Japan Earthquake Magnitude 8.9

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Raithos
Advanced Regular

Japan Earthquake Magnitude 8.9

Post by Raithos » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:23 am

I didn't know where else to post this but I believe it is relevant. This is currently occurring but I thought everyone here should know since this affects Japan. Apparently a Magnitude 8.9 Earthquake has hit it's northern areas, causing a series of aftershocks and mini tsunamis that are tearing up the land. I got awakened by my mother screaming at 2 in the morning to see this on the news. And it actually looks pretty damn bad.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/wor ... le1938072/

I don't have a crazy amount of information on it yet, nor do I have a videos etc for you. Just turn on the news and I'm sure you're bound to see it.

I hope the people up there are alright, wonder what this spells for the anime industry...
Otaku at heart.
Come visit me and my collection here!

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Japan Earthquake Magnitude 8.9

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:27 am

Yeah, I'm watching it on channel 7 as I type. It's looking really bad.
-Joey

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:34 am

I'm trying to get some Japanese streaming TV to see the coverage, but KeyHole isn't working for me.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:36 am

penguintruth wrote:I'm trying to get some Japanese streaming TV to see the coverage, but KeyHole isn't working for me.
Turn on CNN.
-Joey

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:36 am

penguintruth wrote:I'm trying to get some Japanese streaming TV to see the coverage, but KeyHole isn't working for me.
Al-Jareeza is your friend.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:37 am

This is terrifying. I hope there aren't any casualties.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:39 am

I hadn't heard about this till a few hours ago, I hope the people over there are doing okay.

I've already had to experience two earthquakes myself in my hometown (Christchurch, NZ), one on September 4th last year with a magnitude of 7.1 and two weeks ago with a magnitude of 6.3 but very shallow, only 5km deep, so it must be hard.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:43 am

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:
Turn on CNN.
But... their coverage won't have a lot of lemony energy drink commercials!
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:00 am

I am okay. That was the strongest earthquake I've ever experienced. I couldn't even stand. I am now worried about the broadcast of the next episode of Kai since it includes an earth-shaking scene. There is a possibility that it will be canceled.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:03 am

kei17 wrote:I am okay. That was the strongest earthquake I've ever experienced. I couldn't even stand. I am now worried about the broadcast of the next episode of Kai since it includes an earth-shaking scene. There is a possibility that it will be canceled.
Well, obviously your safety is more important than an episode of a cartoon. Glad you're all right.

Can I get a Schemen?

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:06 am

Watching the broadcast now on TV ONE, it's insane.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:08 am

penguintruth wrote:
kei17 wrote:I am okay. That was the strongest earthquake I've ever experienced. I couldn't even stand. I am now worried about the broadcast of the next episode of Kai since it includes an earth-shaking scene. There is a possibility that it will be canceled.
Well, obviously your safety is more important than an episode of a cartoon. Glad you're all right.
Just tried to associate this with the general franchise discussion. :roll:

*edit: The company premise of Fuji TV now. Wow.

Last edited by kei17 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:12 am

kei17 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Just tried to associate this with the general franchise discussion. :roll:
Well, I think I speak for everyone when I say - I'm glad you're alright.
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:12 am

Yikes, i never thought about this.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:15 am

Watching the coverage on TV3 it's insane. They just finished flooding the news with the recent 6.3 in Christchurch...and now THIS! Not looking forward to the upcoming Wellington one! :(
Has 2012 become a reality? :shock:

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:19 am

Watching on CNN. Floods are spreading and oil refineries are going up in flames in the Ichihara area. It's just insane. I am not enjoying it one bit.
-Joey

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:23 am

The room is still shaking. Afterquakes again and again...

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:25 am

kei17 wrote:.... I am now worried about the broadcast of the next episode of Kai since it includes an earth-shaking scene. There is a possibility that it will be canceled.
They actually did something like that here in the USA after 9/11. They pulled an episode from the Great Saiyaman arc that had to do with a fire in a skyscraper.

Deity
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deity » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:28 am

Images of the water from the tsunami are impressive !

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:41 am

All the anime shows today are now canceled.

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
kei17 wrote:.... I am now worried about the broadcast of the next episode of Kai since it includes an earth-shaking scene. There is a possibility that it will be canceled.
They actually did something like that here in the USA after 9/11. They pulled an episode from the Great Saiyaman arc that had to do with a fire in a skyscraper.
That kind of cancellation often happens here, like School Days and When They Cry.