Japanese numbers for androids

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:09 pm

Well, ya got me Zacko! Ya this whole time I've been lying to you guys. I'm really called Bart Simpson! It's just it's *sniff* so embarassing! Being a female with the name Bart Simpson! :cry: :wink:

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:33 pm

You're telling me. I mean, that's not even a real guy's name.

Oops, I mean... there, there... it's okay, Bart.

number18
Beyond Newbie

Post by number18 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:48 pm

sailorspazz wrote:
I thought if the letter 'r' appears in a word, the vowel is stretched out rather than making the next consonent doubled, i.e. Mark would be "ma-a-ku' rather than 'ma-k-ku' As for how to say "Jake," it's seems pretty odd to have an extended vowel AND a doubled consonent right in a row. I'm not fluent in Japanese, but I can't seem to think of a word that has that combination. I would think it's probably je-e-ku or je-i-ku (my real name is Stacey, and my Japanese teachers don't seem to care either way whether I write it 'su-te-i-shi-i' or 'su-te-e-shi-i', though I usually go for the lazier extending the vowel way ^_^)
Ya know, about "Mark" I think you're right and I'm wrong. I never took a formal Japanese class, and that is probably the "rule" for R sounds like in Mark. Of course, there is always the word Berserk, which one would imagine to be spelled something like be-ru-saa-ku, but instead it's spelled with both Rs: be-ru-se-ru-ku. At least for Kentaro Miura's comic, Berserk. I wonder if it's personal preference or what.

As for Jake, I think you DO need the double consonant and long vowel. I am actually not considering it a long vowel, since JE and JEI are two different sounds (at least I assume they are). I know using the I after the E is interchangeable with the double E sound, but in the case of Jake, I think the I is needed. Maybe Jeiiku could suffice instead of the double consonant. I keep saying the word aloud though, and it seems funny, like the vowel is too long. :/ Then again, my name, Maggie, is Magii.
[size=75]"Are we gonna continue?"
"Of course."
"That's the spirit."

[url=http://www.lovelycyborg.com/]Lovely Cyborg[/url][/size]