Dragonball... "Sucks" ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Sat Dec 25, 2004 2:07 pm

Dragon Ball/Naruto similarities

Hero with spiky hair, clad in orange and blue, who is somewhat dense and gets more power when angry
Son Goku vs Naruto

Hero's rival, clad in blue with black spiky hair, thinks he's the shit due to heritage
Vegeta vs Sasuke

Hero with a small white comanion
Tenshinhan & Chouzu vs Kiba & Akamaru

I thought of a lot more a while back but it's Christmas morning and I'm tired.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:23 pm

Plus about a million more. If you watch both series you'll see that:
A. All major Naruto characters have a parallel DB character
B. The series follows the same formula as DB (hero arcs/tournament arcs)
C. The presentation of/reason for the fights is identical (learning new techniques to overcome, having to prove strength, etc.)

I think Dragonball is more effective though, because it actually took time to develop the characters and let us get attached to them. DB didn't really have any "life or death" moments until much later in the series. Naruto just dove right into all the fighting, and has a nasty habit of developing characters on the spot. They like to do things in flashbacks, which gives us an idea that the characters have depth, but we never actually see the developments.

SPOILERS (from Naruto episode 114)

For example, the episode with Chouji's death was pretty lame if you ask me. We see all these flashbacks of Chouji and Shikamaru's past, and this very deep Goku/Kuririn type relationship that they had, but it's all just thrown at us in a matter of minutes. How are we supposed to care about this character and feel sad for his death, when everything we know about him is just thrown in our face at the last minute? It's as if Kishimoto-sensei wants to make another Dragonball, but doesn't want to take the time to fully develop the characters...[/u]

Frobman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Frobman » Sat Dec 25, 2004 6:05 pm

Those kinda things sound like the equations of a Shonen Jump manga. Friendship, development, adventures, etc.
Fry: Wow. The jungles on Mars look like the jungles on Earth.
Prof. Farnsworth: Jungles? On Earth? ([i]laughs[/i])

Futurama

visit [url]http://uk.geocities.com/amrks@btinternet.com[/url]

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Dec 25, 2004 6:28 pm

I am personaly a big big big fan of Dbz and I like Naruto a lot (I have liked Dragonball and Dragonball Z for years hence me prefering it as I have only just go into Naruto) But do you guys not relalise that both Anime's/Manga's are very very similar?

I have a feeling that most people who like Dbz also like Naruto to some extent and vice verca but they are both very very smilar at core. Masashi was a big Akira Toriyama fan, in fact Masashi used to practice drawing Dragonball fan art and it was one of the first mangas he ever read.

So this explanes why there are many similaritys but there are more reasons: for example both are shonen manga/anime (shonen=boy) and almost every shonen manga/anime is about fighting, some use guns, some use robots, and some use different styles of hand to hand combat (i.e Dbz using kung fu and naruto Ninjistiu) but at core it is all about fighting.

The differences between Dbz and Naruto are very simple, not so much Dragonball but Dragonball Z is all about fighters with the capibility to destroy the world, Dbz is about saving the world and wariors proving themself,
Now while I am not very far into Naruto so far it seems that Naruto is all about (slightly) more realistly strengthed fighters who still have a lot of learing to do, in naruto the main characters are not the strongest people in the world/universe but they are just up and comining ninjas with great power stored inside them, to me it seems that Naruto is much more a character driven manga than DBZ and that it is less about saving the world and it focus more on the characters getting stroger and learining.

Both are very good and both are great fun to read and watch, unfortunatly both are taken way to seriosly and are treated as magnificent deep works of art as aposed to the fun fighting manga/anime they are. Dbz does not suck, Naruto does not suck, people arguing over which is better does suck however. Enjoy the shows/books you like and do not attack the ones you don't as both Dbz and naruto are so similar Saying one sucks is just like saying the other is bad, stop the arguing and just enjoy.

(Meh, that was a bad speech)
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:15 pm

Naruto manga > Naruto anime

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:00 pm

Mizugi wrote:Naruto manga > Naruto anime
Watch out, EX might get on your case for saying that!
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:47 am

The anime takes WAAAAAYYYY too long to get anything done. Plus the animation was beautiful the first few episodes, but lately it's been kinda bleh since it seems they're rushing.

The manga also has more "punch," in a way. For example, Zabuza's finishing off of Gato was a lot more dramatic in the manga. Another example was when Shikamaru was facing off against what's-her-face (the Sound Ninja) in the Chuunin Selection Exam. When he finished her off in the manga, I was like "OH! HOLY CRAP THAT HAD TO HURT!!" I was all excited to see it in the anime and it was just kinda "Meh, that's it? That didn't look that cool."

On the other hand, I prefer the Dragon Ball anime over the manga. There's SO MUCH motion in those fights seeing them animated is really the way to go.

Gouki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gouki » Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:12 am

Same with Dragonball. The manga is superior to the anime.
... Maybe later.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:35 am

Also there's those people who hate something as soon as it becomes mainstream like DB has.
That's basically what it comes down to. Most US Japanese animation fans are just trying to be on the outside and be 'independent' by liking that which isn't mainstream.

What I find even funnier is that a chunk of doing so makes them 'more Japanese'.

That is too funny.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:42 am

I would speak on it but well...it's already been done, far better than I can by those who have already posted, as well as done in defense of Dragon Ball and Son of In defense of dragonball.

I think all DBZ fans should read the critique of the generic DBZ "Review" - worth a laugh as well as points against morons.

Just to say it - thanks to the Daizenshuu EX links for showing me those in the first place quite some time ago.
-Laserkid

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:02 am

Mizugi wrote:The anime takes WAAAAAYYYY too long to get anything done. Plus the animation was beautiful the first few episodes, but lately it's been kinda bleh since it seems they're rushing.

The manga also has more "punch," in a way. For example, Zabuza's finishing off of Gato was a lot more dramatic in the manga. Another example was when Shikamaru was facing off against what's-her-face (the Sound Ninja) in the Chuunin Selection Exam. When he finished her off in the manga, I was like "OH! HOLY CRAP THAT HAD TO HURT!!" I was all excited to see it in the anime and it was just kinda "Meh, that's it? That didn't look that cool."

On the other hand, I prefer the Dragon Ball anime over the manga. There's SO MUCH motion in those fights seeing them animated is really the way to go.
LOL, I meant for doing the [thing A]>[thing B]
I agree, the Naruto manga>Naruto anime
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:57 pm

Oh, that! I thought he just hated that when it referred to Power Levels. I apologize.

oponok
Beyond Newbie

Post by oponok » Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:00 pm

I despise hearing people claim that Dragonball has "no story." Dragonball has a story: an excellent story that, however, is balanced with the best character development EVER. The anime and manga are rich with characters that change (realistically and compellingly) over time and drive the story on their own terms, rather than being driven by a forced, convoluted plot that makes for moments where characters say or do random things.

I'm guessing that many of the people who hate Dragonball just watched one or two episodes of the Goku/Freeza battle when it first started airing on Cartoon Network and rationaliized that it was crap. Yes, it's not at all like the swiftly-paced, never wandering, contemporary animes popular with "Hardcore Anime Fans," such as Witch Hunter Robin.
"In fact, the United States Alf Fanfiction Department has issued notices offering high paying jobs for more Alf fanfiction, which they believe could immediately resolve countless global issues such as world hunger."

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:51 pm

I agree there, the long long winded Freeze vs. Son Goku is about as bad a first introduction as you can get to the series. The cutting up of the story in the dub, and all the filler doesn't help much either.

If anything I'd try converting them with the original DB, which should/could win many a heart with it's funny nature, stronger emphasis on plot, and more fast and furious fights without several minute attack charge-ups. ^.^;; Providing they never were DB fans to begin with, if they once were, it'd be worth a shot to try and remind them that it likely is just that series that got them into anime.

'lo Legends
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 'lo Legends » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:16 am

I'm pretty sure the reason the Freeza battle is so long, is because it was intended to be the FINAL battle. Except, the people at Shueisha said...

"Hey, Toriyama, why don't you continue doing this for a few more years even though you have set up the most perfect ending the series could ever hope to achieve?"

Not that it was all bad, though. Some good characters came out of the story arcs that were to follow (Trunks, Buu).
Random Fact: "If Freeza used a watering can on Piccolo, he would turn into a tree. FACT."

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:23 pm

That and the fact that poor Toriyama couldn't even keep up with the TV series, so they just streeeee~tched the battle while poor Toriyama-san drew away like there was no tomorrow.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:15 am

Actually, the manga was ahead of the anime, as far as I know. But perhaps it wasn't too ahead, thus leading to all the filler.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Fuujin » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:22 pm

*PINHEAD* wrote:Actually, the manga was ahead of the anime, as far as I know.
It had to be. I think it takes about half a year to produce a whole episode.
It's party time, Ginyu style!

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:28 pm

I don't really think they started making episodes a hundred years ago, so I can safely say that calculation is a wee bit off, Fuujin.
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Fuujin » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:51 pm

No, I mean, uh... The gap between starting and finishing an episode is about half a year, because it's so complex, but they can still make multiple episodes at the same time. Let's say, a writer finishes writing the script, he passes it on, and starts working on another, but that doesn't mean it's all finished. Right. I hope that makes sense.
It's party time, Ginyu style!