DBGT Dragon Box

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rainking187

Re: DBGT Dragon Box

Post by Rainking187 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:02 pm

Dai wrote:
Rainking187 wrote:
SaiyaJedi wrote:By the way, the official site's here:
http://www.jumpland.com/dragonbox_gt/
The set also comes with the 4th (and last) "Dragonbook" booklet, and a life-size Dragon Radar remote control. :shock:
So how is that going to work? If it is a TV/DVD remote, isn't it useless without a DVD player? Will it be like a universal remote or something? And would it only work on R2 DVD players?
The entire boxset is useless unless you've got a Region 2 compatible DVD player, so I think the answer to that can be quickly found.
My PC plays R2 DVDs, so I don't really need a remote. But I'm still wondering exactly how this will work.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:22 pm

Dai wrote:
Rainking187 wrote:
SaiyaJedi wrote:By the way, the official site's here:
http://www.jumpland.com/dragonbox_gt/
The set also comes with the 4th (and last) "Dragonbook" booklet, and a life-size Dragon Radar remote control. :shock:
So how is that going to work? If it is a TV/DVD remote, isn't it useless without a DVD player? Will it be like a universal remote or something? And would it only work on R2 DVD players?
The entire boxset is useless unless you've got a Region 2 compatible DVD player, so I think the answer to that can be quickly found.
Or if you have a PS2 and a Game Shark, or a DVD player in your computer. What I actually did was buy a Sampo DVE-612 player a couple years back ($40) and used a remote hack to make it region free. Although I also have the PS2 and DVD-rom.

Anyways, this set only costs $509 if you pay the full retail price. You can preorder it off Amazon right now for 40,000 yen ($388) so it's not as expensive as everybody says. (I know it says 42,000 yen on Amazon, but that's actually counting in the express shipping, which you don't have to get)

Rainking187

Post by Rainking187 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:39 pm

DBW wrote:
Dai wrote:
Rainking187 wrote: So how is that going to work? If it is a TV/DVD remote, isn't it useless without a DVD player? Will it be like a universal remote or something? And would it only work on R2 DVD players?
Or if you have a PS2 and a Game Shark, or a DVD player in your computer. What I actually did was buy a Sampo DVE-612 player a couple years back ($40) and used a remote hack to make it region free. Although I also have the PS2 and DVD-rom.

Anyways, this set only costs $509 if you pay the full retail price. You can preorder it off Amazon right now for 40,000 yen ($388) so it's not as expensive as everybody says. (I know it says 42,000 yen on Amazon, but that's actually counting in the express shipping, which you don't have to get)
Just hope the dollar hasn't completely bottomed out by the time it ships.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:34 am

If anyone's interested, they've posted some images of the set on the Jumpland site. Looks pretty damn good...

http://www.jumpland.com/dragonbox_gt/diary/diary.html

ImageImage

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:22 am

The box looks very good with those Gokuu's on it~

What's with all the Oolong's on the site? ~_~
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:43 am

That's hella sweet seeing DBGT (specifically SSJ4 Goku) drawn in the more recent Akira Toriyama kanzenban style. Looks incredibly powerful and intimidating... instead o' cute 'n fuzzy :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:26 pm

Ash wrote:What's with all the Oolong's on the site? ~_~
The section is called Uuron no seisaku nisshi (Oolong's work/production diary). Oolong makes all the updates about the upcoming set, they did this for the DB Dragon Box as well. This is the forth update, you can see the previous updates by clicking that little drop-down bar near the top.

The site also has a very long GT music video which covers the entire series from start to finish to the tune of DAN DAN Kokoro. The video was recently aired at Jump Festa 2005.

http://www.jumpland.com/dragonbox_gt/lib/lib.html

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:23 pm

damn...
what is it whith those dragonboxes and their designs.
Makes me want to buy this only cause of the cool goku drawings and the extras.
Ahhh, I'm going crazy.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:50 am

sangofe wrote:damn...
what is it whith those dragonboxes and their designs.
Makes me want to buy this only cause of the cool goku drawings and the extras.
Ahhh, I'm going crazy.
The designs are nice, granted, but the discs themselves rock. It may not be remastered to the extent that EVA has been, but it's still the best quality (and most complete version) around.

And thus my quest to know Japanese continues...

-Corey

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:00 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:The designs are nice, granted, but the discs themselves rock. It may not be remastered to the extent that EVA has been, but it's still the best quality (and most complete version) around.
Yeah, but they're not without their flaws...
- No preview for DBZ episode 1
- No preview for GT episode 1
- No preview for the Trunks special
- "Goku's Traffic Safety" not remastered
- "Goku's Firefighting Regiment" not remastered

I'm still trying to figure out why the hell those previews were left out, seems kind of stupid. So far the most solid set (for content and extras) has been Dragon Box Z Vol. 1

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:24 am

DBW wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:The designs are nice, granted, but the discs themselves rock. It may not be remastered to the extent that EVA has been, but it's still the best quality (and most complete version) around.
Yeah, but they're not without their flaws...
- No preview for DBZ episode 1
- No preview for GT episode 1
- No preview for the Trunks special
- "Goku's Traffic Safety" not remastered
- "Goku's Firefighting Regiment" not remastered

I'm still trying to figure out why the hell those previews were left out, seems kind of stupid. So far the most solid set (for content and extras) has been Dragon Box Z Vol. 1
What's "Goku's Traffic Safety" and "Goku's Firefighting Regiment"?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:31 am

Chuquita wrote:What's "Goku's Traffic Safety" and "Goku's Firefighting Regiment"?
I'm guessing... educational filmstrips. Mike and I ran across the titles in Toei's archives a while back, and had no clue... so that's our best guess. But who wouldn't want Goku to be in their very own Fire Brigade? :)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Ultimate Tofu Guy Drift

Post by Ultimate Tofu Guy Drift » Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:32 am

Man that looks awesome. Does anybody know where I can find the DBZ Dragonbox's that I can pre-rder online? And have they made a DB dragonbox?

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:15 am

There's a Dragon Ball Dragon Box and two Box Sets containing all of Z, and now apparently an upcoming GT one.

And, well.... Amazon.co.jp.
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:49 am

Ultimate Tofu Guy Drift wrote:Man that looks awesome. Does anybody know where I can find the DBZ Dragonbox's that I can pre-rder online? And have they made a DB dragonbox?
Well, you can't "pre-order" the DBZ boxes, since they came out in 2003... but you could still give it a shot (I don't know if they're still available). As for the rest... what Dai said. :)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:45 pm

Ultimate Tofu Guy Drift wrote:Man that looks awesome. Does anybody know where I can find the DBZ Dragonbox's that I can pre-rder online? And have they made a DB dragonbox?
You can order the GT set off Amazon now (and if you plan on buying it you should order as soon as possible before the price goes up).

The Dragon Ball set can still be ordered from Toei and CD-Japan (English ordering division of NeoWing) for full retail price (aka: expensive as hell)...
http://member.toei-anim.co.jp/esp/cgi-b ... BC%2d50482
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/Listups/anime/dragon-ball.html

The DBZ sets can be found for sale on Amazon Japan's private sales section. However, the used sets are still very expensive, and the new sets generally cost more than retail price (especially for Z Vol. 1). You can also find the DB Dragon Box here...
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/tg/ ... 96-3588206
I'm guessing... educational filmstrips.
Yep, they're public service videos which aired in June of 1988. In the traffic one, Goku is going to visit Bulma (I think it was her birthday). A police officer (who is a clone of Lunch) and Snow end up telling Goku and a boy who appears to be Snow's brother (???) all about traffic safety. In the second one, Goku tells some kids about fire safety and ends up saving Bulma from a high rise apartment after an earthquake. Yamucha, Kame Sennin, and Kuririn are also firefighters. Both of the videos end with Masako Nozawa and Mayumi Tanaka singing Makafushigi Adventure with new traffic/fire safety lyrics. It's kinda cool. Maybe I'll take some screen-caps later today...

Ultimate Tofu Guy Drift

Post by Ultimate Tofu Guy Drift » Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:17 pm

Thank you very much for your help. :D

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:54 pm

Educational filmstrips...sounds interesting, especially the fire safety one. :D
I hope you can get some screenshots.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:01 am

Ok, I've made a good handful of screen-caps...

"Gokuu no Koutsuu Anzen" - Goku's Traffic Safety (approx. 15 min)

Trouble on the way to Metro West...

A close call...

Police Officer Lunch! (although she's only credited as "Policewoman", she's also still voiced by Mami Koyama)

Don't cross the street until the light turns blue!

Look out!!! (the boy is about to get hit by a car)

Saved by the Nyoi-bo...

Classic.

"Gokuu no Shoubou Tai" - Goku's Firefighting Regiment (approx. 11 min)

Goku to the rescue! (putting out a firecracker that landed in a trash can)

No smoking in bed! (one of many helpful fire safety tips)

Earthquake!!!

When you see a fire, dial 119...

Buruma abunai!!!

Uh oh, her cat Tama is trapped in the fire! (not the same as Brief's cat)

...but Goku saves the cat...

...and puts out the fire too!

Ha Ha Ha! A job well done!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:35 pm

mind making divx files or something out of that?
DBW wrote:Ok, I've made a good handful of screen-caps...

"Gokuu no Koutsuu Anzen" - Goku's Traffic Safety (approx. 15 min)

Trouble on the way to Metro West...

A close call...

Police Officer Lunch! (although she's only credited as "Policewoman", she's also still voiced by Mami Koyama)

Don't cross the street until the light turns blue!

Look out!!! (the boy is about to get hit by a car)

Saved by the Nyoi-bo...

Classic.

"Gokuu no Shoubou Tai" - Goku's Firefighting Regiment (approx. 11 min)

Goku to the rescue! (putting out a firecracker that landed in a trash can)

No smoking in bed! (one of many helpful fire safety tips)

Earthquake!!!

When you see a fire, dial 119...

Buruma abunai!!!

Uh oh, her cat Tama is trapped in the fire! (not the same as Brief's cat)

...but Goku saves the cat...

...and puts out the fire too!

Ha Ha Ha! A job well done!