Fonts used in the DB manga?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Fonts used in the DB manga?

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:29 pm

I know this is a little weird-sounding, but I was wondering if people here could help me with a pet project. I'm trying to figure out exactly what fonts Shueisha used in the DB manga. This may be a bit difficult to do, but I do at least have it narrowed down a bit. Here's what I've got so far (note that it doesn't cover what is obviously drawn by the author):
  • The covers:
    • The main logo in both the original and kanzenban versions is an ultra-condensed, ultra-bold font that looks like a cross between Impact and Haettenschweiler (with the nice looks of the former and the "r" shape of the latter). It's also a little more square than both. I've seen it in countless other places, on English-language materials (for example, the "author" line on Viz's Shonen Jump graphic novels), so I know it must exist as its own entity... I'm just not sure what it's called or how to get it.
    • On the original tankoubon, the rest of the text is in a kanteiryuu (brush stroke style) font. I haven't got exactly the same thing, but it's close enough.
    • In the kanzenban, all other text is in a heavy kaku gothic (hard-cornered sans-serif) font. No problem there.
    The text:
    • Chapter titles (along with early narration, and extremely frightened or severely-injured lines) are in a kouin (artificially aged-style) font, with the added complication of kanji (though in modern form) having vague attributes of the more-exotic tensho (seal script) style. Don't have anything like this.
    • Standard dialogue is written in a run-of-the-mill minchou ("serif") font, except that all Kanji are still in kaku (sans-serif) form, presumably for easier reading. It is used in a slightly heavier weight when a character is yelling but not screaming. No problem here.
    • Dialogue that is screamed at the top of a character's lungs is written in a very heavy-weight kaku gothic font. Fine there.
    • Thoughts outside of thought bubbles (as well as later narration) are in a maru gothic (rounded sans-serif) font. That's fine, too... mine's close enough.
    • Thoughts within thought bubbles are in a kyoukasho (textbook-style block script) font. I've got something close, but not quite the same.
    • Telepathic communication is in a specialized font, not quite like anything I can think of offhand in English. The phrase "art deco" comes to mind, but I'm not quite sure why.
    • More primitive robots (such as the ones at Capsule Corp.) speak in very thin, angular, kana-only fashion. Don't know if this typeface has any particular name. And finally...
    • Babidi's speech is in a reisho (old-fashioned clerical script) style. I've got something reasonably close.
So... anybody wanna help me out with this? :)
Last edited by SaiyaJedi on Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:50 pm

That's great! I've been wondering this for a quite a while! Thanks for th ino you provided, but I must ask:

Where can we get these fonts?

And... Are they Japanese only fonts? [for the manga text, I mean]

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:52 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:That's great! I've been wondering this for a quite a while! Thanks for th ino you provided, but I must ask:

Where can we get these fonts?
Mac OS X comes with several fonts in several weights each: a Maru, Kaku, and Mincho. (and also Osaka, which kinda... sucks.) If you've got a Windows machine, there's Microsoft Mincho and [kaku] Gothic; don't know about any others.

As for my own computer, I, uh... "came into the possession" of a number of typefaces from DynaFont, including a Reisho, Gyousho (semi-cursive), Kyoukasho, and Kanteiryuu. I also have a number of free fonts that I've collected from across the internet. Unfortunately, the majority of Japanese kanji fonts are pricey, order-in-packs affairs, because of the amount of work that goes into them. There are free fonts out there, although they usually don't have as many characters (and may not have as many kanji) as professional ones. Some good sites with free fonts:
  • Teardrops in Aquablue: Home of AquaFont, very nice handwritten-style one.
  • Elena: Another nice handwriting-style.
  • idfont: A number of good-looking, stylized fonts. that are quite enjoyable.
  • This site also lists a number of other free fonts for the downloading, although I haven't checked most of them out.
And... Are they Japanese only fonts? [for the manga text, I mean]
Japanese-language almost always come with Latin alphabet capability. However, they do not always look similar to their Japanese-script counterparts. So... assuming Shueisha's fonts exist outside shueisha, then probably.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。