DragonBox VS FUNi DVD Final debate...

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

DragonBox VS FUNi DVD Final debate...

Post by SonGokuGT » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:32 am

As EX has stated, the quality issue is up to our own taste. Now, I went into Ash's website and saw his comparison, I'd just like to hear your thoughs on this issue now that we have something that we can judge. Ash, Why didn't you bring this up back when we had these discussions? :)

http://www.dragonball-benelux.com/Featu ... pare08.jpg

It seems to me FUNi's DVD's are grainy but with more color vivrancy, Toei's have duller colors but the picture quality seems crystal clear. This truely is a matter of opinion:

My verdict = DragonBox

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:23 am

Because I forgot there was such a article on the site? ^_~

And just to make it clear, it's not my site, I just used to write bits' 'n pieces for DBB, stopped a couple of months ago because of school etc. :)

That article about the DBZ box is written by DBTM of the Dragon Ball Benelux staff btw.

And no, you can't direct link to the server ;)
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:48 am

Yeah, it really is up to the viewer and what they want to watch and do with the footage. If I want it to look bright and have subtitles, I'll obviously go with FUNimation's.

For the purposes of music videos, I can clean up colors (brightness / contrast / saturation / etc.) waaaay more than I can grain. There's only so much you can do with a poor bitrate. Progressive footage that only needs its colors fixed... ooooooooooooooh man, what a dream it is to work with.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DBW
Regular

Re: DragonBox VS FUNi DVD Final debate...

Post by DBW » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:19 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:Toei's have duller colors
If I want it to look bright...I'll obviously go with FUNimation's.
I know the screen-caps look dull and everything, but believe me, as someone who used to own lots of FUNi DVDs, there is *no comparison*
The colours on the Dragon Box sets are brighter, richer, deeper, and just all around amazing. I'll give my full opinion on this topic a little later...

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:42 pm

DBW wrote:
SonGokuGT wrote:Toei's have duller colors
If I want it to look bright...I'll obviously go with FUNimation's.
I know the screen-caps look dull and everything, but believe me, as someone who used to own lots of FUNi DVDs, there is *no comparison*
The colours on the Dragon Box sets are brighter, richer, deeper, and just all around amazing. I'll give my full opinion on this topic a little later...
Agreed. I did a side-by-side comparision of the Trunks discs and the Majin Buu: Atonement disc, and the DragonBox looked *so* much better.

It really has to be seen in motion, on a properly calibrated television, to be believed.

-Corey

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:09 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote: Agreed. I did a side-by-side comparision of the Trunks discs and the Majin Buu: Atonement disc, and the DragonBox looked *so* much better.

It really has to be seen in motion, on a properly calibrated television, to be believed.

-Corey
...must...resist...temptation...have...no money... [just got plama TV]

But yeah, that screencap looks incredible! But I heard that Power DVD has an option to increse bitrate... I bet that could help the FUNi DVD's.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:42 pm

For me its purely an economical decision. Let aside subtitles, I can creep along slowly bit by bit on DBZ with the FUNI discs, and I can easily spend $25 on a disc a month. But with $800 all at once it's just not going to work. I've probably total spent more but its been over the corse of many years.
-Laserkid

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:43 pm

Ok, Dragon Box vs. FUNi....

I used to own about 60 FUNi DB/Z/GT disks (which I've now sold, so I can't do image comparisons), and I also have all 3 Pony Canyon Dragon Boxes that are currently out. I've watched them all many, many times, so I'm not just making stuff up. Anyways, on to the comparison....

AUDIO
FUNimation
The audio on the FUNi disks is in mono and sounds very aged. Often times when the music hits a high note (often with violins or a loud trumpet) the audio begins to crackle and give out. This also happens with loud yells or a loud explosion. The audio also has lots of static in it, which is most noticable during silent moments (you can hear shhhhhhhhhh in the background).

Pony Canyon
The audio is in mono, and still sounds aged, but has been completely cleaned up.
1. Openings/Endings are remastered and sound much better than the actual in-episode audio.
2. The audio no longer crackles or drops out.
3. The static in the background has been removed (no hissing noise during silent moments).

VIDEO
FUNimation
The image is significantly zoomed in most of the time (but not always). The colours have been tampered with (it looks as if the black level has been turned up on the animation, while brightness has been increased on the backgrounds). There are also some transfer problems occasionally, including macroblocking and that double-line thing. The image is quite grainy at times, and there is extensive cel/video damage. Due to the way the series was animated, there is quite a lot of jitter as well.

Pony Canyon
The video was remastered from the original 16mm prints, the end result being:
1. The full image is presented (if you watch on the computer, the video literally spans right to the very edge of the image).
2. The image has been completely cleansed of all damage and most of the grain.
3. The jitter has been greatly reduced.
And of course, all episodes are on dual layer DVDs with *perfect* transfer.

PACKAGING
FUNimation
DB - Clamshell keepcase, disk on each side, fold out booklet with episode listings and ads sits loose in the case. Decent cover art.
DBZ - Clamshell keepcase, single disk, screen-cap cover art.
GT - Clamshell keepcase, single disk, fold out booklet with episode listings and screen-caps. First-press disks came with a free T-shirt offer inside. Decent cover art.

Pony Canyon
DB - Large solid box (about the size of a jumbo serial box) with a metallic glossy finish. Inside are seven very solid books, each holding 4 disks, except for book #7 (which contains the Dragon Book). Different character on each book cover, all with a mat finish. Under each disk is a screen cap and episode listing for each disk. Includes 130 page magazine-sized book (loaded with stuff) with a mat finish on the cover.

DBZ x 2 - Large solid box (about the size of a jumbo serial box) with a glossy finish. Inside are seven very solid books, each holding 4 disks, except for book #7 (which contains the Dragon Book Z). Same design on each book cover, all with a gloss finish. Under each disk is a screen cap (but no episode listing, which is kinda annoying). Includes 130 page magazine-sized book (loaded with stuff) with a gloss finish on the cover.
The spines of the 14 DVD cases make a complete image of Goku and Gohan leaping into battle (or at least I'd assume).

EXTRAS
FUNimation
The occasional character bio. Commercials. Action figure previews. I recall some actor bios on one disk. Clean OP/ED. That *hilarious* "Be a Star" music video from the 6th GT disk. Directors "top 10" picks. Ummmm... I think that was everything...

Pony Canyon
See the thread about the Dragon Box extras...I'll post some more stuff there later...

SUBTITLES
FUNimation
Excellent subtitling from both Steve and Clyde. Top-notch, really.

Pony Canyon
N/A

FLAWS
FUNimation
They would sometimes use the wrong credits (Ginyu openings/Trunks closings). They would sometimes use the wrong animations (some Freeza openings). For the most part, no credits are ever provided (yeah, yeah, I know it's TOEI's fault). No previews are ever provided. Some disks had no recaps (Ginyu). Transfer flaws. I recall a recap with mistimed audio on one of the Cell disks. Many disks had no eye-catches. Subtitle boo-boos. Problems with switching tracks on certain disks (often the credit sequence would have multiple tracks). The dub! :P ...just kidding...

Pony Canyon
No preview for the Trunks special. No preview for DBZ ep 1. No preview for GT ep 1. Public service videos not remastered. And I think it's probably just my set, but the audio drops out for about a second on a particular episode (when Trunks and Goten are eating and Popo walks in and they attack him).

Wow! That's a big post! :shock:

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:19 pm

Of course the Japanese DVDs would look better; since when have the Japanese produced inferior products?
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:27 am

Mattias wrote:Of course the Japanese DVDs would look better; since when have the Japanese produced inferior products?
Spirited Away dvds(Caused quite an uproar) and the recently released PSP, nuff said :lol:

CloakBass

Post by CloakBass » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:48 pm

Mattias wrote:Of course the Japanese DVDs would look better; since when have the Japanese produced inferior products?
A lot of electronics that are released first in Japan aren't quite the same quality as their American counterparts. This is due to the typical Japanese consumer's love for flashy tech gadgets as opposed to the the typical American consumer's tendency to look for value and practicality. When products are brought to America, they've typically been tested out more thoroughly both within companies and in the Japanese market.

SuperFusion
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperFusion » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:32 am

You can easily make american DBZ footage just as good as the Dragon Box's or even better. So, it's something that's not really worth debating to me. Then again, I and the other AMV editors who are experienced with AVS script and VirtualDub may be the only ones who can do it. :?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:38 am

You can't make FUNimation's look as good as the "Dragon Box" sets, no matter how great a scripter you are. It's just impossible with the bitrate. You can make it look decent, but I can make the "Dragon Box" footage look like visual orgasm.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:47 pm

VegettoEX wrote:You can't make FUNimation's look as good as the "Dragon Box" sets, no matter how great a scripter you are. It's just impossible with the bitrate. You can make it look decent, but I can make the "Dragon Box" footage look like visual orgasm.
*drools* i wanna see it! I actually got to see a DragonBox clip... amazing, just flippin' amazing!

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:59 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:*drools* i wanna see it! I actually got to see a DragonBox clip... amazing, just flippin' amazing!
I'm feeling generous. Make a request, and I'll try and have it tomorrow night ;p

-Corey

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:03 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
SonGokuGT wrote:*drools* i wanna see it! I actually got to see a DragonBox clip... amazing, just flippin' amazing!
I'm feeling generous. Make a request, and I'll try and have it tomorrow night ;p

-Corey
Hmmm... Goku vs Majin Vegeta... best fight ever! Thank you! :D

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:21 am

CloakBass wrote:A lot of electronics that are released first in Japan aren't quite the same quality as their American counterparts. This is due to the typical Japanese consumer's love for flashy tech gadgets as opposed to the the typical American consumer's tendency to look for value and practicality. When products are brought to America, they've typically been tested out more thoroughly both within companies and in the Japanese market.
Shaddap. I like my Panasonic products *pout*.
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.