What is your favorite anime Vegeta character design?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

What is your favorite anime Vegeta character design?

Post by Alias » Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:53 pm

We all know of the stages that Vegeta went through during the series, changing drastically in appearance from one saga to another. Here they are...

Vintage Vegeta: Vegeta as we first saw him. He had big, brownish-red hair, short limbs, and would have looked like a little kid if not for the widow's peak.

Vegeta's Arrival on Earth: Upon landing, Vegeta looked a little bit different. His hair was now black, and his face had more lines, making him look a little bit older. His hair still had a puffy, big look.

Vegeta VS Goku: By the time Vegeta's fight with Goku began, he had changed a little. His hair was a bit less like a spiky afro (hehe...) and his limbs were slightly longer.

Oozaru Vegeta: A big, angry, monkey Vegeta...

Freeza Saga Vegeta: Through the Freeza saga, Vegeta continued to change. His hair completely lost the poofy, big look it had once had, becoming very clearly shaped. His limbs continued to grow longer, and his body became more proportionate. He was still very small though, with Kuririn coming up to about his shoulders. He face was incredibly expressive, unique, dramatic... I suppose you can guess which design was my favorite... ^_^

Interim Vegeta: Vegeta from the time he was wished back to life, to episode 124 (where Bulma's feelings for him start to emerge). Here Vegeta rapidly changed, almost completely losing his child-sized body, and becoming more adult looking. He became much taller than Kuririn.

Early Cell Saga Vegeta: He was still a bit on the small side, but had now achieved SSJ, and had a completely different face from what he had had before, becoming sharper edged and less (IMnot-soHO) expressive.

Late Cell Saga: Steroids! What they can do for you! Apparently, Bulma had been giving Vegeta growth hormones, and the little bugger showed it. He had gone from looking like he was no bigger than an 8 year-old, to having muscles on top of muscles. When he fought Cell, he looked like just having one of those muscles pinched would have had him rolling in agony on the ground. Veins bulging, tight bodysuit, and biceps bigger than his head are what best describe this version of Vegeta.

Tenkaichi Budoukai Vegeta: Our little Prince from the beginning of the Buu saga, to his fight on Bibidi's spaceship. Apparently, Vegeta had laid off the steroids for a while, and his muscles had shrunk a bit. He had lost the armor by this point, preferring just the bodysuit. He had a slimmer waist, and a rather limited range of expressions (serious, angry, and suprised).

Majin Vegeta: Back to muscles! Here we get a glimpse of a psychotic Vegeta, veins bulging and a big fat M on his forehead. His hair, oddly, was shorter than before, and his limbs were longer. Later, in his last few episodes, he calmed down and gave one of the best death scenes of the series. ^_^

Vegeta Back From the Underworld: He changed again. Still muscular, but not nearly as much as before. His face became... different. Not quite sure how to describe the changes in this one...

Epilogue Vegeta: The last three episodes of Z... Vegeta's personality had changed drastically by this time, lacking any of his old evil self. His design changed a bit, his face was more peaceful and friendly, and his style of dress had changed (no more bodysuit).

Early GT Vegeta: Somebody hated Vegeta... They chopped off his HAIR! His TRADEMARK! All gone! A flat top? Who the heck came up with that!? A moustache? *gags*

Late GT Vegeta: Almost as bad as before... Vegeta became an old punk. Tight pants, muscle shirts, fingerless gloves, leather jackets... His hair wasn't as... flat as before, gaining a little bit of spike to it. Awful...

Bebi Vegeta: After Bebi took control of Vegeta, the body began to change. His hair became white, and what progressed was one of the ugliest transformations of the series...

GT Oozaru Vegeta: Even his Oozaru design changed... The forearms were bigger than before, and his fur became spikier. His upper body was much bigger than his bottom half.

SSJ 4 Vegeta: Yucko! Red fur, tight pants, red eyeliner... Obviously, some character designer really hated Vegeta (and Goku, for that matter). This one is my least favorite.

I'm rattling these off the top of my head, so don't kill me if there's a mistake or ten. Which design was your favorite? And for that matter, which was your least favorite?

On a side note, has anyone else noticed the way Vegeta sheds bits of his armor from one saga to the next, almost symbolizing him shedding his old, evil identity and bursting forth anew? In each saga, he loses a bit of his old self, and changes slightly for the better. By the end of Z, his only relic of what he once was is his gloves... Interesting...

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:34 pm

Hey, great topic idea. You forgot one Vegeta though, during the Great Saiyaman saga when Vegeta comes out of the gravity machine. He is really short! Probably the shortest he's ever been. Plus his face is almost completly round, and his nose is completly messed up. I'm glad he never looked like that again.

In responce, my favourite form of Vegeta is between his arrival on Earth (Short, poofy haired) and his beefy USSJ form. For the first, it's because his hair actually moves in the wind, instead of acting like it's made of metal (as it does from that point on).

EDIT: Their's one other thing I'd like to add, concerning your comments on the Buu saga Vegeta losing his armor. Your idea's are pretty deep and thoughtful, but I think the more likely answer is that he wasn't wearing armor because he was on his way to the martial arts touranement. Of course armor is against the rules, and he couldn't just run home to get some afterwards. :D

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:55 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:Hey, great topic idea. You forgot one Vegeta though, during the Great Saiyaman saga when Vegeta comes out of the gravity machine. He is really short! Probably the shortest he's ever been. Plus his face is almost completly round, and his nose is completly messed up. I'm glad he never looked like that again.

EDIT: Their's one other thing I'd like to add, concerning your comments on the Buu saga Vegeta losing his armor. Your idea's are pretty deep and thoughtful, but I think the more likely answer is that he wasn't wearing armor because he was on his way to the martial arts touranement. Of course armor is against the rules, and he couldn't just run home to get some afterwards. :D
I'm not counting the little bits in some of the episodes where the animators were... off in designs. Sometimes Vegeta's height fluctuated in each saga, so I'm mostly going for what his averages were.

As for the armor... While it's true that he couldn't bring armor to the Budoukai, the loss of armor still fit in with the general theme of him losing his old self. He still wears his bodysuit in the 26th Budoukai, but doesn't in the 28th Budoukai. In the Saiya-jin saga, he wore full armor. In the first half of the Freeza saga he lost the crotch and side guards, then later lost the shoulder guards. In the Cell saga his armor became slightly more minimal. In the Buu saga he only wore the bodysuit, gloves, and boots. And in the end, he even stopped wearing the bodysuit.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:02 pm

Wow... that's very... detailed.

Freeza Saga Vegeta is my favourite.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:14 pm

I don't really mind the way Vegita looks in any of the DBZ sagas, but I do agree about the awful changes in his appearance in GT! Especially in the beginning with that crew-cut, sports jacket, and moustache! Waah! He looks like he's from a trailer park! :shock:

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:30 pm

I always liked his late-Freeza saga armour and look. Dunno why. Maybe it was because Toriyama had a habit of forgetting, and kept accidently drawing the shoulder pads on when he shouldn't.

It just seemed a bit more practical than the normal Saiyan armour. Less showy. Although I was never sure on the colour of the bodysuit. I thought it was black, but in Budokai it looks dark bluey-purple.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:32 pm

Majin minus the majin. :P

I like SSJ2 Vegeta, but hated that ugly M
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Commander_Red
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Commander_Red » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:20 am

Definately when he arrives on Earth. He has this whole samurai look about him, and I really like that armour he wears. It's like how someone looks really cool if you change their design to wear a cape.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:38 am

Wow, looks like someone's as obsessed with the prince of vegetables as I am ^_^ My favorite look for Vegeta is the Majin look. Maybe because his expression was evil like when he first showed up, yet he looked more attractive than he did during the Saiyan saga.

I guess I didn't really like the early GT Vegeta. I didn't think the mustache was that bad, but the shortened hair just didn't look right at all to me. And even though the leather outfit screamed "mid-life crisis" (though, being about 60 at that point, he should be a bit beyond that), well, he looked good in it, so you won't see me complaining ^o^ (It was probably a case of him being ordered around by Bra....she wore leather too, after all, and if she came home with an outfit and told him to wear it, I don't think he could deny his little princess ^_^)
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:18 am

sailorspazz wrote:
...I don't think he could deny his little princess ^_^
I think it's really funny how soft Vegita is concerning his daughter! Poor man, his whole world was shattered when she told him he looked stupid with his moustache! :lol:

Manga Ka Kyo!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Manga Ka Kyo! » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:35 am

"BAD MAN" Pink shirt and 2nd GT Vegeta!!! But I like them all equally. And don't mock his mighty mustach!!! It's a symbol of hope and freedom!!! For the moon people! 8)
CHA-LA HEAD CHA-LA!!!!!!
http://animekick.50megs.com/

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:12 am

Someone please tell me what colour his late Freeza saga undersuit is, or I WILL cry.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:47 am

It's an indigo colour or in "laymen's" terms, a really, really dark blue. Trust me me on this Liam. You can stop crying now. :wink:

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:24 am

Manga Ka Kyo! wrote:And don't mock his mighty mustach!!! It's a symbol of hope and freedom!!! For the moon people! 8)
The moustache is EVIL! EVIL! It must be burned! *starts gathering firewood and gasoline*
sailorspazz wrote:Wow, looks like someone's as obsessed with the prince of vegetables as I am ^_^

And even though the leather outfit screamed "mid-life crisis" (though, being about 60 at that point, he should be a bit beyond that), well, he looked good in it, so you won't see me complaining ^o^ (It was probably a case of him being ordered around by Bra....she wore leather too, after all, and if she came home with an outfit and told him to wear it, I don't think he could deny his little princess ^_^)
Only a little obsessed... ^_^

It might be a mid-life crisis, since if he hasn't aged much by 60, then Saiya-jins must have a longer lifespan than humans. I also don't see why him and Bulma allow Bra to wear the outfit she does, since it's almost exactly what Soapland(brothel) women in Japan wear. Another one of my many complaints with GT...

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:48 am

Alias wrote:
I also don't see why him and Bulma allow Bra to wear the outfit she does, since it's almost exactly what Soapland(brothel) women in Japan wear.
The first time I saw Bra, I thought she was older then she was because of the way she was dressed. I actually remember way back years ago, when I was just researching DB and didn't know anything yet I saw a still of Vegita carrying her during the Bebi saga and since I didn't yet know he would eventually end up with Buruma, I thought she was maybe some woman he falls in love with! Stupid me! :oops: Ah, the things we assume! :P

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:14 am

Jerseymilk,
Some of the things I assumed when I first saw the series, saw pictures, played games, etc... were also really far off. Read my introduction message on the forum for a few of them...

I have no idea why Bra progressed from cutesy little kid to a barely clothed ditz. She had so much potential too! She could've been an awesome character. With Vegeta's blood and Bulma's brains, she could've been the first truly great female warrior in the series. But instead... *bawls*

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:01 am

Ya it is true, she was really overlooked in GT. And I agree that she was really cute in DBZ. Moreso than Pan, she definitely could have been as skilled a warrior as her brother. Pan, only being 1/4 Saiyajin, couldn't transform, but Bra, being half like Trunks could've. I think it would have been really neat to see.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:17 pm

Being 1/4 Saiyan wasn't what prevented Pan from transforming. If that was true, then Goku and Vegeta Jnr wouldn't have been able to either.

There is a possibility that women couldn't turn Super Saiyan. For whatever reason.

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:00 pm

Poor Saiya-jin girls... It took so little for Goku Jr to go SSJ too... You'd think with all the times Pan got angry, that she would've transformed. Although, IMnot-soHO, I don't think that anyone but Goku should've made the transformation. Once the others started achieving it, the whole concept lost its meaning. Stupid Super Saiya-jin bargain sales... *sobs*

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:20 pm

No see, Goku Jr. can be explained as just one big plothole in my opinion.