Vegeta's "Galick Gun"...

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

askani son
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Vegeta's "Galick Gun"...

Post by askani son » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:48 pm

I just noticed that while most attacks in the manga are given in thier origional name and a translation in a side note part beside the panels.
Vegeta's attack: "Gyarikku Ho" is the only one I have seen so far that has no translation. Is this attack the "Galick Gun" or was that a name given to it only in the dub?
"I'd rather die than fuse with you!"
"Um...Vegeta, you're already dead."

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:58 pm

It's generally romanized by fans as "Garlic-Ho", and yes, the FUNimation-dub name is the "Galick Gun" and has no real relevance to the original Japanese name.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:35 pm

Being a pun on garlic, I guess it goes along with the whole Saiyan fascination with vegetables. But as we all know, American viewers would be likely to dismiss the pun...I mean, a tremendously powerful energy blast named after garlic? Mmm...well, I always thought it was like "Galactic Gun," or something.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:05 am

*PINHEAD* wrote:I mean, a tremendously powerful blast named after garlic?
I guess you've never talked to someone just after they've eaten an Italian dinner... :P

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:14 pm

I just wonder why a (relatively) insignificant attack that was used in one battle is pimped so thoroughly in the video games...
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:25 pm

I wouldn't call it insignificant at all. The Kamehameha/Galick Gun clash in that fight is one of the bigger moments. It's pretty much the turning point, IIRC, of that entire battle. I'd actually prefer they'd made up a basic Death Move and used the Galick Gun as an ultimate...

Um, as for the name... Maybe they didn't want to confuse people with the 'Garlic Gun/Cannon' and Garlic Jr.? It's a slim chance but it's a chance...
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:42 pm

Xyex wrote:Um, as for the name... Maybe they didn't want to confuse people with the 'Garlic Gun/Cannon' and Garlic Jr.? It's a slim chance but it's a chance...
No doubt it would have happened. I mean, some people thought Pikkon was Namekkian just because he was green and wore weighted clothing, so if Vegeta had an attack with Garlic in the title...

IDIOT FANBOY 987: "OMFG G@R1C JR & V3GETA ARE BR0THERS!"
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:38 am

No, no it would be like this: OMG! Garlic Jr. was Vegeta's sensei!" :D
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:48 pm

The attack itself is insignificant. Basically Vegeta's version of Kamehameha, which was used once.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

askani son
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by askani son » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:45 am

The reason the games milked the Galick gun was because everyone needed a basic beam attack and there was only one instance where Vegeta used one that wouldn't just kill your opponent in one shot :)

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:58 am

Well, techincally, if Goku hadn't known the Kaio Ken Vegeta wouldn't have even needed the Galick Gun, and if he had used it anyway, it would have killed him in one shot. Or if Goku hadn't pushed it back, the Earth would have gone boom and killed everyone in one shot. XP
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:01 am

It would have killed Vegeta too. He would have asphixiated from the loss of atmosphere, though he was too blinded by rage to notice or care.

Gamingdevil
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gamingdevil » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:07 am

Weird, when Cell used it on Vegeta it did hardly damage the envirement.
Who said life isn't a game?

askani son
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by askani son » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:12 am

I do not like being made a fool of...
*Leaps into the air*
"FINAL FLASH"

(Yes, yes I know. I am very immature.)

Gamingdevil
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gamingdevil » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:23 am

I'm not mocking you, I'm just saying that it's very weird that even when their power levels are a million times higher the same amount of damage is done to the earth.

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:33 am

I think it probably goes back to that whole idea of ki control, i.e. how Majin Vegeta's suicide attack did not destroy the earth while it was (logically) no doubt more powerful than 2nd form Cell's suicide attack that would have destroyed the earth.

I imagine it probably is somehow connected to a couple of those way earlier in the series references to focusing ki into a single point.

Gamingdevil
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gamingdevil » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:51 am

I doubt people can focus their Ki while blowing themselves up or transforming in complete rage (like Cells transformation) :?

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:06 pm

Why not? I imagine they have to have some degree of control to even make themselves do it, it's a pretty fantastic idea already, I dont see how controlling how they execute it stretches it any further than the intial concept really.

My (personal) belief was that Vegeta was using control to prevent it from happening, I doubt Cell was trying to control anything thus it would happen.

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Fuujin » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:16 pm

Galick Gun was one of my favourite attacks in the whole series, even if it was only shown once in the manga. I still remember how much impact the Kamehameha vs Galick Gun scene had on me. Stupendous. I even think that it would work better as an Ultimate in Budokai, seeing as it was much more flashy that Big Bang Attack. BBA is the one more appropriate for a Death Move.
It's party time, Ginyu style!

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:13 am

I just wonder why a (relatively) insignificant attack that was used in one battle is pimped so thoroughly in the video games...
Maybe it's in the games to give Vegeta a special attack while not in SSJ? I dunno. Cause most of his other attacks, like Big Bang Attack and Final Flash, were learned AFTER SSJ.
Wasn't it also used during a fight with Cell in the anime? I don't recall very well, but I think Cell used it against someone.