Filler Guide (General + Inconsistencies)

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:13 pm

Wow, I never knew that.

I think that little tidbit belongs in the Cell's Transformations section. Maybe both, I don't know...

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:02 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:I just noticed something from the Cell saga, something that hasn't already been brought up. I'm not sure if it would be inconsistency or what, but in the manga Cell's first 'imperfect' form had only 3 fingers per hand. However in the anime he had 5. It might be worth mentioning somewhere.
It's the same with Namekians, except they have four fingers in the manga and five in the anime. There is one panel where Goku fights Piccolo (I think in vol. 13) and an extra finger suddenly appears (and Viz ever-so-subtly points it out with an arrow and commentary), but other than that, he and other Namekians are only supposed to have 4 fingers. The likely reason for both of these finger number-changes is to make it less likely for the animators to screw up.

Or something. :?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:28 am

I think I remember someone writing to Viz and asking them the same question concerning Piccolo. They said it was something to do with the fact that it was easier for the animators to draw everyone with five fingers, instead of having to remember to draw four whenever it came to Piccolo and that it would've slowed down production.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:38 am

I was just thinking, you could add a third section to the filler guide, "Filler that contradicts other filler"

For instance, consider how the Barddock television special contradicted the Freeza saga filler segments. King Vegeta's insurection supposedly being the cause of Freeza destroying planet Vegeta, and not Bardock. Or how Vegeta was supposedly onboard Freeza's ship at the time, and not out conquering that planet.

It's one thing when they create something that would be later proven false by later story segments, but to create conflicting filler scenes on their own? Toei should've been playing closer attention.

Another filler thing comes to mind; during the Trunks saga when Vegeta is showering, they show him having scars all over his shoulders and chest, which all mysteriously dissapear during the Boo saga.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:53 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:and Viz ever-so-subtly points it out with an arrow and commentary
Viz? It was in the original, wasn't it? I know it was in the danish manga.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:29 am

Adamant wrote:
SaiyaJedi wrote:and Viz ever-so-subtly points it out with an arrow and commentary
Viz? It was in the original, wasn't it? I know it was in the danish manga.
Hmm... I guess you're right. Looking now at chapter 155 in Kanzenban volume 11, there's definitely commentary in Japanese that says "Yubi ga ippon fuechatta" ("he grew another finger"). But to be fair, I didn't have access to the book at the time I made that post. So there. :?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:31 am

TripleRach wrote:I've thought of another manga/anime inconsistency: Tenshinhan using Mafuuba. They have him use it on Drum in the anime, to extend the fight and prolong Gokuu's arrival. Problem is, people who use Mafuuba are supposed to, uh, die...
In the anime, after Tien fails to seal away Drum (because Piccolo blasts away the Denshi jar) Tien wonders why he didn't die. Piccolo explains that when using the mafuuba, you can only die if you actually manage to seal the individual you're using it on into the jar. Otherwise, besides being drained of energy, you're fine. This also explains how someone could practice the mafuuba without dropping dead :P

Still, that brings up another point - how exactly would Piccolo know about something like that? I mean, it's not like Mutashio or Roshi stopped and explained the technical details of the move before they used it on him. I guess that having it used on you twice just magically gives you complete insight into it's specifics :P
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:17 am

Hold on a second; if a failed Mafuba doesn't kill the user, then why did Roshi die after failing to seal Piccolo?

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:03 am

I believe Roshi used it to its full extent although he missed. Tien didn't. Also in the manga he doesn't get the chance to use it, because the Denshi Jar was cracked.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:45 am

Hmm.... I just assumed that it depended on your strength and the strength of the demon your sealing away, neither Mutaito or Roshi stood a chance in a real battle against Daimao... therefore it used enough power to kill them. But Tenshinhan was stronger than Roshi and Drum was much weaker than Daimao. Therefore Tenshinhan didn't need nearly as much energy to try and seal Drum.

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:48 pm

SaiyamanMS wrote:Hmm.... I just assumed that it depended on your strength and the strength of the demon your sealing away, neither Mutaito or Roshi stood a chance in a real battle against Daimao... therefore it used enough power to kill them. But Tenshinhan was stronger than Roshi and Drum was much weaker than Daimao. Therefore Tenshinhan didn't need nearly as much energy to try and seal Drum.
But Tien didn't stand a real chance in a fight against Drum either. As far as I remember it, Tien only landed one or two hits, and even those were pretty ineffective.

By the way, is there some sort of 'Anit-Viz Spelling' program running on this site? I say 'T ien' (only without the space) and when I post it automatically changes to Tenshinhan.
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:25 pm

By the way, is there some sort of 'Anit-Viz Spelling' program running on this site? I say 'T ien' (only without the space) and when I post it automatically changes to Tenshinhan.
How can it be "anti-Viz" if Viz uses the spelling of "Tenshinhan"? :wink:

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:53 pm

Domon wrote:
How can it be "anti-Viz" if Viz uses the spelling of "Tenshinhan"? :wink:
Does it? it's been so long since I've looked at any of their manga, my mistake :P

So let me rephrase - is there some sort of 'Anti-Tien' program :P ? Or just words that are automatically replaced in general?

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:36 pm

Yep. Words like "Ti en," "Herc ule" and "Fri eza" are automatically changed. Why? Because those aren't their names! :D

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:37 pm

tealsmith wrote: So let me rephrase - is there some sort of 'Anti-Tenshinhan' program :P ? Or just words that are automatically replaced in general?
Yes, the forum censors words that are not, in any way, correct spellings of a character's name.

In addition to Ti-en, the names Her-cule, Pik-kon and Go-kou are censored. Probably some others as well.