Sub Question

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

wicked86

Sub Question

Post by wicked86 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:41 am

Are there any sub on the Japanese releases?

I kinda want to get them, but I don't really know if I want to go to the trouble of buying something I can't understand. I guess it would still be nice to have as a collectable regardless of whether or not I can understand it or not.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:18 am

Are there German subs on North American Heroes DVDs?

(The answer is no, because that doesn't make any sense.)
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:20 am

No, there wouldn't be. How many English DVDs have English subtitles? It's designed for the Japanese market, therefore, there wouldn't be subtitles of other languages on it.

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:34 pm

Jon Jon wrote:How many English DVDs have English subtitles?
Most of them I'd imagine. Although I assume this wasn't what you meant to say. :P

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:43 pm

English audio DVDs have subtitles? Since when?

I'm not talking about anime, I'm talking about American movie DVDs and etc.

I'm pretty confident most don't, since it was a topic of discussion in my linguistics class when we learned about the deaf...

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:22 pm

I think most DVDs do have English subtitles though. Like those closed caption subtitle tracks that say "[the door creaks]" or whatever. You know... for deaf people! :D
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Pitzu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pitzu » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:23 pm

All movies have English subtitles in America.

I think it's a law or something.
I own like, 230+ movies, all have it.
[quote="Dub Vegeta"]I am a freaking genius[/quote]

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:11 pm

B wrote:Are there German subs on North American Heroes DVDs?

(The answer is no, because that doesn't make any sense.)

No, but typically there are French and Spanish subtitles for whatever reason. It gets under my skin, too, because that would be a great way to keep my German skills from getting rusty.
Officer Hippoface sez: "I don't take kindly to vigilantes in my town."

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:20 pm

I stand corrected then XD

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:29 pm

Let me read to you all the subtitle tracks from my R2 PAL Dragon Ball Evolution DVD:
  • - English
    - English Text
    - Arabic
    - German
    - German SDH
    - German Text
    - Czech
    - Czech Text
    - Turkish
    - Turkish Text
    - Greek
    - Croatian
    - Romanian
    - Serbian
    - Slovenian
Last edited by SHINOBI-03 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

wicked86

Post by wicked86 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:09 am

Jon Jon wrote:No, there wouldn't be. How many English DVDs have English subtitles? It's designed for the Japanese market, therefore, there wouldn't be subtitles of other languages on it.

Umm...All of my King of the Hill, Family Guy, The Simpsons, etc, have English subtitles as well as spanish....Explain that. Unless this is just in the pic, it also has alittle bit of english writing(I think, I was tired when I looked so don't quote that.)

Either way, I was just asking because it interested me. :roll:

Anyways I guess I might go ahead and get it for collectable purposes.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:25 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:Let me read to you all the subtitle tracks from my R2 Dragon Ball Evolution DVD:
  • - English
    - English Text
    - Arabic
    - German
    - German SDH
    - German Text
    - Czech
    - Czech Text
    - Turkish
    - Turkish Text
    - Greek
    - Croatian
    - Romanian
    - Serbian
    - Slovenian
English subtitles? And German? Hellz yeah! I'm gonna get the R2 of that movie, then! I've never seen it (and don't really want to) but it's got Kappei Yamaguchi playing Gokuh, so I think I'll be able to stand it. Lol.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:47 am

SSJ Helldog wrote:No, but typically there are French and Spanish subtitles for whatever reason.
Mexico and Quebec.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:28 am

Pitzu wrote:All movies have English subtitles in America.

I think it's a law or something.
I own like, 230+ movies, all have it.
Not all. I picked up the Band of Brothers DVD box set some years back, and annoyingly enough it had no subtitles at all.Subtitles make it so much easier to follow what's being said.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:24 am

Rocketman wrote:
SSJ Helldog wrote:No, but typically there are French and Spanish subtitles for whatever reason.
Mexico and Quebec.

So those regions just get our releases of DVDs?
Officer Hippoface sez: "I don't take kindly to vigilantes in my town."

wicked86

Post by wicked86 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:51 am

SSJ Helldog wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
Mexico and Quebec.

So those regions just get our releases of DVDs?
Well Mexico has its own region(4) and...I didn't think to check the other. Don't give me flak for this but Quebec is considered Canada? yes? no? Well, anyways Canada I believe also uses region...1(had to double check). I think most big releases like box sets probably get double regions or something though(db is 1 and 4).

It probably depends on the country, culture, etc, as to whether or not they get their own or a shared release.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:53 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:English subtitles? And German? Hellz yeah! I'm gonna get the R2 of that movie, then! I've never seen it (and don't really want to) but it's got Kappei Yamaguchi playing Gokuh, so I think I'll be able to stand it. Lol.
Hold your horses! It's the Europian R2 release. Not the Japanese R2.

It doesn't have the Japanese dub.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:55 am

We've gone through a couple of R2 anime DVD's in my Japanese class, and they've all had English subs, but I think it is mostly due to the fact that they're all pretty modern. Are English subs becoming more commen in Japan (for anime)? If so, maybe everyone should start saying that "back when they were releasing Dragonball there was no reason to throw English subtitles on the discs", because it's not like Dragonball has a weak/low fan-base in America.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:28 am

wicked86 wrote: Well Mexico has its own region(4) and...I didn't think to check the other. Don't give me flak for this but Quebec is considered Canada? yes? no?
Yes, Quebec is part of Canada. The Spanish sub tracks aren't intended for Mexico, though, but for the large amount of Spanish-speakers in the southern parts of the US. Mexico has it's own releases.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

wicked86

Post by wicked86 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:36 am

Adamant wrote:
wicked86 wrote: Well Mexico has its own region(4) and...I didn't think to check the other. Don't give me flak for this but Quebec is considered Canada? yes? no?
Yes, Quebec is part of Canada. The Spanish sub tracks aren't intended for Mexico, though, but for the large amount of Spanish-speakers in the southern parts of the US. Mexico has it's own releases.
Alright I just get alittle confused since, eh idk, not really big on Canada knowledge.

No no, I know Mexico has its own release, I was just adding that was all....I'm sorry this whole region thing to me honestly. I don't really understand why there needs to be a barrier.