What do your folks think of Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

What do your folks think of Dragon Ball?

Post by AgitoZ » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:46 pm

Well I've been a bit curious about this for a while. This thread is basically to talk about what do your family and friends think about Dragon Ball and/or your strong liking of it.

My parents both feel differently about it. My Mom originally heavily disliked it and my enjoyment of it, its violence,blah,blah(keep in mind this is the Mexican dub). She and other parents of my friends thought it was a bad influence. Although thankfully this has calmed down.

My Dad on the other hand does not really mind. He's happy its something I enjoy and he's shown some interest in it. He just thinks its another cartoon. But I don't think he has any right to berate me. Since he has told me he watched Mazinger when he was younger.

Other friends and family just think of it as a hobby.

So post your thoughts!
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What do your folks think of Dragon Ball?

Post by Perfect » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:49 pm

My mother thinks Dragon Ball is an actual character in the series and that he's the embodiment of the devil, and that every character is also a demon.

My father doesn't really care. But he does like Oolong.

My friends, well it varies. Some think it's the greatest animated series of all time. Some thinks it's okay, some don't know what it is. None of my friends really dislike it.

My sister would ridicule me for it when I was younger, thinking I was insane (literally) for liking villains more than heroes and she also thought the concept was childish or wicked, but look who's taller now, bitch. >.>
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:14 pm

They hate it and think I'm a little kid for watching it.

My friends all know I like DBZ and don't care though, some of them are fans themselves.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:28 pm

Both my parents are aware of it, but don't really pay any attention to it. As for what they think about my fandom, they actually don't mind and have gotten me birthday/Christmas presents of various things from the series throughout the years. In fact, I got a cake with Goku on it for my 12th birthday.

My sister doesn't mind either and actually enjoys it from time to time.

My friends liked it when they were younger, but as they've gotten older, their interest in the series has sort of died off. I'm sure they wouldn't mind watching a part of the series or playing one of the video games again.

So I'm basically the only major fan of it within my family/friends. I'm pretty sure most of us on here are though...

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:33 pm

My brother likes it as much as I do, I guess. My mom's the one worth mentioning; she actually read all 42 volumes a while ago and quite enjoyed it. It was fun talking with someone like her as she read it, since she not only knew barely anything about Dragon Ball, but didn't know much about shonen, either. Plus she got to read it from the very beginning and in order, which is something I never got to do myself.

My parents split up, so I don't even know if my dad knows what Dragon Ball is.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:42 pm

They know what Dragon Ball is, and they don't care since no one in my family expect for my 15th year old sister likes Anime. My little sister thinks Dragon Ball is okay, but not her favorite anime. She did said that Mirai Trunks is here favorite character.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

NUDEoctopus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NUDEoctopus » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:48 pm

My parents think it is a kids cartoon, and I'm just too old for it. I don't think they really care too much though.

Some of my friends like it as much as me, which pretty much means its all they care about.

Other friends don't know anything about it, but they like to make fun of it only because they know I like it so much.

Regardless of all their thoughts, I'm pretty sure I am by far the most passionate fan, in North Carolina at least. lol
PSN: moyerman105

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:56 pm

The first time they aired the very first episode of Dragon Ball on Toonami my mom saw Goku fishing naked with his tail. She thought Goku was pooping in the water. Now whenever she sees any Dragon Ball stuff she asks me if that is the show with the pooping monkey boy.
My dad doesn't really think anything of it, he probably thinks it is a video game series since he never sees me watch the show and my DB comic books just stay in my room.
Most of my friends watched it at one point or another and a few of them are watching Z Kai on Nicktoons for nostalgia. My friends' younger brother and has most of the DVDs. I borrowed the "Dragon Ball Uncut" DVDs from him so I could watch the animated series for the first time(I've only seen a few dub episodes).

DBZGokuSaiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZGokuSaiyan » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:44 pm

Well...

My mom has always been neutral about it. Obviously she was fine with my huge obsession over it when I was little, but once I got older, she kept questioning my reason for still enjoying it; she even happened to leave two of my favorite DBZ shirts (including my first ever one) back in India, on purpose. I was infuriated. She also didn't want me buying any Uncut VHS/DVD releases, either, but she started allowing me to do so once I turned 11. Recently, though, she's just went along with it as I haven't bought any DBZ-related merchandise in almost a year now (I'm kind of surprised myself).

My dad really couldn't care less. :lol: I remember playing Budokai as a little kid at my closest friends' house and he would always shout "Kamehameha!" whenever either of us playing as Goku spammed the hell out of it. It was actually kinda cool.
Get Sponsored. Give Back.

SocialVibe

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:02 am

"How come everyone in this show is obsessed with panties?"
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:31 am

My mother thinks its a kids show, sister hates anime in general, brother thinks its cool but doesnt care for it and my father doesnt give a crap

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:34 am

Dad: Thinks it's kind of stupid, but we're on very good terms and he never gives me any serious shit for liking it.

Mom: Actually thinks it's kind of endearing.

Brother: First got into back in the days of Toonami with me, although by now he only has a passing interest.

Sister: Despite being a fourteen-year-old girly girl, she's been exposed to enough of the series through me and my brother that she's peripherally aware of the plot. She'll even sit down and watch an episode with me sometimes, and even request that I play one more when I say I'm done for now.

Friends: I have sat down and gotten them to watch strings of Japanese Dragon Box episodes with me, which they really enjoyed. Not enough to follow it, but as a kind of hour-long time killer.

Girlfriend: Have been going through Dragon Ball from the beginning with her. We finished "Season Two" right before the end of the summer. She loves it.

So, yeah. No one in my close circle takes issue with it. Hell, even friends outside my closest circle know I enjoy my '90s children's cartoons, comic books, etc. I'm not anti-social or obsessive about it, so it worst it's only ever seen as a little quirk.

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:35 am

Mom: She is aware of it. Since I listen to Japanese music from time to time, play Tenkaichi 3 with the Japanese voices, she thinks I have turned Japanese. :lol: That's obviously not the case, as I don't know jack squat about the Language! And yes, she buys me Dragonball Z DVDs/Games/Whatever, and she just puts it in the "Something Japanese" category. :P

Dad: He is also aware of it. He's walked into my room, curious as to what I was doing, and some episode of Dragonball Z was on the TV. He was like, "What is this?" and walked out.

Friends: I had a Friend back in Grade School (From 1st-8th Grade) that was pretty heavy into Dragonball. Played the games, we watched VHS when I brought them over. His mom had some store or something, and a VCR was there. So we watched Dragonball GT on it. :P It's been a few years since I've seen him, I don't even know if he likes it anymore. :cry: As for other people, I don't even mention it. :|

Other Family members: My cousins were fans, they knew what it was. The youngest of the three was pretty heavy into it, like my friend. He moved onto Naruto. :P
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:43 am

My dad hates any Anime with supernatural forces in it. So he dislike Dragon Ball and Naruto and any Anime with supernatural forces in it! A few days ago he noticed that I hanging my DBZ poster (New Art!) on my closet, He didn't I knew I was hanging it and he immediately take it off and rip it and throw it in the trash. I didn't care that much because I was thinking to changed it to another awesomer DBZ poster (New Art!). He knew I got the some other DB stuff but didn't mind and I'm keeping my DB stuff in my closet.

My mom didn't mine I have DB stuff.

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:44 am

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:My dad hates any Anime with supernatural forces in it. So he dislike Dragon Ball and Naruto and any Anime with supernatural forces in it! A few days ago he noticed that I hanging my DBZ poster (New Art!) on my closet, He didn't I knew I was hanging it and he immediately take it off and rip it and throw it in the trash. I didn't care that much because I was thinking to changed it to another awesomer DBZ poster (New Art!). He knew I got the some other DB stuff but didn't mind and I'm keeping my DB stuff in my closet.

That's a pretty stupid reason. "omg it has supernatural forces, bad!", your father needs a lecture.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:49 am

Perfect wrote:
Goku100xKamehameha wrote:My dad hates any Anime with supernatural forces in it. So he dislike Dragon Ball and Naruto and any Anime with supernatural forces in it! A few days ago he noticed that I hanging my DBZ poster (New Art!) on my closet, He didn't I knew I was hanging it and he immediately take it off and rip it and throw it in the trash. I didn't care that much because I was thinking to changed it to another awesomer DBZ poster (New Art!). He knew I got the some other DB stuff but didn't mind and I'm keeping my DB stuff in my closet.

That's a pretty stupid reason. "omg it has supernatural forces, bad!", your father needs a lecture.
Dude! Don't judge him! :|
Last edited by Goku100xKamehameha on Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:09 am

My family has a general acceptance of it.

My Grandma was mildly interested in it back in the Toonami days, but she hasn't been necessarily eager to try and watch at least Z from the beginning.

My Mom never really was interested in it, but she kinda knew when something was new out for it, and would pick me up a DVD/VHS for it several years ago. Actually, one birthday, she went with me to the store and helped pick out a shitload of figures to spend a shitload of money on. :lol: I think that was like, 99, 2000 maybe? lol

My Uncle, he made a funny/kinda weird comment involving Dragonball one point a few years ago. I used to have a cavalcade of various heavy metal, video game, wrestling and Dragonball posters on my wall. Not really the usual poster type of stuff teens would have (ie: "hawt baybz!1"). He walked in, just curious as to what I was upto, and was like, "Dude, you need to get some chicks on your wall. Even some Dragonball Z bitches or something..." :lol:

My brother is as into it as I am. He doesn't know as much, because he doesn't really feel like edumacating himself with the greatness that is Daizex, but he still loves the hell out of it. I told him to buy Kai and the Dragon Boxes, or he's else fired. From LIFE.

My cousin... more or less is really familiar with it. I don't think he's really seen anymore than just a random episode or movie here and there. He used to have my brother's copy of Budokai 3 and lost it. lol He's definitely one of the Naruto generation though (he lost interest when CN canceled it). He's more into Pokemon than anything at the moment; not really the show, but the cards and the games.

My little sister only knows of it from me playing the games. I'll introduce her to Kai someday. She'll like it, I'm sure.

Friends I've managed to have all liked it. Best friends all watched it back in the day, and some watched it after I didn't have cable to see the rest of the series after the Cell Games. My only two actual friends left though like it plenty that they'd watch it just for some nostalgia, but not actually buy any of the DVD's. I have a suspicion one might have a Season Set or two, but I've never asked lol. The other rented the whole Ginyu through Freeza saga on Netflix and copied the DVD's. I told him to flip it over the Japanese track if he ever got bored enough with them. :wink:
Cipher wrote:Girlfriend: Have been going through Dragon Ball from the beginning with her. We finished "Season Two" right before the end of the summer. She loves it.
I'm totally jealous right now. :P
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:01 am

nathantheguitarist wrote:I'm totally jealous right now. :P
If anything, I'm jealous of her. She gets to see it all in the proper order.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:20 am

My folks find it quite strange that I always watch the show in Japanese.
-Joey

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:18 am

Father: My father enjoyed it when it aired, he watched it with us, but now ten years later he's obviously not into it any more. Even though he sometimes still yells catchphrases but I wonder if he still knows where it was from.

I have no idea what he thinks of all the posters and figurines in the bedroom of his 23-year old daughter :lol:

Sister: She's okay with me liking it. Doesn't really care. When it aired she'd sometime watch an episode with us out of boredom.

Brother: 10 years ago me and him were the hardcore fans of the family. Like most people he stopped liking it when it stopped airing, and he went playing MMORPG's and stop watching anime all together. He often uses the subject of 'anime' to tease me even though he knows that some series I watch really aren't childish at all.

Other family members: No clue.

Friends: Met some of my best friends through this fandom but as the fandom dropped a bit with them I was still a big fan. They do accept me for it though. As for friends at school, they watched it ten years ago but I have never come across big fans like myself. If they even watch anime it's usually main stream stuff like Naruto and Bleach.