Rouga... FUFUKEN! (Translation question)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:52 pm

His fighting style seems to be based on Wolf Kenpo, which is very similar to Dragon Kung Fu.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:03 pm

The S wrote:His fighting style seems to be based on Wolf Kenpo, which is very similar to Dragon Kung Fu.
Not paying attention to fighting styles, I never picked that up :P . I always assumed though that his style would be some kind of far removed version of the Turtle School style. I mean, Grandpa Gohan trained under Roshi, and didn't Yamcha train under Gohan? Or did he just know Gohan?
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:29 pm

tealsmith wrote:
The S wrote:His fighting style seems to be based on Wolf Kenpo, which is very similar to Dragon Kung Fu.
Not paying attention to fighting styles, I never picked that up :P . I always assumed though that his style would be some kind of far removed version of the Turtle School style. I mean, Grandpa Gohan trained under Roshi, and didn't Yamcha train under Gohan? Or did he just know Gohan?
I believe he simply knew who he was.

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:45 pm

Super Sonic wrote:
tealsmith wrote:
I believe he simply knew who he was.
Actually, I think they at least met before. When he first meets Goku, Yamcha recognizes the Nyoibou as being Gohan's, and thinks Goku stole it. So obviously Yamcha had at least met Gohan.
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:50 pm

I assume Son Gohan was known as an established martial artist. Yamcha explains that he had known of Gohan and heard of his supposed grandson with the NyoiBou.

And yeah...it's not so much a transformation as a dramatic image emphasizing the attack style. It's similar to Son Goku when he attacked Piccolo, and the image of the Oozaru appeared behind him. It's used to show that he is striking with that force. Artistic expression, or possibly ki leaking out forming the image of what the attacker is doing, like in Naruto.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:12 pm

*PINHEAD* wrote:I assume Son Gohan was known as an established martial artist. Yamcha explains that he had known of Gohan and heard of his supposed grandson with the NyoiBou.

And yeah...it's not so much a transformation as a dramatic image emphasizing the attack style. It's similar to Son Goku when he attacked Piccolo, and the image of the Oozaru appeared behind him. It's used to show that he is striking with that force. Artistic expression, or possibly ki leaking out forming the image of what the attacker is doing, like in Naruto.
Huh... in the Canadian dub, Yamcha says that he was sure Gohan had no children/grand children, and hence Goku was lying when he said his grandpa gave him the NyoiBou.

Anyways, your explanation of the attack makes a lot of sense.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:12 pm

So the "Shin" in "Shin Rouga Fufuken"... is that true/real, or God?
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:09 pm

The S wrote:So the "Shin" in "Shin Rouga Fufuken"... is that true/real, or God?
It would probably be 'true' or 'new'...I'd have to see the kanji. Where exectly does he use this?

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:07 am

I know close to nothing about Kanji, but in that case, Shin would probably mean something along the lines of "ultimate" or something. It would be devine, which is near ultimate.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:37 am

DBW wrote:
The S wrote:So the "Shin" in "Shin Rouga Fufuken"... is that true/real, or God?
It would probably be 'true' or 'new'...I'd have to see the kanji. Where exectly does he use this?
In his fight with Tenshinhan at the 22nd Budôkai. VIZ called it the Fist of the Wolf Fang Gale Version 2, I think :P

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:23 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:In his fight with Tenshinhan at the 22nd Budôkai.
Thank you.

Yeah, it's "new".

新狼牙風風拳!!! いくぞ!!!

Although it doesn't really seem to do anything. He resorts to the Kame Hame Ha like 3 pages later! :P

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:46 pm

All right, thanks. You've been a big help.