Will The Z Movies Get The Kai/Redub Treatment?
- Ultimate_DB_Fan
- Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
- Posts: 468
- Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:22 pm
Will The Z Movies Get The Kai/Redub Treatment?
Just thought I'd throw this question out there... Does anyone think that, at some point, either during the dubbing of Kai or after all the boxsets are released, that FUNi will redub both the movies and 2 t.v. specials with the new voice cast?
I ask this because it seems a little weird that they'd dub the show the way they're currently doing so, but not the movies and specials. It feels awkward seeing some Kai eps., followed by one of the movies that had the original FUNi voice group.
Obviously, Kai is proving to be a hit as it moves towards the new generation. But what's gonna happen to the new generation of fans when they get their hands on the movies and specials? It'll possibly confuse them all and create quite the comotion.
Any thoughts/opinions?
I ask this because it seems a little weird that they'd dub the show the way they're currently doing so, but not the movies and specials. It feels awkward seeing some Kai eps., followed by one of the movies that had the original FUNi voice group.
Obviously, Kai is proving to be a hit as it moves towards the new generation. But what's gonna happen to the new generation of fans when they get their hands on the movies and specials? It'll possibly confuse them all and create quite the comotion.
Any thoughts/opinions?
- LeprikanGT
- I Live Here
- Posts: 3398
- Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:58 pm
- Location: Namek
- Contact:
Re: Will The Z Movies Get The Kai/Redub Treatment?
Theres no "filler" in the movies so theres nothing to cut out.
- Char Aznable
- Regular
- Posts: 504
- Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:02 pm
- Location: Connecticut
- Contact:
Re: Will The Z Movies Get The Kai/Redub Treatment?
Additionally, the movies and TV specials are under the Z label, not Kai. Therefore, FUNimation has no reason to redub them with the Kai voice cast.
- batistabus
- Patreon Supporter
- Posts: 2108
- Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm
- Location: DBS:SH
Re: Will The Z Movies Get The Kai/Redub Treatment?
I would love it if they were to do this.
- Innagadadavida
- I Live Here
- Posts: 3480
- Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:25 am
- Location: Arkansas, USA
Re: Will The Z Movies Get The Kai/Redub Treatment?
Kai is under the "Z label" in the USA.Char Aznable wrote:Additionally, the movies and TV specials are under the Z label, not Kai. Therefore, FUNimation has no reason to redub them with the Kai voice cast.
I would like a redub too, but what would they do about music? Keep the score from the original Z? I don't see it happening, it's just too unlikely... Unless they're planning on individual movie re-releases with Dragon Box footage *fangasm* on Blu-Ray *faints*
Re: Will The Z Movies Get The Kai/Redub Treatment?
I'd like to at least see the two TV specials get updated redubs sooner or later. Lord knows they both need it FAR more than any of the movies. Maybe more than all the movies combined.
[ BlueSky | Bsky: DBS Plots | DeviantArt | Twitter (Depreciated) ]
[PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader | Switch FC: SW-4304-7361-2824 | ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone") ]
Powar Levuls! — DBZ | Movies & Specials | GT
[PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader | Switch FC: SW-4304-7361-2824 | ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone") ]
Powar Levuls! — DBZ | Movies & Specials | GT
- Ultimate_DB_Fan
- Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
- Posts: 468
- Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:22 pm
Re: Will The Z Movies Get The Kai/Redub Treatment?
I'm more than aware that the movies aren't canon and that they don't need their own filler removed (as small as it is). It's just that, with me, regardless of the fact that they all take place in an alternate, seperate DB universe, I still very much associate the movies and specials with the show.
I guess I can live with the new voice cast and lack of filler, but I would have less of a time being conflicted if everything were to be redubbed, not just the series.
I guess I can live with the new voice cast and lack of filler, but I would have less of a time being conflicted if everything were to be redubbed, not just the series.
-
Cowboy Dev
- Beyond Newbie
- Posts: 259
- Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:45 pm
- Location: Houston
Re: Will The Z Movies Get The Kai/Redub Treatment?
Seconded.batistabus wrote:I would love it if they were to do this.
A Dragon Ball/Urusei Yatsura crossover would be awesome.
Having Toshio Furukawa balance between Piccolo and Ataru would be hilarious.
Having Toshio Furukawa balance between Piccolo and Ataru would be hilarious.
Re: Will The Z Movies Get The Kai/Redub Treatment?
I can see it maybe happening when they release DragonBox: The Movies
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Youtube | Art/Animation BlogInsertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
- Budogenkai
- OMG CRAZY REGEN
- Posts: 771
- Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:21 am
- Location: Ohio
Re: Will The Z Movies Get The Kai/Redub Treatment?
I was thinking about this too, praying that's the reason why the Movie Box is taking so long to release.
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64
http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips
anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?
360: Bhuda64
http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips
anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?
- penguintruth
- Banned
- Posts: 4861
- Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm
Re: Will The Z Movies Get The Kai/Redub Treatment?
I was under the impression that none of the Funimation dubs for the movies aren't really bad enough to need a redubbing. But I generally stay away from the dubs of the movies. Especially History of Trunks. And I bought that on VHS.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.
Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!
Can I get a Schemen?
-
theoriginalbilis
- I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
- Posts: 1908
- Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:33 pm
- Location: United States
- Contact:
Re: Will The Z Movies Get The Kai/Redub Treatment?
The movies that really need a redubbing would be DB Movies 1-3. And that's completely up in the air right now... as much as I would love to see, it probably won't happen with 2 & 3 (of course we all know Movie 1 is getting a redub luckily.)
The only Z-related program that really deserves it is the Bardock special. The friggin' story and the Saiyan race were completely rewritten in that damned thing. Shame too, because I found most of the voiceovers, especially Strait's Bardock to be pretty decent.
The only Z-related program that really deserves it is the Bardock special. The friggin' story and the Saiyan race were completely rewritten in that damned thing. Shame too, because I found most of the voiceovers, especially Strait's Bardock to be pretty decent.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.
Re: Will The Z Movies Get The Kai/Redub Treatment?
Agreed. I just recently watched the Dub of DB Movie 2 again. It was much worse than I remembered. The terrible Dub acting just made that Movie worse (And trust me, it was pretty bad to begin with).theoriginalbilis wrote:The movies that really need a redubbing would be DB Movies 1-3. And that's completely up in the air right now... as much as I would love to see, it probably won't happen with 2 & 3 (of course we all know Movie 1 is getting a redub luckily.)
The only Z-related program that really deserves it is the Bardock special. The friggin' story and the Saiyan race were completely rewritten in that damned thing. Shame too, because I found most of the voiceovers, especially Strait's Bardock to be pretty decent.
But as far as Z goes. As far as the Movies go, none of them were bad enough to warrant a re-dubbing. None of them were on Season 3 Level. I'd say their Movie Dubs ranged from Mid-Cell Saga accuracy (Movie Five) at the worst to Buu Saga accuracy (Movie Eight) at the best. The Trunks Special was also done pretty accurately. Though I wouldn't mind hearing Gohan Re-Dubbed by Hebert. While I'm a big fan of Dameon as Mirai Gohan, I'd really like to see how Hebert would handle it.
So at the end of the day, the Bardock special IS the only Z-Era Movie or Special that NEEDS a Re-Dub dialogue wise...Plus, not to mention...CHRIS AYRES!!!
- penguintruth
- Banned
- Posts: 4861
- Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm
Re: Will The Z Movies Get The Kai/Redub Treatment?
But... I liked Ceyli Delgadillo's little Goku. 
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.
Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!
Can I get a Schemen?
-
Piccolo Daimaoh
- Born 'n Bred Here
- Posts: 5407
- Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Re: Will The Z Movies Get The Kai/Redub Treatment?
I agree with Gozar in saying that the movie dubs aren't bad enough to warrant redubs. The T.V specials, however......... possibly. If anything needs the redub treatment, it's the first three Dragon Ball movies.
- SaiyamanMS
- OMG CRAZY REGEN
- Posts: 983
- Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:08 am
- Location: Australia
- Contact:
Re: Will The Z Movies Get The Kai/Redub Treatment?
Agreed. Movie 1 is pretty much a given, seeing as there's only the edited '95 dub so far. Movie 2 isn't completely atrocious or anything, but you can clearly hear the lack of experience from everyone involved. As for movie 3... Well, it's certainly the best of the first 3 movies, although a number of the cast are still inconsistent and I simply don't care for Delgadillo's little Goku. Stephanie Nadolny is kid Goku to me in English. Although if I had to accept a replacement, I suppose Colleen Clinkenbeard would be the one for the job with something between Gohan and Luffy.Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:I agree with Gozar in saying that the movie dubs aren't bad enough to warrant redubs. The T.V specials, however......... possibly. If anything needs the redub treatment, it's the first three Dragon Ball movies.
As for the Z movies... Yeah, I couldn't really see any reason to redub them unless you wanted to stick in Clinkenbeard's Gohan, Rial's Bulma and Ayers's Freeza (In movies 5 and 12?) for some reason. And even in that case, the old recordings for Goku, Piccolo, Krillin, etc. would be fine. So... It'd almost be like the redubbing done for the season sets after season 2 then?
- Ultimate_DB_Fan
- Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
- Posts: 468
- Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:22 pm
Re: Will The Z Movies Get The Kai/Redub Treatment?
I'm suprised that a lot of you are saying that the movies and Trunks special don't need redubbings... I'll agree that the majority of performances in them are okay, but they still contain innacurate dialogue from that of the original scripts. Isn't that one of the many problems people have here with FUNi's old Z dub, which was the altering of the Japanese version's dialogue? Sabat's Piccolo in a few of them yells "Special Beam Cannon," and Nadolny & Vollmer still voice characters that got recasted for Kai.
Perhaps I'm coming forth as a bit nitpicky on something that I was always okay with, in this case the voice work for the movies and specials, but shouldn't FUNi go all the way and redub all the old dub's so-called mistakes?
Perhaps I'm coming forth as a bit nitpicky on something that I was always okay with, in this case the voice work for the movies and specials, but shouldn't FUNi go all the way and redub all the old dub's so-called mistakes?
Re: Will The Z Movies Get The Kai/Redub Treatment?
Out of all the movies that I've checked out dubbed lately, it seems it took them all the way to movie 13 to finally have a decent translation, so yes a re dub would be a welcome bonus to a movie box release.
Also, a properly translated and well acted Bardock Special with Ayres as Freeza? *MUST HAVE*
Also, a properly translated and well acted Bardock Special with Ayres as Freeza? *MUST HAVE*
- Metalwario64
- Born 'n Bred Here
- Posts: 6334
- Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
- Location: Namek
Re: Will The Z Movies Get The Kai/Redub Treatment?
Not at all. In fact, 13's script was one of the less accurate ones, with things like Goku saying "We need... BALLS!" and Bulma's cringe worthy rant about "tolerance". Not to mention them wanting to change Hirudegarn's weakness randomly at the end, which really comes across as stupid in it's own right (Harsh words? Seriously? Were they trying to rip off movie 12?), but they had it right earlier in the script, so it's inconsistent with itself.MR.Mark wrote:it seems it took them all the way to movie 13 to finally have a decent translation
Movie 8's dub is probably the most accurate one.
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash
Re: Will The Z Movies Get The Kai/Redub Treatment?
What? Movie 13 was decent in accuracy. Definitely not the worst. But Movie 8 was BY FAR the most accurate.MR.Mark wrote:Out of all the movies that I've checked out dubbed lately, it seems it took them all the way to movie 13 to finally have a decent translation, so yes a re dub would be a welcome bonus to a movie box release.
Also, a properly translated and well acted Bardock Special with Ayres as Freeza? *MUST HAVE*
But anyway...For me, cast inconsistency with Kai is not enough ot a reason to warrant a Re-Dub. I highly doubt Toei is going to re-do the Z Movies just to do voice replacements for Tenshinhan, Kame-sennin, Chi-Chi, etc. Given, Gohan is a much bigger character in the Movies than those 3. But I just don't see it happening.










