Future Trunks in GT?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:16 pm

tealsmith wrote:
lost in thought wrote:
Nyoibou / Power Pole
Actually I think they kept that. I don't even remember them referring to the Nyoibou in Dragonball Z, but in the Dragonball dub it's called Nyoibou. The only time I've heard it referred to as 'Power Pole' is in Budokai 3.
No you are wrong, the "Nyoibou" is called the "Power Pole" in the Dragonball Dub.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:48 am

B-Kun wrote:Actually, it's supposed to be "Lunch". not "Runch".
Yeah yeah, I know it's 'Lunch' specificly, heh, but I was sort of compensating on the no L' sound thing, so someone who actually knew the language didn't go and say "Well, it wasn't exactly Lunch in the original, because of the 'L' thing", or something to that effect.

But yeah, it's Lunch by general translation, and Launch by FUNi translation. [Pun can be intended, even though it's probably cliché by now.]

Trunks Master Swordsman03
Banned

Post by Trunks Master Swordsman03 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:40 am

& those are what their names are to me. Krillin is not Kururin, & it's the Flying Nimbus, now w/e u said. That is what I've grown up with foe the past 3 years. They are what I know, I could nevere Romanize.

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:09 am

Okay Trunks Master Swordsman, from now on I'm calling you Pencilface. It's not your name, I know, but from now on it's what I know you as. I'm throwing away all preconceived notions of your identity and making something else up.

Do you understand how silly your argument is now, Pencilface?

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:41 am

Pencilface, lol. I wonder... is that what you actually said Mizugi, or was it censored?
Trunks Master Swordsman03 wrote:& those are what their names are to me. Krillin is not Kururin, & it's the Flying Nimbus, now w/e u said. That is what I've grown up with foe the past 3 years. They are what I know, I could nevere Romanize.
First of all, you never ever start a sentence with an ampersand. Also, that's completely illogical. Yes, I can see how someone who has watched the dub and nothing else would want to use the dub names, but you've got to understand that some of them are completely baseless, and if you can't look past your nose about them, maybe the Daizenshuu EX forums aren't the place for you to be posting.

The forums here are comprised of users from all over the world, who understand that their version isn't exactly true to source, so effectively they came here to learn. I was like you too originally, I'd watched the dub for many years, and I thought that was all that there was too it; but I was wrong, I had so many preconcieved notions that were proven wrong, and just so much I didn't grasp- which over these last few months of posting here I've come to realize, understand, and work into my general 'knowledge banks' on the subject in my mind.
Trunks Master Swordsman03 wrote:They are what I know, I could nevere Romanize.
Thats really funny, since um... "Kaioken" is technically a romanization. (Although, if you've only watched DragonBall Z for 3 years, you're probably stuck on the hinge of pronouncing the technique as "Kay-o'-Ken", however it's pronounced as it looks, "Kai-o'-Ken".)

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:50 am

No, it wasn't censored, I said Pencilface. It's a Homestar Runner reference.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:55 am

Mizugi wrote:No, it wasn't censored, I said Pencilface. It's a Homestar Runner reference.
Oh, well thanks for explaining, I don't visit homestar runner... so I don't usually get the references. Heh.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:19 am

Trunks Master Swordsman03 wrote:& those are what their names are to me. Krillin is not Kururin, & it's the Flying Nimbus, now w/e u said. That is what I've grown up with foe the past 3 years. They are what I know, I could nevere Romanize.

The thing about Krillin is that it kills the pun. "Kuri" means "chestnut", I believe.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:29 pm

I'm not going to bash Trunks Master for liking the FUNi dub or using its terms. But okay, let's establish that in the dub Trunks is mentioned, and that it's unsure if it's said in the original.

I myself have only watched the dub (except a few episodes and movies of the original), and that's pretty much the only one I'm familiar with, and I watch it whenever I see it. The dub is still Dragon Ball, but it's not unchanged. Name changes aside (most of them are changed to avoid American fan confusion, or are actual translations or Romanizations for American fans), FUNi's version alters dialogue in many instances throughout the series, as previously said.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:08 pm

*PINHEAD* wrote:I'm not going to bash Trunks Master for liking the FUNi dub or using its terms.
Right, no one is here to bash Trunks Master, however he is being hardheaded on the situation, which is anti-productive for the sort of environment that this is. So, at the end of the day... sometimes you've got to sit back and think to yourself: "Is my preconcieved notion about DragonBall Z not entirely up to snuff?", "Has FUNimation effectively mislead me for three years, with only a partially accurate story?"- and realize that yes, they have, but you can over come this by accepting tidbits of knowledge, and nuggets of wisdom streight from the source. And that is what Daizenshuu Ex is about, Mike has made a respository for factual information from the source material that is as acurate as you could ever find.

Because of this, you've got to listen when someone [factually] answeres your question, and not look to the instances of something found within one of many, many dubs- for the definitive answere. Hell, if the [American] dub was the definitive answere to DragonBall, we would never have seen Kuririn call General Blue a "Flaming Homo" [which even though this could be quite offensive, it's still pretty funny when you look at Blue's personality.]
B-kun wrote:The thing about Krillin is that it kills the pun. "Kuri" means "chestnut", I believe.
You are correct, atleast according to my dictionary.

Banned

Post by Trunks Master Swordsman03 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:26 pm

I am not being hardheaded, I read the Manga aswell, currently I own 8 Volumes, I enjoy the Manga very much, however after learning & hearing Krillin for 3 years, I just cannot say Kururin.

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:15 pm

Trunks Master Swordsman03 wrote:I am not being hardheaded, I read the Manga aswell, currently I own 8 Volumes, I enjoy the Manga very much, however after learning & hearing Krillin for 3 years, I just cannot say Kururin.
Then say Kuririn. :D

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:50 pm

Trunks Master Swordsman03 wrote:I am not being hardheaded, I read the Manga aswell, currently I own 8 Volumes, I enjoy the Manga very much, however after learning & hearing Krillin for 3 years, I just cannot say Kururin.
I don't think people are saying you're being hard headed because of that. I think it has more to do with you insisting that something said in the dub, and trust me, it's only said in the dub, is cold, hard fact and I'm sorry but it's just not. And even if you say that the Saiyan saga dub examples don't count because that dub was screwed up, I can give you examples from other sagas where the dub took liberties.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

dragonpearls
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dragonpearls » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:39 pm

Well, all I have to say is that every one has a right to there own opinion. And Trunks Master Swordsman03 has a right to say his.

....In other words, let the Dubs/Nondubs go and lets go back to the Trunks thing.
[i]......HI! ^_^[/i]

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:48 pm

Ummmmm, I was getting back to the Trunks thing. :? This isn't anything to do with dubs versus subs at least my point wasn't about that. Anyway it had to do with what counts as factual proof and what doesn't.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:41 pm

dragonpearls wrote:....In other words, let the Dubs/Nondubs go and lets go back to the Trunks thing.
Lets not get back on topic, because that would fuel the fire that is Trunks Master's denial of the cold hard truth.
I find that funny, because when I watch DragonBall, all I hear is 'Kuririn', and I know they're saying his dub name, but the pronunciation of the two is quite similar- so it isn't a great stretch.

Banned

Post by Trunks Master Swordsman03 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:08 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean, if you say Kuririn really fast, it sounds like a baby is saying Krillin but can;t pronounce it :lol:

Porco Rosso

Post by Porco Rosso » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:24 pm

tealsmith wrote:
lost in thought wrote:
Nyoibou / Power Pole
Actually I think they kept that. I don't even remember them referring to the Nyoibou in Dragonball Z, but in the Dragonball dub it's called Nyoibou. The only time I've heard it referred to as 'Power Pole' is in Budokai 3.
That's because the Canadian dub named it Nyoibou.
[b]Jordan.[/b]

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:04 pm

Trunks Master Swordsman03 wrote:Yeah, I know what you mean, if you say Kuririn really fast, it sounds like a baby is saying Krillin but can;t pronounce it :lol:
Or rather, if you say "Krillin," it's like an American trying to say "Kuririn" but not quite being able to wrap his gaijin tongue around it. :)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:35 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:Or rather, if you say "Krillin," it's like an American trying to say "Kuririn" but not quite being able to wrap his gaijin tongue around it.
Hahahaha. Anyway, I can't say it... Lol... I just tried for 5 minutes, and I can't pronounce it the way I hear it in my head.

I is so sad. :cry: