Choices, choices, choices..

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Choices, choices, choices..

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:47 pm

OK.

So since the Dragon Box sets are coming out here, I have a choice to make.

GET:

These?

Or these?

Now, I really don't care about the aspect ratio. I just want the show. And the bricks are done. And Funimation may pull a 2006 on us. So...

WHAT DO I DO?!

PS: Wasn't sure where I should ask this. Mods or Mikey, lock this if it should go somewhere else or just doesn't belong. Plus, you guys are like what made my fandom reform, so I came and asked here :p.

Freeza.exe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza.exe » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:52 pm

Dragon box it's just higher picture and sound quality overall. Even if they do cancel it you can just pick up where they left off with the season sets.

As far as I know the dub music is still up in the air for the Dragon Box so if that matters to you I'd just wait a little bit to see what they reveal about that.
My friend broke my PSP just in time for Naruto Ultimate Ninja 5 to come out....WHOOOO!

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:53 pm

Dragon Box! I don't think FUNimation will fail us now. Look at all their other animes, you know? They're different than a few years ago.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:15 pm

Even if you don't care about aspect ratio, Season 2 and part of Season 3 have very washed out colors. We know that the Dragon Box will be consistent. I'd say go with the Dragon Box.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:21 pm

OK, if you don't care about the aspect ratio, go w/the remastered sets.

But if you want the full experience, then choose the Dragonbox. If they do cancel it (which seems very unlikely) then you can fill in the rest with the singles or Remastered sets.
Last edited by SuperSaiyan3Goku on Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:22 pm

I'd pick the Dragonbox as seasons 1-3 have terrible quality. Also from the pics taken, the Dragonbox seems to have better packaging.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:23 pm

SuperSaiyan3Goku wrote: But if you want the full experience, then choose the Dragonbox. If they do cancel it (which seems very unlikely) then you can fill in the rest with the singles or Remastered sets.
This is my exact feeling on the matter. I am going to buy the Dragon boxes to replace, well not really, my remastered sets and if they cancel them, well, I have the remastered sets already.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:35 pm

So now we're helping folks shop. All right.

There is no choice to be made. Dragon Box. Leave the remastering of a show to the studio that made it, not to licensors who "remaster" by cropping and brightening.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:39 pm

Why couldn't you decide for yourself?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:37 pm

If you want to go for the cheapest option, then the Season sets no question.

If you have enough money, the Dragon Box. Unless you're a dub music fan and the dub music is dropped from the set. Then just go for the Season sets instead.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:11 pm

DragonBox, obviously. Why even ask?
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:15 pm

Because~! I want to say I own the whole damn series. PLUS, the first 4 Season Sets are FUCKING $17.49 AT AMAZON! That is DIRT cheap! But I want the Dragon Box for episode previews and the Dragon Book, aswell.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:00 pm

RoarkVegeta wrote: But I want the Dragon Box for episode previews and the Dragon Book, aswell.
This. Even if you don't care about Aspect Ratio, the DBox has all the extra stuff that the season sets don't.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:07 pm

The Dragon Box has better box art. Goku on the front and Gohan on the side, that's classic Dragon Ball right there. Much better to have on the shelf than screaming Vegeta.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:23 pm

Dr. Casey wrote:The Dragon Box has better box art. Goku on the front and Gohan on the side, that's classic Dragon Ball right there. Much better to have on the shelf than screaming Vegeta.
How is Gohan more classic than Vegeta.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:25 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Dr. Casey wrote:The Dragon Box has better box art. Goku on the front and Gohan on the side, that's classic Dragon Ball right there. Much better to have on the shelf than screaming Vegeta.
How is Gohan more classic than Vegeta?
He showed up in the series before Vegeta? :D
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Freeza.exe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza.exe » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:26 pm

I'm not seeing a screaming Vegeta. I'm looking at "DragonballZ".
My friend broke my PSP just in time for Naruto Ultimate Ninja 5 to come out....WHOOOO!

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:27 am

Look at the price of the Season Sets.

If you're willing to make the sacrifice, the Season Sets are an incredibly cheap alternative.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:05 am

RoarkVegeta wrote:Because~! I want to say I own the whole damn series. PLUS, the first 4 Season Sets are FUCKING $17.49 AT AMAZON! That is DIRT cheap! But I want the Dragon Box for episode previews and the Dragon Book, aswell.
I'd rather pay more for a complete product.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:27 am

If price is an issue and you want the entire series already, get the Season Sets. Other than that, of course Dragon Boxes. It's not about aspect ratio, but the quality of the show. But if you really don't care and just want the entire series now, then get the Season Sets.