Sound effects out of synch in FUNi's dub?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SonEric84
Banned

Re: Sound effects out of synch in FUNi's dub?

Post by SonEric84 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:07 pm

ThunderPX wrote:No, I'm referring to this debacle.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. :?
Trans rights, now!

SSVegetto
Banned

Post by SSVegetto » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:38 am

Well, I noticed when I sync'd an English dub to the R2J video, ep per ep. I used the sound effects to do it. But then the lip syncing is off. Which ranged from 0.150 or 0.250 milliseconds. It's never 100% accurate.

I prefer that the audio is sync'd to the lips as accurately as possible. I count frames. I know that the sound effects are off by a little bit then, but it's hardly noticeable.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:02 am

SSVegetto wrote:I prefer that the audio is sync'd to the lips as accurately as possible. I count frames. I know that the sound effects are off by a little bit then, but it's hardly noticeable.
Yes, the Dragon Box errors are definitely unnoticable to casual viewers.
But, the Orange Bricks have a much greater problem, and was transfered to the Dragon Boxes. Therefore, our "definitive" collection has flaws, regardless of how we view it.
So mondo lame.

SSVegetto
Banned

Post by SSVegetto » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:11 am

GotenDaisuki wrote:
SSVegetto wrote:I prefer that the audio is sync'd to the lips as accurately as possible. I count frames. I know that the sound effects are off by a little bit then, but it's hardly noticeable.
Yes, the Dragon Box errors are definitely unnoticable to casual viewers.
But, the Orange Bricks have a much greater problem, and was transfered to the Dragon Boxes. Therefore, our "definitive" collection has flaws, regardless of how we view it.

For most of the DBZ eps I synced. I pulled off the audio from the Season Sets(Orange boxes), and sync'd them to the R2J Japanese Dragon Box, ep per ep.

So are you talking about the R1 Funi's Dragon Box? Or just the Orange Bricks themselves at a separate entity. I'm confused.

Orange Bricks to Funi R21 Dragon Boxes? Or are you just talking about the Orange Bricks have flaws separately? Because I used the Orange Brick stuff to make sure my R2J syncing was sync'd properly.

And I don't remember seeing the Orange Boxes having flaws. I'm kind of confused here.
What are you trying to do again?

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:18 am

SSVegetto wrote:For most of the DBZ eps I synced. I pulled off the audio from the Season Sets, and sync'd them to the R2J Japanese Dragon Box, ep per ep.

So are you talking about the R1 Funi's Dragon Box? Or just the Orange Bricks themselves at a separate entity. I'm confused.

Orange Bricks to Funi R21 Dragon Boxes? Or are you just talking about the Orange Bricks have flaws separately? Because I used the Orange Brick stuff to make sure my R2J syncing was sync'd properly.

And I don't remember seeing the Orange Boxes having flaws. I'm kind of confused here.
The FUNimation dub on the Orange Bricks had terrible sound effect synchronization errors. At least, in some cases they did. Since FUNimation used the exact same 5.1 track from the Orange Bricks to use on their Dragon Boxes, the synchronization errors found in those sets are now in our definitive release of the series, so FUNimation, to some extent, screwed up again with a dub.
The original Japanese and R1 Dragon Boxes both have the same sound effect sync error, but it is leagues less noticable than the errors on the Orange Bricks.
So mondo lame.

SSVegetto
Banned

Post by SSVegetto » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:32 am

GotenDaisuki wrote:
SSVegetto wrote:For most of the DBZ eps I synced. I pulled off the audio from the Season Sets, and sync'd them to the R2J Japanese Dragon Box, ep per ep.

The FUNimation dub on the Orange Bricks had terrible sound effect synchronization errors. At least, in some cases they did. Since FUNimation used the exact same 5.1 track from the Orange Bricks to use on their Dragon Boxes, the synchronization errors found in those sets are now in our definitive release of the series, so FUNimation, to some extent, screwed up again with a dub.
The original Japanese and R1 Dragon Boxes both have tha same sound effect sync error, but it is leagues less noticable than the errors on the Orange Bricks.
So from what I'm gathering is that the lip syncing on the Orange Bricks is okay. But the sound effects are off? Also from what I'm gathering, that Original Japanese Dragonbox also has bad sound effects syncing.

How bad is it for the Orange Bricks? The Orange Bricks for me isn't 100% quality anyways. The only benefit was to get the English audios and use them for the Dragonbox.

Also, what you are talking about. I think I remember doing this. I think there was one crazy episode that I synced that was like that. I think it maybe only a handful of episodes that are like that, but not all of them.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:16 am

SSVegetto wrote:How bad is it for the Orange Bricks?
It's not too bad, but it's definitely noticeable. Watch this scene of the Dragon Box with the dub and you'll see what I mean. To a casual viewer, it may not seem noticeable, but it's still a flaw.
So mondo lame.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:16 pm

Cipher wrote:I've noticed what kei17 pointed out, actually (assuming it applies to the Region 1 Dragon Boxes as well). However, I assumed that was how it originally was, with Japanese animation being more liberal about matching lip flaps than Western animation. I just couldn't imagine it was an actual error across all the sets.

But yeah. It's not unwatchable. But it's definitely noticeable.
I'm with Cipher here, I would notice it every once in a while, but since it wasn't unwatchable I just assumed that how it was.

Now that it's been pointed out I feel like it's something we should correct - if possible.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I watch my episodes from the harddrive. Is the entire audio track out-of-synch? Or just the sound effects on the R2 DVDs? And the claim is this exists on EACH episode? If this is true (and the difference is consistent) we could just apply an audio-offset. It wouldn't be THAT difficult to try and calculate a good offset value to use if we have some more clips of the original run.

I assume kei17 has some more original run clips?
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

takarajima
Beyond Newbie

Post by takarajima » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:15 am

Last edited by takarajima on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:45 pm

takarajima wrote:I'm very sorry to hear this problem.

I can contribute some GT and original (not Z) recorded from Animax, if they are helpful.
Upload some good long clips to MediaFire or something similar. I have DB and DBZ DBox, but not the GT DBox.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

takarajima
Beyond Newbie

Post by takarajima » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:51 pm

Last edited by takarajima on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:32 pm

Hate to necropost, but I finally got around to estimating that audio offset.

Based on the clips of the original broadcast people had posted and/or sent me, I calculate the R2 Dragon Box needs an audio adjustment of 0.36135 seconds (somewhere between 0.3610 & 0.3615 for certain, with 0.36135 being my best estimate). Apparently, sounds effects / voices / music are all off.

kei17 had linked to this clip: http://www.4shared.com/video/IIGFyue-/Z291.html
Here is the original DBox timing: http://www.mediafire.com/?hcwdmri38m31fv0
Here is the DBox clip with my offset: http://www.mediafire.com/?uj66jx9rw7ccrcl

You can notice it if you watch for the sound effects to match up with the punches in the above clips.

Here is another series I put up on YouTube, but it is a small clip from DB ep 122 (Goku vs. Piccolo): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jus6oZognMU

If you just watch episodes on a DVD player and TV, this might not do much good - if you rip the eps and watch them via PC, then the audio adjustment is easy to make.

Feedback and/or questions is welcome.

Edit: Does anyone have the original broadcast of DBZ 95 (Goku turns SSJ 1st time). I'm not convinced that calculated offset can be applied to every single episode uniformly. If I apply it to DBZ 95, the sounds appears to happen too soon, but I am confident of the number for DB 122.

Edit #2: After fooling around with it more and lining a few other things up on a frame basis, I feel more comfortable recommending an offset of 278 milliseconds (negative offset). After trying that out on a few episodes, it just feels better.
ect5150

xekon

Post by xekon » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:06 pm

Anyone know if the Funimation DVD Singles had this audio sync issue? I know the orange bricks had this issue and even the dragon boxes did to some extent, but what about the dragon ball z singles they were releasing at first?

I just realized the DVD Singles had the original cast Funimation Dub, and the orangebox has the recast and the audio sounds clearer, so i guess ill just stick with that.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:51 pm

I have all of the Level sets thus far, I will report back, but I don't think it's the case for them.
Also, that is just crazy to have the definitive release go bad on ya.

More reason to bring back the Level sets!
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

xekon

Post by xekon » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Yeah, I was pretty upset when they got suspended. I planned to buy all of the level sets.

They really did an Amazing job with the ones they put out so far.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:46 pm

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:
kei17 wrote:Why doesn't anyone here complain about the audio of the Japanese DBOXes that is completely out of synch in every episode throughout the entire DB series?
Probably because nobody here knew about that.
Yeah. I didn't really know any better. If it was a bit more off, I might've noticed.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:48 am

Even though this thread is a year and a bit old, one episode on the orange bricks (the one where Vegeta escapes Zarbon and Freeza, stealing the dragonballs) is missing the sound effects completely!

One thing I noticed in terms of synch issues is that around when Freeza transforms for the first time and blows up the island, his lip synch is off about one lip flap. It was noticeable before but on the third orange brick and beyond this issue remains and is never fixed; it's at its worse in brick three, four, five, and six.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:03 am

Attitudefan wrote:Even though this thread is a year and a bit old, one episode on the orange bricks (the one where Vegeta escapes Zarbon and Freeza, stealing the dragonballs) is missing the sound effects completely!
I just checked my copy of Season 2 and the episode, the SFX are still there.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:04 am

Gonstead wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:Even though this thread is a year and a bit old, one episode on the orange bricks (the one where Vegeta escapes Zarbon and Freeza, stealing the dragonballs) is missing the sound effects completely!
I think it is only missing in the broadcast version but is present with the Japanese BGM.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:05 am

Attitudefan wrote:
Gonstead wrote:
I think it is only missing in the broadcast version but is present with the Japanese BGM.
Broadcast, English 5.1 and Japanese all contain SFX in my copy.

Can you post a clip as an example?
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)