Have I been pronouncing "Broli" wrong?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SpaceKappa
Regular

Have I been pronouncing "Broli" wrong?

Post by SpaceKappa » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:31 am

I always thought his name was pronounced "brawl-ee", like "broccoli" without the c sound. It wasn't until using him in the tournament mode of Budokai 3 where they called him "Bro-lee," like calling someone your bro. I mean, I guess going by Japanese phonetics FUNi trumped me on this one (which gives me great pain), but going punwise my way makes sense. Which way is right? Everyone I've known has always called him "Brawl-ee."
Last edited by SpaceKappa on Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:52 am

It seems you've been pronouncing it wrong all this time then. I've always pronounced his name as "Bro-lee", long before the movie was ever dubbed. That's the way it's pronounced in the original version too (but it sounds more like "Burouri")

If it makes you feel any better, my dad pronounces it "Braw-lee" too, and sometimes "Broil-ee".

NeverRamza
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeverRamza » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:58 am

Just broke out the damn tape collection and yes, Goku and Vegeta are telling me it's Burouri. If you're going to really Americanize the pronounciation, it would almost certainly be Broil-ee (like broccoli without the c as the original poster said). I think the Budokai 3 got it wrong... I'll have to check out my friend's copy next time I'm over at his place).

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:59 am

Yes, I've never heard it pronounced "Braw-ly", only "Bro-ly", or "Burori", by real die hards.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:41 am

I was actually talking about this with Mike some weeks ago in IRC. I've always used "Brawl-ee" as that's what seemed right via the pun, but acorrding to Mike FUNi got it right, and it is "Bro-lee" For a while "Bro-lee" just sounded to funky for me but now I've found myself switching between the two... I'll probably end up using "Bro-lee" eventually...
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:43 am

Huh. Well, I've honestly never head anyone say "Bro-lee" until Budokai 3. I remember even reading an EGM about 10 years ago with someone sending in letter art of Gokuu and Broli, and he even wrote the name out as "Brawly." Which I still think sounds cooler, but what're you gonna do.

SuperFusion
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperFusion » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:47 am

Coulda swore it was Brolly. Least that's what my tapes say. =/

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:50 am

The katakana is "bu - ro - ri". I'm hoping we all know how to pronounce romanized Japanese. If not, in this case, it's:

boo - roh - ree

That's the way it's said in Japanese, and that's "the" correct way to say it according to such. Yes, it's a long "O" sound.

(Reminds me of Luffy's name... it's pronounced "loo - fee" in Japanese, yet some fans insist upon saying "luh - fee"... or even Naruto, which people say aloud "nuh - ROO - to"... we're all watching the same show, so listen to the damn dialogue!!!)

Now, depending upon where you live and how you speak, our pronounciation of "broccoli" can be anywhere in between "broh - colli" and "braw - colli". The way I speak it aloud kinda falls in between. It's kinda like the Japanese pronounciation of their "r"-syllable sounds, which falls between an "R" and an "L" and a "D".

The spelling of "Brawley" is just way off, no matter if you're taking spelling or pronounciation into consideration. We go with "Broli" because it somewhat infers the pun a little better (taking the "i" from "broccoli" instead of a "y").

Hopefully that makes a little sense... :?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:20 pm

Reminds me of people saying "suh-koo-ruh" with emphasis on "koo" instead of "Sah-koo-rah" with emphasis on "sah."

Well, I'm not above admitting I'm wrong, it's just "bro-lee" is going to be so hard to get used to.

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:03 pm

At first I thought it was like "Braw-li". But then again, some people pronounce broccoli like "braw-clee". I'm wondering if the name itself is a pun on it? It wouldn't surprise me, since most of the characters' names are puns from food or undergarments.
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:15 pm

Mattias wrote:I'm wondering if the name itself is a pun on it?
Yes... yes, that's the whole joke :). Kame-Sen'nin even cracks that joke *in* the movie! ^_~
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:16 pm

Well, keeping in mind the Japanese pronunciation, I don't think "brawl-ee" is too far off, at least with "broccoli" in mind.

After all, the pun is basically:

broccoli

The way the kana works, it's the first O and not the second that is represented in Broli's name. So in an anglicized setting, the "bro" in "Broli" should be pronounced the same as you pronounce the "bro" in "Broccoli". That happens to be a short O for me, like "brock uh lee". But on the other hand, the Japanese pronunciation also has its own merit and can't really be discredited, either.

So basically, either is correct, IMO.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:11 pm

Mizugi wrote:Reminds me of people saying "suh-koo-ruh" with emphasis on "koo" instead of "Sah-koo-rah" with emphasis on "sah."

Well, I'm not above admitting I'm wrong, it's just "bro-lee" is going to be so hard to get used to.
I haven't seen the Naruto anime yet, but I pronounced Sakura's name, "suh-koo-ruh" as well. Though that comes from my first time hearing that name pronounced as such was from an episode from the American "Street Fighter" cartoon. Given as that show also pronounced Ryu's name the way most American non-otaku/non-anime SF fans do, ("ry-yoo" instead of "ree-oo") I'm really not surprised.

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:27 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Mattias wrote:I'm wondering if the name itself is a pun on it?
Yes... yes, that's the whole joke :). Kame-Sen'nin even cracks that joke *in* the movie! ^_~
I've only seen the first five. >_>
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:53 pm

VegettoEX wrote: (Reminds me of Luffy's name... it's pronounced "loo - fee" in Japanese, yet some fans insist upon saying "luh - fee"

Sorry to go off-topic but what's with Luffy's name? Why is it pronounced "loo-fee" if there are two Fs? Wouldn't it get pronounced "luhf-fee" at worst?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:25 am

I've always pronounced it "brallee" myself. Even though I saw the japanese version a while ago, I haven't gotten used to Burori (for some reason it feels more natural to pronounce an i between to r's like in Kuririn than it does with Brolli's "o" for me) Burori feels like it takes too long to say so I just sorta shorten it (using the "bra" from how I prounounce "broccolli") when I say his name.

I've never heard "BRO-li" until the Budoukai game and the dub of the movie came out.
The guy at suncoast even pronounced it with "Bro" ^_^;;

It does partially depend on where you live I think.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:28 am

Dayspring wrote:Sorry to go off-topic but what's with Luffy's name? Why is it pronounced "loo-fee" if there are two Fs? Wouldn't it get pronounced "luhf-fee" at worst?
Because the Englsh spelling of the name is arbitrary and unrelated to how it's pronounced? :P
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:02 am

Yeah, but isn't Luffy's name a pun on the sailor word ''luff'', which is in fact pronounced as its written? Wouldn't that mean the way ''Luffy'' is pronounced is technically wrong?

(Oh l00rdz the 0ffT0opicn3z!!)
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:11 pm

Dai wrote:Yeah, but isn't Luffy's name a pun on the sailor word ''luff'', which is in fact pronounced as its written? Wouldn't that mean the way ''Luffy'' is pronounced is technically wrong?

(Oh l00rdz the 0ffT0opicn3z!!)
Perhaps, but that doesn't change how "Luffy" is pronounced.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:32 pm

I'm not saying that, though. All I'm saying is that no matter how incorrect, I can sort of see some reasoning behind the fact some fans choose to pronounce it ''luh-fee''. It makes me think Oda might have made a mistake.
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.