Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu May 03, 2012 6:23 pm

I always thought Chris Ayres' Freeza sounded mainly like a man, with a touch of androgyny. Which is all still in line with his character.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Son Satan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Satan » Sat May 05, 2012 10:43 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:I always thought Chris Ayres' Freeza sounded mainly like a man, with a touch of androgyny. Which is all still in line with his character.
Me too. Even though Nakao was very obviously a male voice, he did it in a way where it seemed like it was more the voice of a ...masculine alien.
DanielGClapp wrote:Every time my dad sees anything anime, he always say "When are these goddam Japs gonna learn how to draw?".

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat May 05, 2012 11:26 pm

If Dragon Ball Kai Ocean were real they would have announced it some time ago already, it's passed far too much time and still nothing, so 'Ocean Kai' probably doesn't exist.

I'd like to have Peter Kelamis back as Son Goku, and the rest of the Ocean cast, but it's just a dream.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat May 05, 2012 11:43 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:If Dragon Ball Kai Ocean were real they would have announced it some time ago already...
It depends on who you mean by "they." Because Scott McNeil (the Ocean voice actor for Piccolo) flat-out said, "Screw the NDA*, we're doing Dragon Ball Kai."

*NDA: Non-Disclosure Agreement.
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Sun May 06, 2012 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat May 05, 2012 11:52 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UDd7vJkfVE - posted 2 months ago

Well, at least they must have episode 01 finished by now, which would be enough to feed the fans until new Ocean Kai cast dub episodes were to be broadcast.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat May 05, 2012 11:56 pm

Perhaps they're just waiting to finish the whole thing so it isn't so rushed like the later dub.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:04 am

Yay! I'm looking forward for the Ocean DBZKai dub!

I wonder if they will dub the songs....
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:15 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I wonder if they will dub the songs....
Probably not knowing Ocean they'll more than likely create their own songs for their Kai dub.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun May 06, 2012 12:41 am

Well, I'll be.

I wonder if it's taking so long because they're busy making original music for it. (Shudder.)
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:44 am

penguintruth wrote:Well, I'll be.

I wonder if it's taking so long because they're busy making original music for it. (Shudder.)
Well, Sean Schemmel did start the rumor of Ocean Kai and say they were replacing the music...

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun May 06, 2012 12:49 am

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:Well, I'll be.

Well, Sean Schemmel did start the rumor of Ocean Kai and say they were replacing the music...
I thought it was Kirby Morrow who said there was going to be an Ocean Kai?

Speaking of Morrow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirby_Morrow

Kirby Morrow as Trunks? Ocean Kai in 2012? Nice try Wikipedia.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Sun May 06, 2012 1:02 am

HA. Well, he'd be a better fit for Trunks than Goku.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun May 06, 2012 1:10 am

I feel like I saw that video months ago. I distinctly remember that panel because IIRC it was revealed that of that group of voice actors only Scott is able to do voice acting as a full time job and support himself.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Sun May 06, 2012 7:43 am

superrayman3 wrote:
Probably not knowing Ocean they'll more than likely create their own songs for their Kai dub.
Yet, if Kirby Morrow's word is anything to go by, they seek to have a more authentic version of Kai. Why would they change the music now, even with how the plagiarism in the Yamamoto score was handled by Toei and Funi, since that sort of thing is a Dark Age practice?
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun May 06, 2012 11:51 am

Hades wrote:
superrayman3 wrote:
Yet, if Kirby Morrow's word is anything to go by, they seek to have a more authentic version of Kai. Why would they change the music now, even with how the plagiarism in the Yamamoto score was handled by Toei and Funi, since that sort of thing is a Dark Age practice?
Well, let's not take things out of context. He said that the producers said he sounded "too cool" for Goku. Fans have interpreted that to mean that they're going for a more authentic version (and I certainly hope that's the case), but that's not a guarantee.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun May 06, 2012 12:07 pm

Kirby Morrow's video was upload one year ago already but still of the few who've informed the fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIkDTE-yvsk

It will be aired in English speaking countries/areas, Canada and Europe (UK, Netherlands, Malta, Gibraltar, Jerse).

Thank God Kirby Morrow was 'too cool' to be Son Goku, I don't know if they've picked Peter Kelamis (or Ian Corlett), but I sure hope so!
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun May 06, 2012 1:41 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UDd7vJkfVE - posted 2 months ago

Well, at least they must have episode 01 finished by now, which would be enough to feed the fans until new Ocean Kai cast dub episodes were to be broadcast.
I knew I saw that video before, it was posted here in December.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Sun May 06, 2012 5:46 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:It will be aired in English speaking countries/areas, Canada and Europe (UK, Netherlands, Malta, Gibraltar, Jerse).
That's the Westwood dub for you! Same dub who aired DB/Z/GT. I hope the opening and ending will remain intact.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun May 06, 2012 6:55 pm

One of the things I noted earlier is that all of the English-speaking countries (which is to say a country whose first language is English) that have received an English dub of Kai on TV...have been the same ones who aired FUNimation's dub of DBZ, and they're using FUNimation's dub of Kai. Similarly, all of the English-speaking countries who have NOT received an English dub of Kai on TV are the countries who aired the Ocean/Westwood dub of DBZ. A coincidence? Possible, but I doubt it. I'm betting that this is precisely because they're waiting on an Ocean dub of Kai.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun May 06, 2012 8:14 pm

Still, I wonder if it will have a DVD/Blu-Ray release.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?