Die-hard dub fans (why are you, if so?)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Die-hard dub fans (why are you, if so?)

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:00 am

I was wondering if there are any members here who specifically listen to the dub version of the entire series and don't bother with the original Japanese version at all? Basically, DB, DBZ, and DBGT completely dubbed.
If you do, why?
Let's try to keep it civil.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:03 am

I can honestly tell you, this thread will not stay civil...and is probably not a good idea to have.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:06 am

It honestly would not surprise me in the least.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:07 am

I'm sure every person here has some familiarity with the original Japanese version. That's what the forum/site is supposed to primarily focus on.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:10 am

Why can't people just discuss the dub without it turning into a debate? This topic was created for the purpose of discussion between fans of the dub. There's no reason for people to butt in and cause grief for dub fans. Just my two cents. Carry on!

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:15 am

How many threads have we had recently that ask essentially the same questions? Also, for the person who's bound to ask it, no I don't actually have anything to add to this thread.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

TheNamek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheNamek » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:29 am

I LOVE the dub version because thats what I was shown first at the time I started to like the show.

I have also watched the entire show in Japanese and in English [all 3 'brick season' audio tracks] and I prefer the Dub because I do not speak/understand Japanese and the Dub music was the first i was subjected to.

But as hardcore as I am about the Dub; I will be buying the DragonBozes, because I am above anything else a hardcore DBZ fan.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:11 am

BrollysKin wrote:How many threads have we had recently that ask essentially the same questions? Also, for the person who's bound to ask it, no I don't actually have anything to add to this thread.
Until you die as die hard fan, topics like this will never stop :twisted:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:37 am

I only watch the Funi dub for nostalgia. I have a lot of favorite scenes from that version of the show, and if it would just vanish completely, It'll be like a part of my childhood has died.... :cry:

But I LOVE the Japanese version, it's the way I like to see the Anime. The voices are spectacular, even though most of them are gettin up there in age, they can still belt it out, even today. The music is great, Hironobu Kageyama is the fuckin' man, and I just love the whole damn thing! :D
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:02 pm

Why do I watch the dub? Because that is what Dragonball Z is to me. The music, the voices... that is what I expect to hear when I push "Play." It's also why I can't watch Dragonball (with the exception of Kai) in Japanese, It's just not Dragonball to me. It's also somewhat nostalgic as well, although not near to the level of other people here.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:57 pm

While I don't watch the series dubbed, I do watch the first three movies dubbed (dubbed by The Ocean Group). Whenever I watch those movies, I always watch them dubbed. I guess it's because I prefer hearing it in my own language. Also, I have familiarity with the voices and I enjoy the music (composed by Shunsuke Kikuchi). If the series had been dubbed in English the way the first three movies were, I probably never would've gotten in the Japanese dub.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:50 pm

VenomSymbiote wrote:Why do I watch the dub? Because that is what Dragonball Z is to me. The music, the voices... that is what I expect to hear when I push "Play." It's also why I can't watch Dragonball (with the exception of Kai) in Japanese, It's just not Dragonball to me. It's also somewhat nostalgic as well, although not near to the level of other people here.
I came in here to post this, pretty much. The dub is what I think of when I think of DBZ.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:20 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:While I don't watch the series dubbed, I do watch the first three movies dubbed (dubbed by The Ocean Group). Whenever I watch those movies, I always watch them dubbed. I guess it's because I prefer hearing it in my own language. Also, I have familiarity with the voices and I enjoy the music (composed by Shunsuke Kikuchi). If the series had been dubbed in English the way the first three movies were, I probably never would've gotten in the Japanese dub.
I'm guilty of this, too. I thought the Ocean dub, for at least those three movies, was pretty decent.

I try to switch back and forth between the two tracks, though, since there are voices the Ocean dub just couldn't get right for my tastes (Tenshinhan, Yamcha).

I'm not trying to defend the Ocean dub for the TV series, though. Ugh.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

JamieDBZFan1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by JamieDBZFan1995 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:06 pm

The reason why I love the Dub is like some people here, it's what I grew up on.
23rd October, Dragonball Raging Blast!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:13 pm

I understand the whole, "I grew up with the dub" mentality to a certain extent, but beyond that, it irks me.

I grew up with the Ocean dub. I grew up with Robotech, too, but that doesn't mean I'm going to go back to watching Robotech when a proper Macross dub is available.

I grew up watching Ronin Warriors too, but now that I have the boxet, I watch the Yoroiden Samurai Troopers sides of the DVDs, because while Ronin Warriors, while a fairly good adaptation (better than DBZ's dub, anyway), still isn't the show it was intended. If they redubbed it to fix the names and take out the bogus white armor story that wasn't originally in it, I would be glad.

Nostalgia is fine, but at some point, you improve on it. I wouldn't watch the Ocean dub of DBZ (with the exception of the first three movies), because I know how terrible it is. Regardless of how I grew up watching it, that show isn't really DBZ. What I'm nostalgic for isn't DBZ, it's some weird version that isn't DBZ. So the least I can do is watch DBZ itself.
Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Can I get a Schemen?

Kroni_Hunter
Regular

Post by Kroni_Hunter » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:13 pm

What's with all the fascination of the dub in these forums lately?

Anyways, I watch the dub primarily because that's what I grew up watching. I've seen the original version, and the dub version, but the dub has nostalgic value to me. Any discussion about "what music is better" or "which VAs or better" are irrelevant because they're only subject to opinion. I do think it's important to see the original, however, despite your preferences. It will give you the proper context for which you are seeing the show, and it will allow you to understand the inaccuracies of the dub and not be one of those people who still think Bardock was a brilliant scientist.
"An optimist thinks that this is the best possible world; a pessimest fears that this is true."

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:27 pm

I like the dub because I actually like it. Not from nostalgia, from actually liking it. I like Sabat's Vegeta, Young's Freeza and whoever-the-hell's Fat Buu. I like the stupid jokes, I like the music.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:29 pm

Rocketman wrote:I like the dub because I actually like it. Not from nostalgia, from actually liking it. I like Sabat's Vegeta, Young's Freeza and whoever-the-hell's Fat Buu. I like the stupid jokes, I like the music.
Damn straight. Nostalgia's part of it for me, but I also just enjoy watching it.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:07 pm

I watch both here is when and why :

Japanese subbed :
  • When I'm alone
    When I get the urge to see the original

English :
  • If i'm with friends (this is because they are not really big fans and you can't expect someone new to it to read the subtitles. Plus others read slower and will want it rewound)
    On a media player as I hate straining eyes to see
    If i watch before bed as I like to lay back and watch till I fall asleep

Honestly I don't get the whole dub vs sub debates as IMO does it really matter if one prefers one or the other? They still like dragonball. But the point for me was I just love Dragonball I watch dub or sub depending on how i'm watching.

saiyangerl
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyangerl » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:29 am

I agree, I also enjoy watching the dub. Even after researching online and reading about the differences I just kind of shrugged it off. I like both sets of voices, Ocean and Funi's. Though I have to admit I didn't like Funi's at first, I was a bit resistant and enraged about the change but it was all I had and it grew on me and they got better in my opinion but it was shaky at first. I have watched parts of it in Japanese for comparison for the heck of it and all. The only Japanese voice I really like is Vegeta's.

I did order a fansubbed copy of the fusion movie back in the day, way before its release in the US cause I wanted to see it so bad as well as some other episodes. But I purchased very few fansubs since I was a poor teenager at that time. I don't think I could sit down and watch the entire series in Japanese just cause it's so long. It will be awhile before I sit down and watch the entire series period. I only did that recently cause many years had passed since I'd watched it and I'd never gotten to finish it. Plus I was introducing my fiance to it.

We are now working on GT ever so slowly because life has been busy. We did watch the special that aired last year that takes place 2 years after Buu in Japanese since that's all it's available in. I didn't mind. It would be interesting to see it in English some day. My fiance prefers it in English. Says he doesn't like the high pitched guy voices in Japanese. Now the interesting thing about that is my fiance is half Japanese and was raised in Japan and has only been in the US 4-5 years. :wink:

The reason he never saw DBZ til I showed him is because growing up his parents were very strict. On the other hand, his brother, who still lives in Japan and has seen some of it prefers it in Japanese. And I am part Japanese as well but born and raised in the states and understand a good amount of the language as well yet I prefer the English dub. :wink: However I do like Tenchi Muyo and I think both the original and dub are good and will watch either depending on my mood. So I guess it all goes back to personal preference.

I also don't understand the big debates/arguments with subs vs dubs. I don't think one is better than the other. I think it's just what you prefer. I am open to watching it in Japanese but for the most part I would probably be in the mood to watch it in English.