Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by AgitoZ » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:20 pm

superrayman3 wrote:The same could be said about InuYasha the final act that project started a few months before Ocean Kai was revealed and it took them three years to dub the final act which is only 26 episodes long (three years for only 26 episodes WTF) but that's finally coming out so I would wait a little longer before throwing in the towel on this.
IIRC, the dub for Final Act has been done for a while it's just that Viz is dumb was waiting for Neon Alley to premiere it.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:50 pm

Yet Drummond basically said its coming.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:14 pm

wut

When and where?
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:32 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:wut

When and where?
With me and only me.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:12 am

Attitudefan wrote:

When and where?
With me and only me.
What, you were invited home to Mr. Drummond? Lol, just kidding, I guess you asked him at a convention? Do you video-tape it?

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:03 am

sangofe wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:

When and where?
With me and only me.
What, you were invited home to Mr. Drummond? Lol, just kidding, I guess you asked him at a convention? Do you video-tape it?
I believe they met at the gym.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:29 am

There's a thread about it in the "General" section of the forum, but basically, Attitudefan coincidentally met Drummond at his gym. They talked briefly and, when asked about the Kai dub, Drummond gave an evasive, awkward, and unclear answer as to whether or not a Kai dub was happening. It would be one thing if he flat-out said "no," but his uneasiness, combined with his vague mention of "re-doing some lines," led Attitudefan to believe that an Ocean Kai dub is indeed happening. I interpreted it that way too...my guess is that Drummond didn't want to lie and say it wasn't happening, but also didn't want to break his NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement).

I don't blame him. It varies as to how much trouble somebody gets in for breaking an NDA. The best-case scenario is that they get a stern phone call, but the worst-case scenario is that they get fired and sued. For that reason, I'm still shocked that Scott McNeil used the phrase, "Screw the NDA," before talking about how he was working on Kai. I would NEVER do that!

But let's look at all the pieces here...we've now heard multiple actors say that it's happening, and the same countries that got the Ocean/Westwood dub of DBZ on TV are the only primarily English-speaking countries who haven't gotten a dub of Kai on TV yet. I have no doubt that we will see this dub eventually.

EDIT: Actually, just thought of something fun to pass the time...you'll notice that so far, this thread is 78 pages long, and we still haven't seen the dub. Shall we start making predictions on how many pages long this thread will be by the time the Ocean dub of Kai airs? I'm predicting 112.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:15 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:There's a thread about it in the "General" section of the forum, but basically, Attitudefan coincidentally met Drummond at his gym. They talked briefly and, when asked about the Kai dub, Drummond gave an evasive, awkward, and unclear answer as to whether or not a Kai dub was happening. It would be one thing if he flat-out said "no," but his uneasiness, combined with his vague mention of "re-doing some lines," led Attitudefan to believe that an Ocean Kai dub is indeed happening. I interpreted it that way too...my guess is that Drummond didn't want to lie and say it wasn't happening, but also didn't want to break his NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement).

I don't blame him. It varies as to how much trouble somebody gets in for breaking an NDA. The best-case scenario is that they get a stern phone call, but the worst-case scenario is that they get fired and sued. For that reason, I'm still shocked that Scott McNeil used the phrase, "Screw the NDA," before talking about how he was working on Kai. I would NEVER do that!

But let's look at all the pieces here...we've now heard multiple actors say that it's happening, and the same countries that got the Ocean/Westwood dub of DBZ on TV are the only primarily English-speaking countries who haven't gotten a dub of Kai on TV yet. I have no doubt that we will see this dub eventually.
There is also the fact that Kix! have seen a screener for DBZ Kai and of July this year still haven't decided whether or not they will get the show. They watched the screener January of last year. I think they are waiting for Ocean Kai to be finished before they make that decision. Also Manga Entertainment showed that the had interest in releasing Kai but Toei gave them the orange bricks. Funnily enough these sets will be finished in September 2013 so there seems to some incentive to releasing them so close together.

The dubbing for Ocean Kai only started summer 2011 so I still consider the dub to be on time. Scott McNeil said they were up to Jeice last Winter so that means they got about a third of the series done in six months. Going by that you would expect the recording process to be finished at the end of this year or early next year. There is no doubt that this dub is taking a long time and due to some similarities with the English dub of Final Act I wouldn't be surprised if VIZ/KAZE ended up being the production company.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:03 am

update.

Kai is coming to Canada soon, trust me. Also, try to keep "Vegeta's" name out of this info if you know what I mean.... NDA guys....

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:06 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
elcrunkus wrote:At this point it seems obvious they are going to dub the entire show before release.
No, it's not. This thread started in 2010 and it's almost 2013, they had almost 3 years to dub 98 episodes. I really don't think this is coming out.
Completely different company and situation, but I saw a video of Trunks' FUNimation actor, Eric Vale, at a convention where he was asked what his favorite project was. He answered "Desert Punk", and mentions that they spent a year working on that show, which is 24 episodes long. Kai is four times that amount, but again, this a supposed Ocean project so who knows what the time-tables are.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:11 pm

London MCM Expo is on this weekend and Manga Entertainment are going to announce some new acquisitions for 2013. If what Attitudefan means Ocean Kai is coming soon as in early 2013, you would nearly expect an announcement this year. I wouldn't get my hopes up but I do think that if this thing is getting a DVD/Bluray release then Manga UK would be the most likely ones to distribute it. What do you guys think?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:55 pm

Okay, so, lots of evidence is racked up suggesting that this Ocean dub of Kai will indeed happen. That's not really a mystery anymore. However, I did want to pass along an opportunity for interested Kanzenshuuers to get some more info. Apparently Scott McNeil will be a guest at Youmacon 2012, so anybody who's in the area and wants to ask how far along into the dub they are......there's your opportunity.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:43 am

Cool. Lets see what has been said corroborates with each other

NessMudkip
Beyond Newbie

Post by NessMudkip » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:06 am

I was at London MCM Expo this weekend. If any of you were at the Manga UK live podcast, you may have seen me wearing a rather large blue Tony Tony Chopper hat. Anyway, I asked about Dragon Ball Kai being released in the UK at the panel, and was told to "watch this space", and that we would probably have to wait until all the Orange Bricks had been released to see anything. Just something I managed to unearth while I was there, probably means nothing. I can't remember the exact response, but when the podcast is up on the site you'll be able to hear it.
Hey! Check out my YouTube Channel! I talk about Dragon Ball quite a lot. www.youtube.com/nessmudkipz

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:04 am

NessMudkip wrote:I was at London MCM Expo this weekend. If any of you were at the Manga UK live podcast, you may have seen me wearing a rather large blue Tony Tony Chopper hat. Anyway, I asked about Dragon Ball Kai being released in the UK at the panel, and was told to "watch this space", and that we would probably have to wait until all the Orange Bricks had been released to see anything. Just something I managed to unearth while I was there, probably means nothing. I can't remember the exact response, but when the podcast is up on the site you'll be able to hear it.
Thanks for that NessMudkip. This doesn't mean nothing, we now know that Manga are very much interested in releasing Kai. Looks like there is a better chance of getting a DVD/Bluray release of Ocean Kai. But I think you are right in saying that we won't see it releasing before the last orange brick.

NessMudkip
Beyond Newbie

Post by NessMudkip » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:49 am

The podcast is out now, and if you skip to around 11:58, you can hear my question and the answer.

http://www.mangauk.com/podcast/11-manga ... ber-12.mp3
Last edited by NessMudkip on Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hey! Check out my YouTube Channel! I talk about Dragon Ball quite a lot. www.youtube.com/nessmudkipz

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:53 am

NessMudkip wrote:The podcast is out now, and if you skip to around 11:58, you can hear the my question and the answer.

http://www.mangauk.com/podcast/11-manga ... ber-12.mp3
Interesting stuff. More announcements about Dragon Ball Kai from Toei soon? Maybe we don't have to wait as long for an announcement as we think or maybe it will just be Toei announcing the new Licensee aka the company producing Ocean Kai. It looks like Manga have to get the orange bricks out first before making an announcement on distribution rights.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:50 am

Any news from Toei would probably be the Boo Arc, no? If they were going to release it re-dubbed, wouldn't that be an announcement by Ocean? Since the Orange Bricks are the FUNimation dub, it doesn't really seem likely that Kai would be handled differently.

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:56 am

batistabus wrote:Any news from Toei would probably be the Boo Arc, no? If they were going to release it re-dubbed, wouldn't that be an announcement by Ocean? Since the Orange Bricks are the FUNimation dub, it doesn't really seem likely that Kai would be handled differently.
Ocean Productions are only the dubbing company so they will not be making any announcements. The rights holders in the UK would be the ones to announce anything. However Toei were the ones that first announced officially that Manga Entertainment had acquired the rights to the orange bricks via their website, so maybe something similar will happen.

NessMudkip
Beyond Newbie

Post by NessMudkip » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:47 pm

Well... with recent news it seems we found out what that "announcement from Toei" was! I reckon MangaUK were holding off until the Buu saga announcement to announce anything related to Kai.