Kai Episode 85 (12 December 2010)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Kai Episode 85 (12 December 2010)

Post by RazorX » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:39 pm

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 85. Originally broadcast 12 December 2010.

破られた休息!防衛軍、セルに総攻撃
Yaburareta Kyūsoku! Bōeigun, Seru ni Sōkougeki
An Interrupted Rest! The Self-Defense Army, Launches a General Offensive Against Cell

----------------------------------------------------------------
This Episode featured Cell's insert song, which was played when Cell attacked the military.

TripleRach

Re: Kai Episode 85 (12th December 2010)

Post by TripleRach » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:34 pm

A ton of filler this week, but at least they kept Kuririn throwing a rock at Gokuu. Also had two insert songs, and I think Satan appears next week?
-Rachel

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:40 pm

Yeah, Mr. Satan appears next week. I wonder if we'll have to wait until the episode airs or if the site will update with his actor...?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:48 pm

Glad to see a lot of filler was kept, I hope Toei keep Gohan's birthday and both of Tao Pai Pai's appearances.

Missed the driving flashback, really wish they'd kept the driving episode in the Android saga.

They played a new musical piece and during the break an advertisement for the new Dragon Ball DS game was shown, in motion. It looks quite good.
TripleRach wrote:Also had two insert songs
I thought the first one was an insert song as well but it was quite short, it may have been there for the car radio.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:09 pm

RazorX wrote:Glad to see a lot of filler was kept, I hope Toei keep Gohan's birthday and both of Tao Pai Pai's appearances.
They won't. Next episode includes the beginning of the Cell Games.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:20 pm

Shame, but Toei seem to be progressively leaving more filler in as the episodes progress. I think they'll leave the episode where Hercule's students try to fight Cell. It will probably be too difficult to cut around them during the entire Cell Games.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:34 pm

RazorX wrote:but Toei seem to be progressively leaving more filler in as the episodes progress.
Not at all, it all comes down to what the editors decide best factor the pacing and or filler that adds to a scene or character rather than just waste time. Either way the "two episodes in one" is pretty consistent in Kai and I'm happy for it.

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:00 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
RazorX wrote:but Toei seem to be progressively leaving more filler in as the episodes progress.
Not at all, it all comes down to what the editors decide best factor the pacing and or filler that adds to a scene or character rather than just waste time. Either way the "two episodes in one" is pretty consistent in Kai and I'm happy for it.
Actually yes. Some episodes have more filler than others. As the series progressed, Toei realised they didn't need to cut so much filler to make Kai a success.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:18 pm

RazorX wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:
Actually yes. Some episodes have more filler than others. As the series progressed, Toei realised they didn't need to cut so much filler to make Kai a success.
It's not about leaving in filler for the sake of leaving in filler, it's about making a smooth transition from plot point to plot point. The beginning of Kai lacked a lot of that. This (and the next episode) are timed to get all of the 'ten day break' arc material out in a smooth manner.
She/Her
bisexual milf

BobZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BobZ » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:08 am

Adamant wrote:
RazorX wrote:Glad to see a lot of filler was kept, I hope Toei keep Gohan's birthday and both of Tao Pai Pai's appearances.
They won't. Next episode includes the beginning of the Cell Games.
Finally.

I was hoping that before the end of the year they would have finished with the Cell Games saga, so I can watch it in its entirety at the end of the holiday season.
Oh well, I'm just going to have to wait a bit longer I guess. :)

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:07 am

Awesome they used the Cell insert song.
Kai has been destroying 'Z' musically as of late.

As for filler, they have been keeping as much as they ever did.
To flesh out the scenes while still allowing the plot to progress at a decent pace.

New Mr Satan next episode, I assume they will get the guy who voiced him in the recent game to reprise his role.
Also Cell Games begins!

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:56 am

If they are planning in add Trunks' future special resume (like they did with Bardock) the episode after the next should be a good time to do it.

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:19 am

I get the pacing issue, but the filler between the Cell Games announcement and the start of the fighting was some of the worst in the series' history in my opinion. Worse than Garlic Jr. I'd rather have Toei excise it all, but again, I understand that they need to keep some in. The manga is a bit too quick in this time period. Kai is a happy medium, I suppose.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:22 am

I honestly don't mind these kind of fillers, which basically only extend manga scenes. But all those that are completely independent should be cut.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:12 pm

xzero wrote:the filler between the Cell Games announcement and the start of the fighting was some of the worst in the series' history in my opinion. Worse than Garlic Jr.
Wh- What? How can there be any worse filler than the Garlic Jr. arc? How can filler episodes of pure relaxation, birthday cakes and hanging out with your friends be worse than... than ten episodes of bullshit with the purpose of gathering twelve year olds on the internet to discuss whether Y is relatively stronger than X and yield an inconsistent list of ''powerlevels''?

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:43 pm

TripleRach wrote:but at least they kept Kuririn throwing a rock at Gokuu.
I'm was actually kinda surprised when Goku didn't said something like "Kuso", "Baka", or "Orokana kodomo" to Kuririn.

The title for next episode is "A New God!
The Dragonballs are Finally Revived"

Ashy-kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashy-kun » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Forgive me for not remembering the scene you're on about, but why exactly do you think Gokuu would use the exact words "A foolish child" about Kurilin?
Your freelance, amateur translator, with over a year's worth of self-taught experience. Once an honorary member of Team Kinniku, and a man with his work shown in various places here and there. If you have a song you'd like me to look over, I'll happily look it over and see if I can translate it for you.

Most Recent Song Added to Ashy-kun's Song Translation Topic: Yoake no Kodomo-tachi (Translated: The Children of the Dawn)

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:19 pm

I loved that insert song when Cell was destroying the army. Is it completely new, or did it previously appear in the original anime?

Did anybody else get a major Terminator vibe from the music that was playing when Piccolo came out of the RoSaT?

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:33 am

^ I haven't seen the Terminator, sorry.

The other two insert songs were so "thrown in at the last minute''... :lol:
Trunks stole all the luck in the world.

Anyway, Goku should have used IT to save those people. He deserved that rock.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:10 am

I think the first song (on the radio) was My 18th Magic. The other was definitely the Cell theme.
She/Her
bisexual milf