Do you guys feel that Kai was a quick Cash-In?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Do you guys feel that Kai was a quick Cash-In?

Post by Budogenkai » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:41 pm

Sorry if this may have been already discussed a lot, but I was just wondering..

Do you guys ever feel that Kai was developed too quickly and wasn't properly handled? I personally feel like that there could have been much more done with Kai and it just wasn't..

Thoughts?
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Do you guys feel that Kai was a quick Cash-In?

Post by Cipher » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:51 pm

There's been some discussion of the idea that, with higher salaries for the veteran cast, Kai is actually quite an expensive proposition for Toei.

That said, I really ... don't enjoy it all that much. Mostly because, as you said, it feels like a cheap re-cut of an older show, and it doesn't hide it all that well.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:54 pm

Nope. Dragonball/Z was the greatest anime ever, so it deserves to get the "Kai" treatment. I would have MUCH more have liked them to have redrew the entire series like the opening and ending, but still it is amazing that they did it in the first place.

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:04 pm

In all honesty? It's a sort of toss up in my opinion, you can definitely see it as a cash-in but at the same time, it does feel to me as the 20th Anniversary celebration of Z.

Cowboy Dev
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cowboy Dev » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:32 pm

It's kinda weird for me. I find it as just DBZ stock footage with rerecorded voices and new music, yet still enjoy watching it every week or so.
A Dragon Ball/Urusei Yatsura crossover would be awesome.
Having Toshio Furukawa balance between Piccolo and Ataru would be hilarious.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:54 pm

It's one of those weird quick cash-ins that absolutely beats the shit out of the previous product.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:05 am

Rocketman wrote:It's one of those weird quick cash-ins that absolutely beats the shit out of the previous product.
This. Yes it used was another perfect opportunity to milk Dragonball Z, but as a dubbie, Kai has been what I've always wanted; the characters say what they actually said in the original (closer than Funi's previous attempts at least), AND I don't have to read subs. Win-Win. So I can live with the fact that DBZ's being redone to death, since from my perspective, the quality is improving each time.

On a side note, some of the redrawn scenes just don't look quite right to me. Don't know what it is.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:13 am

Zephyr wrote:
Rocketman wrote:It's one of those weird quick cash-ins that absolutely beats the shit out of the previous product.
This. Yes it used was another perfect opportunity to milk Dragonball Z, but as a dubbie, Kai has been what I've always wanted; the characters say what they actually said in the original (closer than Funi's previous attempts at least), AND I don't have to read subs. Win-Win. So I can live with the fact that DBZ's being redone to death, since from my perspective, the quality is improving each time.

On a side note, some of the redrawn scenes just don't look quite right to me. Don't know what it is.
As a Dubbie, I miss all the old voices BUT I love DBZ and I'll buy anything that's put out pretty much. And as a FAN in general, I hate that it's STILL editted for the home release.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:58 am

Eh, not really. The reduced filler/padding helps with the pacing, but the inferior music, lazy approach to the touch ups, tired-sounding cast, and censorship put a definite damper on it at times. Also, some of the filler was beneficial to the story.

Of course it's a cash-in. It's definitely a cash-in. It's still fairly enjoyable, a good alternative way to watch DBZ, but it doesn't really surpass it, or if it does, not by much.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:36 am

Of course Kai's a cash-in. That's pretty much fact at this point.

And yes, I like Z better. Why would I prefer the lazy, "re-cut" version with inferior voices and music?

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:41 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:And yes, I like Z better. Why would I prefer the lazy, "re-cut" version with inferior voices and music?
It's not buried under mountains of shit filler.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:44 am

Rocketman wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:And yes, I like Z better. Why would I prefer the lazy, "re-cut" version with inferior voices and music?
It's not buried under mountains of shit filler.
I actually happen to like some of the filler. And for the filler that I don't like, I can just fast-forward through it.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:56 am

Zephyr wrote: This. Yes it used was another perfect opportunity to milk Dragonball Z, but as a dubbie, Kai has been what I've always wanted; the characters say what they actually said in the original (closer than Funi's previous attempts at least), AND I don't have to read subs. Win-Win. So I can live with the fact that DBZ's being redone to death, since from my perspective, the quality is improving each time.
That's not even what Kai is, just what some random dub of it ended up being. And Funi didn't need Toei to make Kai before they could produce a non-shit Dragonball dub, either. If they wanted to, they could've done so whenever they felt like it.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:24 am

Adamant wrote:
Zephyr wrote: This. Yes it used was another perfect opportunity to milk Dragonball Z, but as a dubbie, Kai has been what I've always wanted; the characters say what they actually said in the original (closer than Funi's previous attempts at least), AND I don't have to read subs. Win-Win. So I can live with the fact that DBZ's being redone to death, since from my perspective, the quality is improving each time.
That's not even what Kai is, just what some random dub of it ended up being. And Funi didn't need Toei to make Kai before they could produce a non-shit Dragonball dub, either. If they wanted to, they could've done so whenever they felt like it.
I wouldn't have minded that, but I try to think from both a fan perspective and from a business perspective. The fan perspective in me would have bought the entirety of DBZ all over again if they gave it a loyal re-dub with (most of) the original cast. From a business perspective, though....that would have generated a ton of confusion. How many re-releases of DBZ have there already been? And how confusing would it be to explain to the average joe why it would be worth purchasing? In admitting that their hypothetical re-dub was more loyal, that would essentially be admitting that their old product was bad in certain areas, generating confusion among buyers and decreasing the customer's potential to buy the products. With Kai, they can treat it as an entirely separate entity rather than re-release Z again.

Again, the fan in me would have LOVED that, but from a business perspective, I don't think that would have been a good move on FUNi's part. My first preference would have been a loyal re-dub of Z, but I will settle for Kai given the circumstances. Like Zephyr, I can truly say that my interest in Kai stems almost entirely from the prospect of a loyal re-dub with the voices that brought the characters to life for me.* From that perspective, each new dubbed episode of Kai that I see is a huge treat for me.

*The only one role that I desperately wanted re-cast was Freeza, and well...I got my wish.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:39 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: I wouldn't have minded that, but I try to think from both a fan perspective and from a business perspective. The fan perspective in me would have bought the entirety of DBZ all over again if they gave it a loyal re-dub with (most of) the original cast. From a business perspective, though....that would have generated a ton of confusion. How many re-releases of DBZ have there already been? And how confusing would it be to explain to the average joe why it would be worth purchasing? In admitting that their hypothetical re-dub was more loyal, that would essentially be admitting that their old product was bad in certain areas, generating confusion among buyers and decreasing the customer's potential to buy the products.
But isn't that what the current situation is? How would it be any different if Funi had done a new dub without Toei first making a new, cutup video for them?
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:44 am

That is the real bad thing:
If you like anime dubbed in English, with it being well done and you like the original Dragon Ball Z?
You're kinda shit out of luck, and it is kinda sad.

But really in terms of Kai and its quality as a recut, I do seem to see people have different opinions on it.
Some absolutely think it's a travesty while others absolutely love it.
And that's the thing, and I wonder how a lot of people feel about it:
Most casual anime fans are very "Meh" about even considering watching Z, but with Kai and it's removal of filler, a lot of different people have a interest in Dragon Ball in general.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:13 am

Adamant wrote:Funi didn't need Toei to make Kai before they could produce a non-shit Dragonball dub, either. If they wanted to, they could've done so whenever they felt like it.
Yes, but Toei doing this gave them a perfect opportunity to make a decent dub, regardless of whether or not they were too lazy to redub Z on their own.

And I would enjoy a shorter good dub more than a longer good dub. I understand some people don't mind the filler and that's fine, but I can do without most of it. Also, fast forwarding, though not difficult to do, can get to be very tedious at times when I just want to sit back and watch without also being bored to tears.

One thing I do strongly dislike about Kai is the music though. Can't stand it. there are times when its almost as repetitive as some of Falconer's work got to be.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:01 am

I like it. It revives DBZ's popularity and gather new fans! I think DB fans should be grateful because of it and NOT being ungrateful little trolls.
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Why would I prefer the lazy, "re-cut" version with inferior voices and music?
They probably not lazy at all. Maybe they actually working hard but because of the budget, They can't go beyond that point. Remember, Kai is expensive.
Last edited by Goku100xKamehameha on Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:26 am

Goku100xKamehameha wrote: They probably not lazy at all. Maybe they actually working hard but because of the budget, They can't go beyond that point. Remember, Kai is expensive.
:lol:

How could remastering old footage (cut down footage, mind you) and occasionally animating new footage be overly expensive? Toei's really cheaped out with Kai.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:25 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Goku100xKamehameha wrote: They probably not lazy at all. Maybe they actually working hard but because of the budget, They can't go beyond that point. Remember, Kai is expensive.
:lol:

How could remastering old footage (cut down footage, mind you) and occasionally animating new footage be overly expensive? Toei's really cheaped out with Kai.
Marketing, the veteran voice cast being more expensive than their original bit roles, the economy, producing new music, obtaining idol groups, anything like that?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki