Spain to get Kanzenban! Possibly DragonBoxes!?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LaRésistance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LaRésistance » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:34 pm

Well the French names could change from one episode to another. Satan Petit Coeur was sometimes called Piccolo, H.ercule was sometimes called Satan H.ercule... Even worse, Baba (which is the French name of Master oshi's sister) was sometimes called Bulma.

The people in charge of the French dub really didn't have a clue.
The résistance dies but never gives up.

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:49 pm

Fuujin wrote:I guess they took Italian meaning of "Piccolo" too literally... Trust me, it sounds worse in Polish.
I know. I saw the end of the Saiya-jin Saga in Polish.
Btw. Piccolos name is "Junior" in Italy. They translated a few names but changed Piccolo completely. Okay, it is an italian word, but is that really a good reason?

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:17 pm

Hahaha! Yup, Resistance. In Spain, there was merchadise (posters, trading cards, stickers) where Piccolo was referred to as Satanas. My cousins grew up in Barcelona, and they told me he was called Petit Satan over there in the Catalan dub... He was referred to a Piccolo in the Castillian Spanish dub even though it was done by the same company. I guess they didn't get the whole musical instrument pun (Piano, Tambourine) and went with the literal Italian translation of the word "piccolo".

LaRésistance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LaRésistance » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:40 pm

I just remembered that in the manga, when Piccolo comes to the tournament to avenge his father's death, he is called "Demon Junior".
The résistance dies but never gives up.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:38 am

LaRésistance wrote:I just remembered that in the manga, when Piccolo comes to the tournament to avenge his father's death, he is called "Demon Junior".
Well, it's literally the original "Ma Junior"...

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Fuujin » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:23 am

Heh, I remember that his nickname at the 23rd Budokai in Polish version was "Satan Little Heart Junior". The scene where he showed his real identity was hilarious.

Piccolo: I, Petit Coeur Junior (or whatever the French called him in that episode), am really... the son of Petit Coeur!
Audience: No!
Audience: It's impossible!
Audience: How can it BEEEEE?!
It's party time, Ginyu style!

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:07 am

LaRésistance wrote:Well the French names could change from one episode to another. Satan Petit Coeur was sometimes called Piccolo, H.ercule was sometimes called Satan H.ercule... Even worse, Baba (which is the French name of Master oshi's sister) was sometimes called Bulma.

The people in charge of the French dub really didn't have a clue.
Oh yes! I remember one scene in particular, the one where Goku asks that demon that drove him to the beginning of Serpent Road to take a message to Baba for him. And they say Buruma instead. That really confused me. I thought the first time that I was imagining hearing it! XD
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

spikemcruffy
Beyond Newbie

Post by spikemcruffy » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:09 am

j
Last edited by spikemcruffy on Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:56 pm

Stupid spaniards.

You know, you should really watch what you say... I'm Spanish, and if you want to insult a whole race for wanting one of their languages on a DVD...

-What a boring person taking what I say seriously,
I guess I've tended to use the word "stupid" a bit to easy after i started to mass-watch anime, i mean, baka is usual in every fith sentence.
Nothing personal with it.
Best dub there is of dbgt must be the spanish "mexican" one.
You have to be fuckin' kidding me...[/quote]

Have you compared, because I have.
No dubs beats the mex spanish db z gt.