Images of 28th Budokai finalists

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Images of 28th Budokai finalists

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:49 pm

Please could someone provide individual images of the finalists at the 28th Tenka'ichi Budokai, on that one page?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Images of 28th Budokai finalists

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:50 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Please could someone provide individual images of the finalists at the 28th Tenka'ichi Budokai, on that one page?
Like my avatar? :P

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:52 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:Please could someone provide individual images of the finalists at the 28th Tenka'ichi Budokai, on that one page?
Like my avatar? :P
Yeah, exactly. :)
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:08 pm

Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:32 pm

What language has that guy named as "homo"?!

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:08 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:What language has that guy named as "homo"?!
90% sure it is Norwegian.
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:46 am

I don't care what anyone says, I like Goten's haircut. :P
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

kaialone
Regular

Post by kaialone » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:15 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:I don't care what anyone says, I like Goten's haircut. :P
There are people who DONT like it D: ?
-凯

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:28 am

DbgtFO, does "homo" have a different or less derogatory meaning in Danish?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:01 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:DbgtFO, does "homo" have a different or less derogatory meaning in Danish?
If it has a less derogatory meaning?
I really don't know, since it's not often I hear that word in conversations anymore(since it was mostly back in school, that it was a way to really insult one another).
Searching for some articles about it, I found that it's usually used in a derogatory way to describe homosexual persons, especially men.

1. http://ordnet.dk/ddo/ordbog?query=homo
Of course I don't expect you to understand any of it, but the first one basically says: That the word "homo" is an abbreviation of the word "homofil" the "fil" part coming from the greek suffix phil/phile etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/-phil-.
It also says that homo is often used in a derogatory manner and that it's informal.

2. http://community.dr.dk/default.ns?strIt ... &orderby=1
The second one is basically a thread about accepted terms about Homosexual men, which are used in a derogatory manner, instead of being used the way they originally were meant to. They also include "homo" as a word, that isn't really supposed to be a derogatory term, so I guess that kinda answers your question?
And no more Off-Topicness from me!

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:32 am

dbgtFO wrote: 1. http://ordnet.dk/ddo/ordbog?query=homo
Of course I don't expect you to understand any of it, but the first one basically says: That the word "homo" is an abbreviation of the word "homofil" the "fil" part coming from the greek suffix phil/phile etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/-phil-.
It also says that homo is often used in a derogatory manner and that it's informal.
So, basically the same as English (although "homophile" isn't used in English anymore). Thanks for your explanation. I just found it weird that the translators flat out called the character "homosexual", instead of leaving his name in Japanese.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:36 am

...becuse it's a translation?

But yeah, calling someone "homo" in Danish is equivalent to calling them "gay" in English. It's not derogatory in itself, but can be used in such a manner.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:34 am

Adamant wrote:...becuse it's a translation?
In that case, they didn't do it right.

To expand a bit on my previous post, it just feels weird to me that they would boldy call him a homosexual. The original version insinuates it (by playing on the word otokozuki), but doesn't flat out say it. To me, it would be like them calling Adjutant Black a negro.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:54 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:The original version insinuates it (by playing on the word otokozuki), but doesn't flat out say it.
In Japanese, Otokosuki flat-out means "boy-crazy". It's just not as blatant in English because it's left untranslated (plus, imagine how many homophobic mothers would complain if FUNi had included a character called "Boy-Crazy"?). "Homo" is probably just as offensive as what Toriyama named him.

And the very reason Toriyama gave Adjutant Black his name was because...well, he's black.

Besides, it's not as if Toriyama is someone scared of stereotypes. Just look at General Blue, Otokosuki, Namu and all the other black people in Dragon Ball. They all play on stereotypes that are potentially offensive.
kaialone wrote:
Kingdom Heartless wrote:I don't care what anyone says, I like Goten's haircut. :P
There are people who DONT like it D: ?
Some people don't like Goten's haircut because it looks too similar to Saiyan arc Yamcha's. As if all of Gohan's, of for that matter, a lot of other characters' haircuts were original... :roll:

And @dbgtFO: Thanks! :)
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Titan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Titan » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:02 am

I always thought Otokosuki was a way to make fun of Otokojuku,ie, the headmaster of the school named Heihachi Edajima.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:07 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote:In Japanese, Otokosuki flat-out means "boy-crazy". It's just not as blatant in English because it's left untranslated (plus, imagine how many homophobic mothers would complain if FUNi had included a character called "Boy-Crazy"?). "Homo" is probably just as offensive as what Toriyama did.
No. Otokozuki means "boy-crazy", otokosukii is the character's name.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:13 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Adamant wrote:...becuse it's a translation?
In that case, they didn't do it right.
They changed it to a Danish "name" that would give the same implication, rather than leaving in something very few readers would understand.

What did Viz do, anyway? Keep it as "Otokosuki"? Call him "Mr. Gay"?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:15 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:In Japanese, Otokosuki flat-out means "boy-crazy". It's just not as blatant in English because it's left untranslated (plus, imagine how many homophobic mothers would complain if FUNi had included a character called "Boy-Crazy"?). "Homo" is probably just as offensive as what Toriyama did.
No. Otokozuki means "boy-crazy", otokosukii is the character's name.
They're basically the same. Just like "Freeza" is basically the same as "freezer", only with a different spelling. A Japanese reader would look at that and see that the character's name is "boy-crazy", coupled with his stereotypical homosexual appearance, and get that he's gay. There would be no difference whether he was named "boy-crazy" or "homo".
Adamant wrote:What did Viz do, anyway? Keep it as "Otokosuki"?
Yes.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:15 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote:And @dbgtFO: Thanks! :)
You're welcome 8)
Adamant wrote:What did Viz do, anyway? Keep it as "Otokosuki"?
Yep, that's what they did.