DVD or Blu-ray

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

zeldarocks

DVD or Blu-ray

Post by zeldarocks » Sun May 09, 2010 1:13 am

I'm going to be placing an order on Rightstuf over the next few days and i was wondering, is the DVD on par in terms of overall quality with the Blu-ray edition? I'll more than likely end up getting the DVD release, given the fact that I don't have a Blu-ray player... I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything, and I want to get my facts straight.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: DVD or Blu-ray

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sun May 09, 2010 1:35 am

Here's a quality comparison taken from The Fanboy Review.

Mod Edit- Leech your own bandwidth

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sun May 09, 2010 1:37 am

zeldarocks wrote:I'm going to be placing an order on Rightstuf over the next few days and i was wondering, is the DVD on par in terms of overall quality with the Blu-ray edition? I'll more than likely end up getting the DVD release, given the fact that I don't have a Blu-ray player... I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything, and I want to get my facts straight.
DBKai was made specifically to be remastered in High Definition, so Kai on Blu-ray is that HD version.

The difference is actually kinda big.

DVD is 480
BD is 1080

It's more than double the resolution. I don't see the point in buying Kai on DVD at all to be honest. It was made for the HD format, it should be bought and viewed in HD.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Sun May 09, 2010 1:40 am

I got the DVD and I'd say stick with that.

It looks great and nothing looks washed out, not to mention you'll be able to watch it on your gaming system, computer, or what have you, and not have to be committed to a blu-ray player.

The most your missing out on is better menus.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sun May 09, 2010 4:33 am

ohaimynameiserik wrote:The most your missing out on is better menus.
And... uuuh... a Much higher resolution?...
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun May 09, 2010 4:56 am

The only reason Kai is on DVD at all is because the format is still very popular. It was intended for Blu-Ray, so just get it on that.

EricM
Beyond Newbie

Post by EricM » Sun May 09, 2010 5:52 am

Not much difference with the early episodes, but the HD quality improves as the series goes on. By end you'll definitely want it in HD. Having part of the show in DVD will looks stupid on your shelf. :lol:
Grain is beautiful.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun May 09, 2010 6:41 am

I don't have HDMI cable, a computer with a Bluray player, or an actual bluray player.

So I'm gonna get both.

Treklin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Treklin » Sun May 09, 2010 7:47 am

DB Kai is not remastered in HD ...

the only TrueHD on Kai are the intro, outro, eyecatches, and the re-animated scenes the other stuff is not real HD ...

But nevertheless, I bought the Blu-ray! My first Blu-ray is DBK and my first DVD was (i think) Matrix ... and my first VHS was Lion King
The word "KAI" means in the old North Germanic language Frisian "Kämpfer engl. Fighter" respectively "Krieger engl. Warrior"!

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Sun May 09, 2010 8:37 am

Treklin wrote:DB Kai is not remastered in HD ...

the only TrueHD on Kai are the intro, outro, eyecatches, and the re-animated scenes the other stuff is not real HD ...

But nevertheless, I bought the Blu-ray! My first Blu-ray is DBK and my first DVD was (i think) Matrix ... and my first VHS was Lion King
It is re-mastered in HD technically, HD refers to the size of the picture not its quality. The resolution of the picture will be 1080P or 1920 x 1080, so it will be extremely sharp and clear.

Of course this is also a double edged sword in that you can also see every bad spot with every good spot. :D

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun May 09, 2010 12:10 pm

Technically, my first Blu-Ray was the special features disc in my PS3 version of my Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe Kollector's Edition, but that's besides the point.

My only Blu-Ray player is in my room (the PS3), where there is no HDTV, so the point would be moot anyways. I just went with the DVD. For now, at least. Always room to change formats in the distant future.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sun May 09, 2010 11:16 pm

Mewzard wrote:Technically, my first Blu-Ray was the special features disc in my PS3 version of my Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe Kollector's Edition, but that's besides the point.

My only Blu-Ray player is in my room (the PS3), where there is no HDTV, so the point would be moot anyways. I just went with the DVD. For now, at least. Always room to change formats in the distant future.
An extra $5 now beats dropping and extra $35 down the road, don'tcha think? :\

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Sun May 09, 2010 11:20 pm

DemonRin wrote:
Yeah, not really.

A cartoon from the 80's without much detail in the animation to begin with won't look that much better in 1080p.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun May 09, 2010 11:27 pm

ohaimynameiserik wrote:
DemonRin wrote:
Yeah, not really.

A cartoon from the 80's without much detail in the animation to begin with won't look that much better in 1080p.
You should see the Zeta Gundam Blu-Rays, then. Absolutely beautiful footage.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun May 09, 2010 11:29 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:
Mewzard wrote:Technically, my first Blu-Ray was the special features disc in my PS3 version of my Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe Kollector's Edition, but that's besides the point.

An extra $5 now beats dropping and extra $35 down the road, don'tcha think? :\
It's more hassle to use the PS3 as a player in any case. And by the time I do convert, season sets will probably be out, lol.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

zeldarocks

Post by zeldarocks » Mon May 10, 2010 1:19 am

Would it be recommended to fork down the money now, or wait 'till the --inevitable-- release of the season sets?

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Mon May 10, 2010 2:22 am

penguintruth wrote:You should see the Zeta Gundam Blu-Rays, then. Absolutely beautiful footage.
Whatever the case may be with that series, the Dragon Ball blu-rays do not impress me. At least, not enough to pay more money for the same product only with the brightness turned up.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Mon May 10, 2010 2:58 am

penguintruth wrote: You should see the Zeta Gundam Blu-Rays, then. Absolutely beautiful footage.
Zeta Gundam was a show with a decent budget, and was made by a crew that had a specific endpoint. It is a very different kind of animation than DBZ.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Mon May 10, 2010 4:02 am

Are the aspect ratios the same as the Japanese release?

DVD = 16:9
Blue-ray = 4:3

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Mon May 10, 2010 4:31 am

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:Are the aspect ratios the same as the Japanese release?

DVD = 16:9
Blue-ray = 4:3
No, in fact, they skipped Blu-ray and went to Super Red Ray and it is 22:9.

It is discussed at length in other threads.

Maybe spend 1 minute on the forum or Google before asking a question.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.