Movies fitting into the timeline

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Movies fitting into the timeline

Post by MetalMadness » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:17 pm

I know that the Movies are considered not canon, but I thought it would be interesting to discuss which movies could actually fit in the Timeline without contradictions, and which are simple "re-tellings."

Movie 9 fits nicely into the Timeline, doesn't it?

penguintruth
Banned

Re: Movies fitting into the timeline

Post by penguintruth » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:22 pm

Movie 9 and maybe movie 13 if you reason that the closing credits with Future Trunks using his sword is only intended to show that now this timeline's version has a sword and not that the events of this movie is where Future Trunks got his.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:23 pm

I think Movie 5 fits if you're willing to ignore Goku not transforming right away, and definitely Movie 13.

And Movie 7 can fit in the timeline that Trunks from Cell's timeline went to.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:26 pm

Movies 9 and 13 are the only ones that fit in without a hitch.

But a few of them are only one qualifier away from working. Such as Movie 1 (if Kuririn hadn't met Gohan) and Movie 5 (if Goku hadn't struggled with Super Saiyan).

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:36 pm

I thought the reason why movie 5 didn't happen was more because Hiyaa Dragon, who comes from a movie that couldn't possibly have happened.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:56 pm

penguintruth wrote:I thought the reason why movie 5 didn't happen was more because Hiyaa Dragon, who comes from a movie that couldn't possibly have happened.
But he shows up in the series as well, and I certainly don't watch those scenes and think, "Holy shit! We're suddenly viewing an alternate universe!"

Just attribute it a different origin. Gohan found a dragon; it's not unlikely. Meanwhile, Goku not being able to access Super Saiyan, when we specifically know he can in the only time frame this movie could take place in, is something of a large discrepancy. Oh, and so is Piccolo not living with them and running away into the woods. I guess it has a few things wrong with it.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:08 pm

Cipher wrote:
penguintruth wrote:I thought the reason why movie 5 didn't happen was more because Hiyaa Dragon, who comes from a movie that couldn't possibly have happened.
But he shows up in the series as well, and I certainly don't watch those scenes and think, "Holy shit! We're suddenly viewing an alternate universe!"
I do, since he only appears in the Garlic Junior filler arc, which is also something that could not have happened.
Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Can I get a Schemen?

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:17 pm

penguintruth wrote:I do, since he only appears in the Garlic Junior filler arc, which is also something that could not have happened.
Driving episode and, I'm fairly certain, a few other random cameos as well.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:23 pm

I guess you have a point. But only in filler material, right?

We'd also have to get into why Vegeta never shows up in movie 5. Surely he would have detected Coola's ki and come to fight. Maybe he was off in space training?

Can I get a Schemen?

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:02 am

The whole "super saiyan at the last moment" thing I think is done just for dramatic effect, so that the fight lasts longer, not because they just can't access it.

I mean Gohan took his sweet time going SSJ2 against Bojack in Movie 9.

I also believe Movie 5 could have taken place during the 3 year period before the Android arrival.
Vegeta could have been off training in space, and in that time period Gohan could have more than likely been able to grow his tail back.
The fact that Cooler doesn't know that Trunks killed Frieza and his father could simply be because Trunks killed all of Frieza's men, so no message of the true deaths could be broadcasted.

Either that, or Movie 5 took place in Trunks' timeline where Goku actually did kill them when they came to Earth.

What about Movie 8? I know the whole "Gohan and Goku aren't Super Saiyan" creates contradictions, but couldn't they have just briefly powered down for a day?

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:12 am

MetalMadness wrote:What about Movie 8? I know the whole "Gohan and Goku aren't Super Saiyan" creates contradictions, but couldn't they have just briefly powered down for a day?
No, that was the entire point of their training, to never power down.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:13 am

He couldn't control it then. He'd only used it once at the Cell Games, after exploding with rage.

Compare this to Goku who tells Trunks on no uncertain terms that, although he struggled with it at first, he can now go Super Saiyan at will.
Either that, or Movie 5 took place in Trunks' timeline where Goku actually did kill them when they came to Earth.
Now this actually works fairly well. It explains the lack of references to King Cold and Trunks, the fact that the characters don't appear to be training for anything, and maybe even Goku's lack of Super Saiyan ability. I'd give you this.
What about Movie 8? I know the whole "Gohan and Goku aren't Super Saiyan" creates contradictions, but couldn't they have just briefly powered down for a day?
I think the main objection there is that it just seems ... really stupid. Also, a lot of people would have to really not give a fuck about the impending danger of Cell in order for that to work.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:18 am

Cipher wrote:
He couldn't control it then. He'd only used it once at the Cell Games, after exploding with rage.
Twice. He also used it when Cell returned and "hurt Trunks pretty badly and I never knew if he was going to make it or not". :P
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:32 am

Cipher wrote:
I think the main objection there is that it just seems ... really stupid. Also, a lot of people would have to really not give a fuck about the impending danger of Cell in order for that to work.
Maybe this one takes place in the first alternate timeline Trunks created. The one where he finds the blueprints and uses them in his time to shut down the Androids, which then leads to Cell killing him and stealing his time machine. The movie would just assume that the Androids had been shut down by a remote (or something) and that Trunks hasn't returned to his time yet. There wouldn't be a Cell in this timeline, so it might fit.

Considering how poorly I remember the movies, there could well be a detail I'm forgetting that spoils the above theory. Oh...wait...Gohan can go Super Saiyan in movie 8, can't he? And did Trunks have long hair? Damn you, movies!
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:34 am

I used to try desperately to justify the movies into continuity, but now I just sort of tell myself it's an alternate universe (and not necessarily the same alternate universe in each movie). I shouldn't even have to say that, though, I should just enjoy them as-is. It's a sickness, I guess. :lol:

Can I get a Schemen?

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:41 am

Bussani wrote:Considering how poorly I remember the movies, there could well be a detail I'm forgetting that spoils the above theory. Oh...wait...Gohan can go Super Saiyan in movie 8, can't he? And did Trunks have long hair? Damn you, movies!
Yeah. The characters have definitely been through the ROSAT.

Basically, each movie runs as if the main villain at whatever point it takes place at has been quietly defeated without casualty. So if you really want to define their universes:

Movie 2 and 3 - Goku handily defeated Vegeta on Earth.
Movie 4 - Freeza defeated by someone (Piccolo?), everyone comes back to Earth.
Movie 6 - Androids defeated by Piccolo sets this up nicely.

And so on and so on. But really they're just little side-stories, with 9 and 13 happening to fit in without discrepancies.
Last edited by Cipher on Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:42 am

penguintruth wrote:I used to try desperately to justify the movies into continuity, but now I just sort of tell myself it's an alternate universe (and not necessarily the same alternate universe in each movie). I shouldn't even have to say that, though, I should just enjoy them as-is. It's a sickness, I guess. :lol:
Somebody composed a VERY enjoyable alternative movie time line chronology a long time ago. I had saved it then lost it. I really enjoyed it so if somebody could...erm...find it for me I would be very grateful.

(Yeah I'm sorry for asking for the same thing over and over I just suck at finding threads on my own.)

Edit: Hurray, never mind! I found it all by myself. I'm a big boy now.

Double Edit: I suppose it would help if I posted it huh? Check out page 2.

http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8773
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:05 am

Bussani wrote:
Cipher wrote:
Maybe this one takes place in the first alternate timeline Trunks created. The one where he finds the blueprints and uses them in his time to shut down the Androids, which then leads to Cell killing him and stealing his time machine. The movie would just assume that the Androids had been shut down by a remote (or something) and that Trunks hasn't returned to his time yet. There wouldn't be a Cell in this timeline, so it might fit.

Considering how poorly I remember the movies, there could well be a detail I'm forgetting that spoils the above theory. Oh...wait...Gohan can go Super Saiyan in movie 8, can't he? And did Trunks have long hair? Damn you, movies!
Movie 7 works under that premise, though, as it can only occur in a timeline visited by Trunks but not Cell, since two criterion need to be met: A) Trunks saving Goku means Gero gets turned into #20. #20 being destroyed means the computer in the sub-basement gets to work on upgrading #13, #14 and #15. B) Cell not being there means the sub-basement doesn't get destroyed by Krillin and Trunks prior to #13, #14 and #15's reactivation.

Thus, movie 7 works perfectly only in the unseen timeline created by the original Trunks, as only it and the series timeline has the events leading to their activation started, but the series timeline has their activation impeded, while movie 7's doesn't.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

mysticboy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mysticboy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:13 am

5, 8, 9.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:21 am

penguintruth wrote:Movie 9 and maybe movie 13 if you reason that the closing credits with Future Trunks using his sword is only intended to show that now this timeline's version has a sword and not that the events of this movie is where Future Trunks got his.
Movie 13 doesn`t fit in my view because it makes SSJ 3 Goku more powerful than Mystic Gohan, when he should be much weaker. Also, Gotenks defuses because of a punch (what the hell...?). And Piccolo doesn`t show up, I think, which doesn`t make sense.

Movie 9 is the only one who fits without any leap in logic, assuming that Future Trunks came back to the past for a visit after defeating the Androids and Cell in his Timeline, like he was planning to.