Toriyama's Art Style

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Toriyama's Art Style

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:42 pm

Now I hope this isn't too off topic but, after seeing the Dr. Slump preview in this month's issue of Jump I have to ask this. Seeing as how different Arale and Senbei looked there from how they looked in the DB crossover, did he just change the way he drew them over the years, or did he simply draw them different for the DB crossover?

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:40 pm

Well Toriyama-sensei's art has improved over the years. I just think he got better with every issue he would put out of Dragonball. Other times his art would just seem to look lazy. He kind of varies in his artwork.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:08 pm

I have one of the later Dr. Slump volumes (15); and since they look exactly like they do in the db chapters, I'm assuming Senbei and Arale's apperances changed over the course of the manga, not just for the crossover.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:07 am

Yes, he must've shifted his style a bit while drawing "Dr. Slump". A perfect case of Toriyama's art changing over the years is Dragonball itself! Just look at the soft edges and 'round' characters at the begining of the manga and the sharper edges at the latter part of the series (late Freeza-Buu). The merging point of these styles seems to be Ma Junior through the Saiyan saga.

Porco Rosso

Post by Porco Rosso » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:17 am

His art noticeably improves every time he does something new. Like Chuquita said, as Dr. Slump went on the style changed enough and looked quite similar to the DB crossover designs.

I'd say one of the most noticeable differences in his artwork is the way he draws the eyes:

They got less round and more angular...

Anywho, enough out of me.
[b]Jordan.[/b]

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:44 am

I did quite like though how early on, Senbei was like a prototype of Spike Spiegel. XD

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:31 am

Porco Rosso wrote: I'd say one of the most noticeable differences in his artwork is the way he draws the eyes:

They got less round and more angular...
Uh, Toriyama didnt draw the actuall anime...

Porco Rosso

Post by Porco Rosso » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:37 pm

And your point is...?

It's the same deal, either way.

[b]Jordan.[/b]

spikemcruffy
Beyond Newbie

Post by spikemcruffy » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:48 pm

j
Last edited by spikemcruffy on Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:31 pm

Another noticeable feature about his art style is the muscles. They started getting bigger around the Saiyan story arc, and by the Freeza saga, Son Goku's muscles looked huge. Then by the time Cell and the Androids appeared, the muscles looked slimmer and more defined. I guess that goes along with every thing else in the art style for Dragon Ball...I mean, as the series progressed, everything became less circular and more angular. Even the word bubbles.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:34 pm

I noticed that too, I mean, Kaiô-Ken x3 Goku had bigger muscles than Kaiô-Ken x10-20 o_0

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:19 am

SonGokuGT wrote:Yes, he must've shifted his style a bit while drawing "Dr. Slump". A perfect case of Toriyama's art changing over the years is Dragonball itself! Just look at the soft edges and 'round' characters at the begining of the manga and the sharper edges at the latter part of the series (late Freeza-Buu). The merging point of these styles seems to be Ma Junior through the Saiyan saga.
I noticed that in Budokai 3, they modeled Raditz and Nappa after how they were drawn in the original manga / anime. Meaning, there eyes resemble Toriyama's older art style (more rounded), whereas almost everyone else has the newer style to them. I also noticed, though completely off topic, that they coloured in Krillin's eyes instead of leaving them the same as his skin colour. :P

Oh crap. Did I just necro-post? :?
I clicked a newer topic, then there was a link in it to this topic, and just posted in it. Sorry.