DBZ just isn't the same...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

DBZ just isn't the same...

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:23 pm

To me, Dragon Ball Z just isn't same with the Faulconer music. I'm not dissing anybody who is a fan of the FUNi-Faulconer version; I actually respect you all.

As for me, I can't watch Dragon Ball Z without the Japanese music. It's one of the reasons when I was younger I preferred Dragon Ball over Dragon Ball Z (I liked the action of DBZ more than DB, it wasn't that I was a kid) but I liked DB more overall because of the epic Japanese music on Cartoon Network.

I don't know... when listening to the American music, DBZ just isn't the same show to me. It seems more intense, more hardcore, and I don't know, just, more negative to me. This may be a bit harsh but it's true. I don't feel right watching DBZ with the Faulconer music.

This is why I love the Japanese score. Just feeling my semi-radical thoughts (... what?). Again, I do respect all Faulconer fans for being able to appreciate music that I can't.

Anyways, if you have an opinion on the music you'd like to share, let me know. (Also, I wasn't sure if this should go under General Discussion or Music so if it needs to go under Music please do so, admins, thank you).

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:27 pm

Fullmetal Alchemist doesn't have a dub score.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:28 pm

B wrote:Fullmetal Alchemist doesn't have a dub score.
... What does that have to do with anything?
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:32 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:
B wrote:Fullmetal Alchemist doesn't have a dub score.
... What does that have to do with anything?
Because it's awful, and yet, the people who enjoy it don't have fanbase-dividing discussions like this. And, it was dubbed by FUNimation.

The individual Faulconer tracks are nice little pieces of music, but they're applied horribly within the show. At least Menza's team knew WHEN and WHERE they were supposed put their bouncy hip-hop for the best effect.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:33 pm

I am not saying there's anything wrong with the original Japanese music, but I can't listen to it. It just makes the show seem more 'whimpy' with chimes and flumes and all that going off during a battle. We need some BAMF music for stuff like that and Faulconer delivered.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:38 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:I am not saying there's anything wrong with the original Japanese music, but I can't listen to it. It just makes the show seem more 'whimpy' with chimes and flumes and all that going off during a battle. We need some BAMF music for stuff like that and Faulconer delivered.
You do realize that you just cemented the DaizEX stereotype of Faulconer-loving dub fans?
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Teclo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Teclo » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:41 pm

All Faulconer delivered was crap aimed at 14-year-old Americans with black hoodies on. It arguably works when you're a young teenager but when you grow up, it sounds actually laughable. So horribly overwrought and ham-fisted. For the record, I'm not particularly a fan of the Japanese music. It definitely fits better but it's aged very badly (I can only imagine it seemed retro at the time) and tends to get pretty repetitive. I just don't find it that emotive. That said, the US music really doesn't fit at all. It's like having 50 Cent do the soundtrack to a Royal Shakespeare Company production of Hamlet. Or to flip it, using Mozart for the soundtrack to Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
Last edited by Teclo on Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:42 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:I am not saying there's anything wrong with the original Japanese music, but I can't listen to it. It just makes the show seem more 'whimpy' with chimes and flumes and all that going off during a battle. We need some BAMF music for stuff like that and Faulconer delivered.
I don't think so. I think you were led to believe this. France, Italy, and Spain all dubbed Dragon Ball before FUNimation did, and their dubs are faithful and use the original music. And guess what? It became a huge hit anyway.

Dragon Ball's appeal has nothing(and everything...?) to do with its music.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:42 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:I am not saying there's anything wrong with the original Japanese music, but I can't listen to it. It just makes the show seem more 'whimpy' with chimes and flumes and all that going off during a battle. We need some BAMF-
I hate to interrupt, but you've got a little FUNi-semen on your lip right there.
Last edited by Rory on Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:44 pm

Not being particularly bothered about the anime myself, the main problem I have Funi's score is that never bloody stops. Neither score seems particularly great to me (as I say, don't watch the anime much), but I prefer the Japanese just because it's not playing all the damn time.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:45 pm

Rory wrote:
LeprikanGT wrote:I am not saying there's anything wrong with the original Japanese music, but I can't listen to it. It just makes the show seem more 'whimpy' with chimes and flumes and all that going off during a battle. We need some BAMF-
I hate to interupt, but you've got a little FUNi-semen on your lip right there.
You should try to not misspell "interrupt" when insulting someone. It's gotta be hard, I know, tapping the R key twice.

A-dono
Not-So-Newbie

Post by A-dono » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:46 pm

There are few pieces of the Faulconer score that are respectable, but overall, I find it to be dredge that's excruciating to the ears. Sometimes it feels like I'm listening to music from an early 90's video game when I hear the Faulconer stuff.

I will say, however, that the Faulconer crap is a step up from the Shuki Levy shit that the Ocean Dub used. That score had a total of five different tracks that repeated over-and-over-and-over-and-over again.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:46 pm

B wrote:
Rory wrote:
LeprikanGT wrote:Not saying theres anything wrong with the original jap music; but i cant listen to it. It just makes the show seem more 'whimpy' with chimes and flumes and all that going off during a battle. We need some BAMF-
I hate to interupt, but you've got a little FUNi-semen on your lip right there.
You should try to not misspell "interrupt" when insulting someone. It's gotta be hard, I know, tapping the R key twice.
Gimme a break, I'm on my PS3 here, I'm trying to pump this out asap. :lol:

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:47 pm

I didn't get that feeling at all watching Dragonball years ago for the first time. To me it fit for some strange reason.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:47 pm

It's impossible for me to watch my favorite DBZ moments WITHOUT his score. He (well, Scott Morgan and Mike Smith) always picked the right songs, especially during the Cell saga.
Rory wrote:
I hate to interrupt, but you've got a little FUNi-semen on your lip right there.
I swear to fucking God, this place is turning into a parody of itself.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:04 pm

What's wrong with having an intelligent discussion as to why we don't care about the US music?
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:05 pm

Did you not read the post I quoted?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:09 pm

If I may add something to Rory's remark, this appreciation for Faulconer's tracks stems less from FUNimation fanboyism(FUNimation is Jesus to the One Piece fanbase[Oda is their God]) and more from it being in English.

You'll be hard pressed to find someone who hates FUNimation's dub acting/writing, but loves their music, or vice versa. The two go hand in hand.
Last edited by B on Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:09 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Did you not read the post I quoted?
I really don't see how Daizex is turning into a parody of itself.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:13 pm

We don't need so many threads about how bad Falconer's terrible music is, but I'd at least like to contribute.

His music should be kept as far away from the Dragon Box as possible, it's like if ADV Films released Macross with the old Robotech dub untouched, it's just embarrassing.
Last edited by The Time Traveller on Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.