Dr. Slump manga licensed + more

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Dr. Slump manga licensed + more

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:58 am

According to Anime News Network, Viz has released a press release saying that they have licensed Toriyama's "Dr.Slump" (May release) as well as the recent "Legendz" (March release) manga.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pressrelease.php?id=741

In addition, Time Comix reports Viz's acquictions of "Hunter x Hunter" (April release) and "Fullmetal Alchemist" (June release).

http://www.time.com/time/columnist/arno ... 25,00.html

Hopefully we will see more Toriyama fans popping up, thus paving the way for the release of "Toriyama's Manga Theater", "Kajika", "Cowa!", etc.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:01 am

Damn it! I just started downloading Dr. Slump, too. I wanted to read it before VIZ aka "we censor a lot more now!" got it.
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:04 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:VIZ aka "we censor a lot more now!"
Damn, I was so happy til you reminded me... :cry:

Frobman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Frobman » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:40 am

Oh well. At least I get to see beyond vol. 2 if it's true.
Fry: Wow. The jungles on Mars look like the jungles on Earth.
Prof. Farnsworth: Jungles? On Earth? ([i]laughs[/i])

Futurama

visit [url]http://uk.geocities.com/amrks@btinternet.com[/url]

Michi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Michi » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:11 am

Bah, I'm still really happy about it and will be supporting the release and buying it. I love what I've read of Dr. Slump. This news is good news to me.

NeverRamza
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeverRamza » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:53 am

I don't think anymore Dr. Slump was going to be translated anytime soon so don't worry too much about it.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:23 am

Yeah, the scanslations only go up to vol. 2, and they've been at that point for a long time now.

Let's just hope Viz doesn't start censoring the series. Dr. Slump can't possibly be funny AND censored at the same time.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:31 pm

From what I've seen, they only did that stuff to the stuff that's in US Shonen Jump. They don't do any censoring of Kenshin, Ranma, or Inuyasha.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:36 pm

No, they just genuinely fuck up with typos and bad translations in all their other, non-SJ titles :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:52 pm

Jeez, so many license news in the past week I can barely keep up. Its nice more of Toriyama's works are coming over here, but with the way Viz/Sheuisha have been presenting some of their manga, is just...oldish...like...old school...geezer-like. This isnt the 90's anymore! :P

I can already see all the BLOOOOOOOP's and PRRRRRRFT's in Slump. :twisted: This is exactly why Viz needs to be independent from Japan's publication giants.

Heritic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Heritic » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:54 pm

I feel excited about this but at the same time I have a feeling of dread. You never know what Viz may do. But since this is a non-SJ manga, the quality should be okay, I hope.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:07 pm

It's still technically a "SJ Manga"(as in the SJ line), it just won't be in the mag (thus vulnerable to censorship and that crap), but rather a straight to GN release, in which most of those releases are fine and dandy, yet there is no telling how the adaption will be handled.

Still, it beats waiting 6 months inbetween full volume releases thats for sure.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:32 pm

I still think Tokyopop and Dark Horse are the better companies. Even though Tokyopop puts out shit titles. How much cine-manga crap do we need? And since when do horrible disney shows fit into the manga genre? Dark Horse puts out their titles perfectly.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:16 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:Even though Tokyopop puts out shit titles.
GTO
Love Hina
Chobits
Ai Yori Aoshi
Ragnarok
Angelic Layer
Sorcerer Hunters
Sailor Moon
Gravitation
Fruits Basket

I'd list more, but this are pretty much the only titles I really liked from what I've read, but they got a lot of good stuff, but most of it is fan favorite/cult hits like Initial D or something... hah I dunno, I don't follow a lot of underated/obsecure/came out of nowhere manga.
Sun_Wukong wrote:How much cine-manga crap do we need? And since when do horrible disney shows fit into the manga genre?
I saw a Family Guy cine-manga once that was pretty cool...but I agree the Disney stuff is way too much, but the whole "manga genre" idea is just the general format of the books. I read in an interview with Jake Forbes who is an editor for Tokyopop that the goal they are trying to accomplish is not make the word "manga" a shallow term or something like that. Thus everything they publish has "Manga" stuck in it somewhere, like...those manga novels (The Slayers for example)! :shock: Theres already enough confusion between manwha and manga >_>

Next they'll copy Viz with the "Ani-Manga" books, but call it "Manganime".
Last edited by Izlude on Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:28 pm

When Disney fits in: An ACTUAL "Monsters, Inc." manga

When it doesn't: "Cine-manga" with movie screenshots.

I don't mind there being manga adaptations of Disney titles, as a matter of fact I find it Interesting. Since Tokyopop is all buddy-buddy with Disney, maybe they'll bring over the "Kingdom Hearts" manga.

Heritic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Heritic » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:26 pm

Izlude wrote:It's still technically a "SJ Manga"(as in the SJ line), it just won't be in the mag (thus vulnerable to censorship and that crap), but rather a straight to GN release, in which most of those releases are fine and dandy, yet there is no telling how the adaption will be handled.
Yeah, GN only releases are great. I think Viz did a pretty good job with Rurouni Kenshin. I don't know about the quality of other GN only titles, since RuroKen is the only one I've read.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:34 pm

Heritic wrote:
Izlude wrote:It's still technically a "SJ Manga"(as in the SJ line), it just won't be in the mag (thus vulnerable to censorship and that crap), but rather a straight to GN release, in which most of those releases are fine and dandy, yet there is no telling how the adaption will be handled.
Yeah, GN only releases are great. I think Viz did a pretty good job with Rurouni Kenshin. I don't know about the quality of other GN only titles, since RuroKen is the only one I've read.
Ranma 1/2 is a good read that is GN only. The only thing bad I hear people say about it is from the purists who are mad thar you read it from left to right like American comics. Actually before last year remember, most of their titles were released in regular comic form before they were in gn mode. As for Tokyopop, the only thing of theirs I read is Love Hina which is pretty good.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:39 am

I can image it now "From the Creator of DBZ"

And so is FMA (The Manga of the anime) and HXH (From the Creator of YYH)
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Michi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Michi » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:24 am

Super Sonic wrote:As for Tokyopop, the only thing of theirs I read is Love Hina which is pretty good.
Too bad their release had misaligned text (sometimes not even in the bubble) and lots of typos. =/ They've gotten better since then, but geez! In their release of Fake the only error I've noticed was that someone else's line was in another person's bubble. x_X;; But otherwise TokyoPop has improved. I just was really upset at that and I'm gonna be selling my Love Hina manga soon. I didn't like Love Hina much anyway.

But at least Viz doesn't make those kinda errors. Their releases look a lot more professional than TokyoPop's to me.

Gouki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gouki » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:24 am

Izlude wrote:[Sailor Moon
Except wasn't the English version of the Sailor Moon manga really shit?

Hurrah for Slump!
... Maybe later.