Kai Episode 96 (20 March 2011)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kei17
I Live Here

Re: Kai Episode 96 (20th March 2011)

Post by kei17 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:10 pm

kenisu3000 wrote:
SolarBlade52 wrote:Toei only has access to the released BGM
Is this confirmed at all? I did notice that they seemed to be using only released BGM (and what's more, only music from the BGM Collection at that), but how do we know Toei themselves only have access to what's been released on CD?

If that's the case, we BGM fans are in serious trouble. Depending on who does have access to the complete score, that would likely mean no more CDs with previously unreleased stuff on them.
When they release a soundtrack CD, they digitize only the pieces to be included. It costs a lot of money and takes time to digitize all the remaining unreleased tracks. In addition, it is said that now TAVAC does not have their own functional open-reel player, so they cannot digitize those tracks themselves. Columbia Music Entertainment has to help them do that, but they do not have enough time to agree on such cooperation, I guess.

Gaffer Tape wrote:Are they using a mono mix? Why would they be using a mono mix? Stereo versions of Kikuchi's pieces are readily available, so they've really dropped the ball if they're playing these in mono.
About one third of the released tracks are in mono, and others are in stereo. This is simply because of Columbia's negligence that they clumped down on spending money to remix those mono tracks. All the pieces of background music composed/recorded for DB/DBZ are stored on multi-track audio tapes. Columbia stereo-mixed the pieces that were to be used for a soundtrack CD or "Drama Hen" release during DB series' original run, but after Z ended they stopped bothering to remix all the remaining mono-only pieces just for a CD release of a past show. They could remix and release all of them in stereo on the recent CD releaeses. They just didn't do.
Last edited by kei17 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:36 pm

But why would Toei have to settle for commercially-available CDs? Don't they have access to the original elements? I mean, Toei owns them, don't they?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:46 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:But why would Toei have to settle for commercially-available CDs? Don't they have access to the original elements? I mean, Toei owns them, don't they?
Toei doesn't own the master tapes. Columbia has them. TAVAC also has the mono-copies, but now they don't have any functional 6mm open-reel players.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:41 am

I noticed that the recap was too long compared to other episodes', and the editing of it is kind of sloppy. In addition, there is almost no scene that reminds people of earthquake. They cut some scenes in consideration of the quake victims and added extra one and a half minutes to the recap..?

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:24 pm

kei17 wrote:When they release a soundtrack CD, they digitize only the pieces to be included. It costs a lot of money and takes time to digitize all the remaining unreleased tracks. In addition, it is said that now TAVAC does not have their own functional open-reel player, so they cannot digitize those tracks themselves. Columbia Music Entertainment has to help them do that, but they do not have enough time to agree on such cooperation, I guess.
That makes sense. It doesn't make our situation any brighter though. This, combined with the fact that the DragonBall franchise is about to enter a "dark age" seems to spell it out for me: we're really screwed if we want BGM releases.
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Vhanos
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vhanos » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:51 am

I think when Kai used the music that played at the end of movie 6 was better than what Z used with the track that played at the end in movie 8.