolo Daimao, killing him.
Are we sure that was a Kamehameha, and not just a powerful chi blast? I know he didn't call it a kamehameha in either the manga, original or dub.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:12 am

Caracal wrote:I can't remember how, but Goku got thrown out of the ring. But he then used the Bukujutsu to save himself from falling out the ring and fly into Piccolo's chest, knocking him out the ring.
No, Piccolo was levitating above him, and fired an extremely powerful blast towards Goku, which atomized about half the ring. Goku used the Bukujutsu to fly away, then waited high in the air as Piccolo was laughing about how he had destroyed Goku, before he flew toward Piccolo at top speed, headbutting him out of the ring.