What do you think of Kamesennin?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AoiKageNoChikara
Beyond Newbie

What do you think of Kamesennin?

Post by AoiKageNoChikara » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:49 am

As the Title Says, do you think Roshi is just a random pervy old man or a great master?

In my Opinion He can be both, when in his normal personality he's worthy to be called "Miroku's Grandpa" IMO, And he does take any chance to grab some good stuff LOL.

But he can also be a very caring and loving Master, He did beat up his pupils to a pulp but he even tried to give them basic knowledge (especially goku) feed them and even have them in His house, not only that. He got them clothing both Uniform and Formal Wear and let's remember he lived hundreds of years on his island and he didn't even give it a second thought on moving to train them. after beign Retired for some time he even disguised himself to fight against his pupils so They didn't get cocky for winning so easily (If Roshi weren't there the Tournament would have been easily torn apart by Goku and Krillin).

And last but not least let's remember the old man sometimes know when to stop his roshiness, Like when Yamcha Died and he hugged bulma and tried to confort her. He was really worried about her and even offered to Drive the Airship to the battle field (to what bulma later kindly refused) he didn't even touch her again until after the Namek saga (I Think).

One but thing BTW, he let krillin live with his Wife on Kamehouse Right? Now what master would do that?
Roshi Rulz Nuff Said

Zarathustra
Beyond Newbie

Re: What do you Think of Kamesennin?

Post by Zarathustra » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:20 am

My favourite main character from the Dragon Ball anime. He provides me with some great laughs, and he's a good fighter too :lol:

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Re: What do you think of Kamesennin?

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:06 pm

A brilliant, quirky guy with lots of character, who provided both knowledge and entertaining battles. And his perverted moments are very funny.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:27 pm

My favorite old mentor-type character. From any series.

I wish he would've stayed relevant throughout the series. Even more so than Yamcha or Tenshinhan tbh.

The first time he did the Kamehameha was epic.

kaialone
Regular

Post by kaialone » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:29 pm

I like him XD He is funny and I like the role he plays in DB as the mentor of Goku and Krillin.He is also nice for etting Krillin live at his place for all this time
-凯

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Michsi wrote:I wish he would've stayed relevant throughout the series. Even more so than Yamcha or Tenshinhan tbh.
Well, I saw it coming. Kame-sennin had realized that a new generation of warriors had come, after fighting Tenshinhan. He realized that Goku and Tenshinhan had surpassed him, and his other students soon will too. He realized that his students weren't foolish enough to get complacent after winning the Budokai and that there was no place for an old man, who'd long ago hit his prime, to fight against stronger evils.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:36 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Michsi wrote:I wish he would've stayed relevant throughout the series. Even more so than Yamcha or Tenshinhan tbh.
Well, I saw it coming. Kame-sennin had realized that a new generation of warriors had come, after fighting Tenshinhan. He realized that Goku and Tenshinhan had surpassed him, and his other students soon will too. He realized that his students weren't foolish enough to get complacent after winning the Budokai and that there was no place for an old man, who'd long ago hit his prime, to fight against stronger evils.
Yeah, I know. That's what these type of characters are there for. Still, his greatest/bravest moment in the series was after he "stepped down", facing old king Piccolo

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:43 pm

Michsi wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Yeah, I know. That's what these type of characters are there for. Still, his greatest/bravest moment in the series was after he "stepped down", facing old king Piccolo
I know. I just don't think he should've stayed relevant, since it would go against what was meant to happen in the story.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:11 pm

Perhaps the character most representative of Dragon Ball's tone, next to Goku.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:19 pm

Cipher wrote:Perhaps the character most representative of Dragon Ball's tone, next to Goku.
Agreed.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:38 pm

For a hermit, he wasn't very solitary.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:08 pm

Son_Gohan wrote:For a hermit, he wasn't very solitary.
Isn't the correct translation "Turtle Sage"?

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:18 pm

@fullpowerdbz.com

Kamesennin, Master Roshi......old dude with tha stick. I found him funny most of the time and saw some pretty cool scenes of him too. I also think he represents Dragon ball the most.

I only have one DBZ manga and this guy just sports the cover like a pro. :mrgreen:

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:25 pm

Kame Sennin, IMO, represents a bygone age of warriors that protected the Earth in days past. He help protect the Earth against Piccolo Daimao in his younger days, and that haunted him throughout the years. And about him being a pervert, I mean if you live for several centuries and never got a chance to settle down with someone, what else are you gonna do? :roll:
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:35 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Isn't the correct translation "Turtle Sage"?
Both sage and hermit seem like common translations of sennin as far as I've seen. I don't think one's more correct than the other. If you look at the standard description of a sennin itself, you might even say they're a sage who lives as a hermit.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

KakaR0T
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KakaR0T » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:42 pm

He is a great character!

He does make me laugh a lot. The best was when Lunch came to the island and he had everyone wear ladies' underwear (including himself lol). And when Lunch says "this looks like underwear" and he says "no, it's turtle hermit fighting armor" I must have laughed for 5 minutes straight.

As Jackie Chun, he's pretty badass. With the possible exception of Goku, he remains calm and confident throughout all of his fights.

And yes, he can also be serious. Pretty much throughout the whole King Piccolo saga, it was like a side of Roshi that I had never seen before.

I want to be like him when I get to be his age.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:24 am

Bussani wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:Isn't the correct translation "Turtle Sage"?
Both sage and hermit seem like common translations of sennin as far as I've seen. I don't think one's more correct than the other. If you look at the standard description of a sennin itself, you might even say they're a sage who lives as a hermit.
Oh, OK. So "hermit" isn't any less correct than "sage" after all. But I think "sage" makes him sound more like a wise man.

And yeah, technically, Kame-sennin could still count as a "hermit". At the beginning, he did live alone with a turtle on a little island.

CatouttaHell
Advanced Regular

Post by CatouttaHell » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:38 pm

He's one of my favourite characters in the series; I love how he can be a hilarious perverted old man and a dead serious, wise master. His last stand against Piccolo Daimao was one of the best moments in the whole series IMO.
KakaR0T wrote:I want to be like him when I get to be his age.
You expect to live to be over 300 years old?
Rocketman wrote:Where you born unable to understand jokes or is this the result of years of hard training?

Namekjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namekjin » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:46 pm

P.P. (Powerful Pervert) :lol:
"This is gonna be easier than coloring inside the lines!" - Vegeta
"OVER 9000!" - Vegeta
"YOU'LL NEVER ESCAPE....MY WRATH!!!" - Vegeta
Nobody wrote : The Season Sets are superior in every way!!!

AoiKageNoChikara
Beyond Newbie

Post by AoiKageNoChikara » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:52 pm

CatouttaHell wrote:He's one of my favourite characters in the series; I love how he can be a hilarious perverted old man and a dead serious, wise master. His last stand against Piccolo Daimao was one of the best moments in the whole series IMO.
KakaR0T wrote:I want to be like him when I get to be his age.
You expect to live to be over 300 years old?
Definitely Right about that, His speech in the funimation version is actually pretty good, Imo better than the japanese, the japanese was cool, but I dunno The english one is kinda a lil bit poetic I mean not a wannabe poetic like the hope of the universe crap, and that momment oh man, Definitely Made roshi my favorite perverted Old man and I was just recovering of the awesomness of Roshi vs Tien :lol: