FUNimation Dragon Box Z #1 (In-Hands) Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:05 am

DBZfan29 wrote:That's what I said. I meant that there are still dub viewers because of all the negative comments.
It was just a bad joke. Don't worry about it.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:39 am

I finally ordered it yesterday from Up1.co.uk, I should have it today, tomorrow or Friday... or if worse comes to worse, next week...?

If it comes this week I'd probably recommend them for other Brits.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:26 am

Has anyone figured out how the spine is going to work? Because the dragon book is also apart of the spine image.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:29 am

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:Has anyone figured out how the spine is going to work? Because the dragon book is also apart of the spine image.
... What are you talking about? You put the cases together, alakazam! A Spine image!

Also, I was RIGHT! My Dragon Box came in the mail, I only ordered it yesterday! If any other Brits are looking to get it right away, order it at Up1.co.uk!!!

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:18 am

Unfortunately mine got posted a week ago and the estimated delivery time is mid January.
Last edited by Sshadow5001 on Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

Teclo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Teclo » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:01 pm

Mine arrived today along with the second volume of One Piece. Annoyingly I got hit with a £15 ($24) tax charge on top of the $70 (approx.) that I paid for the two collections.

One thing that struck me that I don't remember reading about is that the Dragon Book seems like it doesn't really want to be opened... Like if you fully open it, it'll snap in half down the spine. That's about the only negative thing I have to say; I was very impressed by everything else (apart from the odd (?) scattered through the Dragon Book, as mentioned by Mike and others).

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:05 pm

Teclo wrote:One thing that struck me that I don't remember reading about is that the Dragon Book seems like it doesn't really want to be opened... Like if you fully open it, it'll snap in half down the spine.
Noticed that, too. So I try to be really careful with it. I think it's there more to be a collector's piece than for actual everyday reading, so I treat it as such.

I wonder if the original Dragon Book was the same way.

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:06 pm

Teclo wrote:Mine arrived today along with the second volume of One Piece. Annoyingly I got hit with a £15 ($24) tax charge on top of the $70 (approx.) that I paid for the two collections.

One thing that struck me that I don't remember reading about is that the Dragon Book seems like it doesn't really want to be opened... Like if you fully open it, it'll snap in half down the spine. That's about the only negative thing I have to say; I was very impressed by everything else (apart from the odd (?) scattered through the Dragon Book, as mentioned by Mike and others).
I got slapped with a £15 tax thing too for a Dragon Ball DVD... I don't even buy then that often...

My Dragon Book is fine, check the top of bottom for excess glue holding some pages together closer to the spine and scrape them off, it shouldn't be there but they'll come right off.

EDIT: I think I know what you mean, the creeeeaking when you open the book? ignore it, nothing is gonna happen unless you do something clumsy with it.

I'm preparing for my Dragon Box packaging to come apart too, some real glue aughta hold it, not this flour+water concoction they seem to be using... :P

kindertuin
Beyond Newbie

Post by kindertuin » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:19 pm

Mine arrived today!The day DragonBall becomes 25!!!

Got to say the box looks amazing!
I'm watching it in 16:9 and got to say it just looks great on my HD-tv! I'm loving it and i even got a chill from hearing the music for the recap of the previous episode. Man it was nice to hear that again.

Thank you Funimation, thank you!

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Greenman » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:43 pm

kindertuin wrote:Got to say the box looks amazing!
I'm watching it in 16:9 and got to say it just looks great on my HD-tv! I'm loving it and i even got a chill from hearing the music for the recap of the previous episode. Man it was nice to hear that again.
Why? If you're going to watch it in widescreen, I at least hope you're zooming in instead of stretching the picture. Not that cropping it isn't bad either.

Edit: I forgot that some or all of the subtitles might be cut off with zooming. That just makes the choice to use fullscreen even easier. :wink:
Last edited by Greenman on Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:00 pm

We spend all this time waiting and complaining, and then someone goes and watches the domestic Dragon Box in widescreen? But.... Wha.....? Uh......?

...*head asplodes*
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:09 pm

kindertuin wrote: I'm watching it in 16:9 and got to say it just looks great on my HD-tv! I'm loving it and i even got a chill from hearing the music for the recap of the previous episode. Man it was nice to hear that again.

Yes! Fight the power, my friend...

...fight the power. 8)
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

kindertuin
Beyond Newbie

Post by kindertuin » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:30 am

Sorry, but if there is one thing i don't like is watching something with black bars. Then i feel stupid for buying such a big tv...

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:50 am

kindertuin wrote:Sorry, but if there is one thing i don't like is watching something with black bars. Then i feel stupid for buying such a big tv...
My entire life, before HDTVs became mainstream, a 27" 4x3 TV was the standard size for what I played video games and watched movies on. When I was in the market for my first HDTV, I wanted a big enough widescreen monitor, so that when I watched older programming in 4x3, it wouldn't be too small. I ended up with a 37" TV, which when measuring a side-barred picture produced a 27 to 28" picture.

I can't stand stretched pictures.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:19 am

kindertuin wrote:Sorry, but if there is one thing i don't like is watching something with black bars. Then i feel stupid for buying such a big tv...
BUT THAT'S NOT HOW YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO WATCH IT!!

Okay, I got that out of my system now. Please continue.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

kindertuin
Beyond Newbie

Post by kindertuin » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:23 pm

THEN TURN OF THE SUBTITLES, BECAUSE THAT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE ON THERE AS WELL!!!

Sorry for the yelling...

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:48 pm

You're the kind of person that destroys my video releases by being pandered to. Stop that.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:10 pm

kindertuin wrote:
THEN TURN OF THE SUBTITLES, BECAUSE THAT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE ON THERE AS WELL!!!

Sorry for the yelling...
Translation /= changing how the video looks. Stop trying to make false comparisons.
-Laserkid

isucamper

Post by isucamper » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:04 pm

Why are you bothering with the Dragonboxes then? You can get the season sets for a fraction of the price and you can watch it in anamorphic widescreen as opposed to having your TV crop or stretch it.

I'm sorry, but what you are doing doesn't make sense.

Nils_McCloud

Post by Nils_McCloud » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:31 pm

Got it two days ago.

It's awesome. 'nuff said. I really like the color of the footage.

Also if kindertuin likes his video stretched out, why not? Most dvd players even default to doing that (at least the ones I bought), so that means some people must like it.